Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornbinder13, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Looking for info on converting 50's IH front drum to disc brakes ?

2. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

What's the spindle pin look like?

Might be able to swap out the entire hub if it's got the 3/4 ton pin.

3. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

It might be easier to swap to a Chevy or Ford front axle and buy a kit. Otherwise you are really on your own creating a caliper bracket and figuring out how to mount rotors either on the existing hub or adapting a rotor/hub to the spindle.

How big of truck is this? What lug pattern do you want to have when you are done?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

Long shot...but you might ask one of the guys making disc kits for other applications. The good guys will at least talk about what is needed and maybe give you some direction. Try olddaddy.

5. Teej

Teej

Check out www.scarebird.com He does a lot of brackets for brakes. I'm going to use some of his stuff when I convert the '58. I've never heard anything negative about his work. Not sure if he does IH stuff, but I'd bet if anyone can do it, he could. Couldn't hurt to ask.

6. english rob

english rob

7. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

8. designs that work

designs that work

If you dont mind six lugs a lot of sprintcars used IHC spindles in the 1960 and 1970's. A senior moment but I believe they were the K9 model, dont quote me on that.
    Good Luck

9. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Exactly.

The 3/4 ton spindle snout on the IH is the same as the Wide5 spindle snout that you find on a lot of circle track cars.

Those all use disk brakes now.

All you'd need to do is buy/build a bracket to mount the caliper on the spindle.

That's assuming you've got the spindle snout I'm thinking about.

If you could measure the ID of the big and little bearing on one hub, we can start to look at what will cross and fit.

10. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

We are not building one, but know somebody who is - can check progress and see if it works for you...

11. Daniel Goldman

Daniel Goldman

Fat chance anybody is on here but any updates on this. I'm doing the same thing right now on a big six lug 58ih.