Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley 94 flooding (video)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moskit, Mar 5, 2016.

1. moskit

moskit
    from London

Guys is that what should happened?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little history on the carb would help, rebuilt etc. If you rock it around as in the video fuel will exit. But I would first double check the fuel pressure with a known gauge. Could be float level too high or needle not seating properly.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Is your throttle open or closed when you apply pressure??? If open yes you will get fuel flowing like that. If it's closed laying flat without tilting no fuel should be exiting. A lot of possibilities. Stuck or incorrect float adjustment, reversed nozzle bars, defective needle valve, incorrect jets and power valve fitment. A lot of poor fitting power valves on the market. If these carbs were rebuilt I would tear it down and begin again. Buy your rebuild kits from Dickster here on the Hamb.

http://dickshotrodcarbs.com/home.html.
    Ps. If it wasn't for George and the boys, I too would have an accent like that. :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    1927graham likes this.
  4. moskit

moskit
    from London

Carbs are rebuild with vintage speed kit. all 3 are the same... but, procomp stuff is shit. disconected it all and fired up straight away

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Congratulations first fire is a good feeling. . You're still going to want to change the jet size and possibly the power valve when running dual carbs.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The original distributors on those engines are poor to say the least. They require a Venturi vacuum from your 94's. Running two carbs doesn't provide enough vacuum for this distributor to advance properly. GMCbubba here on the Hamb sells a distributor for your needs with years of quality and good service.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not familiar with Holley 94 carbs, so will defer to the experts, but the first thing I see is that you cannot rely on that pressure regulator alone without a pressure gauge. IME the numbers on the regulator do not correlate very well with the actual pressure allowed, you really need a gauge. It is very possible that the pressure is overriding the needle valve and allowing fuel to overflow the float bowl, and from there the fuel is being pushed out through the idle jet or even the main jet and flooding the carb. Put a gauge on it and be sure of what the pressure actually is.

Petejoe likes this.
  8. moskit

moskit
    from London

Got the gauge fitted, but it`s normally with 3 carb setup. i pump now somewhere around 1.5 psi... i feel great now you know. hope has return and at least i can carry on. speedwaymotors must exchange that procomp ecu and than i fit this with magnetic pickup distributor that i intended to use,

Petejoe likes this.
  9. You did check your floats for leakage by putting them in hot water?.......You can run up to 2.5 PSI fuel pressure. Power valves will depend on your running vacuum. Running together I would start with 3.5 PV's. Make sure you are using the flat PV's or the thick gasket with the (new style) tapered valves. Change your distributor to a modern one using manifold vacuum, you will VERY happy with the results. call Bubba.........Rick

10. moskit

moskit
    from London

See i have modern procomp dizzy and cdi ignition. Could't get it to fire.... Took that cdi unit to work stripped and measured all and guess what..... The coil wires are in wrong color/polarity. Black is positive and orange is ground where instruction state opposite. Haven't run it yet... New movie on Friday with more results

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hope you notice we keep going back to more carb work. Even with your procomp working, please be sure to tend to that.

12. moskit

moskit
    from London

Sure thing Petejoe. It's next on the list. What I'm thinking is maybe hookup oxygen sensor as some kind of exhaust analyser

13. Glad I found this thread, my question is in regards to a red ram hemi with 3 of these on it. I had fuel pouring out the headers and in the pan. The engine was temporarily hydro locked. Would these problems mentioned be caused by what others have suggested?

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why'd ya remove the videos?

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Please make a new thread on this subject instead of confusing the issue with two different engines and different problems.

16. All I asked is if the problems could be related. Didn't feel people would be that confused about it. A sole yes or no would have worked, god damn.

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sorry Nick didn't mean to upset you. But your question would lead to more questions and before you know it we would have two conversations going on at the same time. If you'd like my quick answer it would be yes.

18. Thats all I needed to send me off in the right direction. Very similar problem and induction set up, but happens with the engine off instead of running. I'm on the right track now, just didnt want to get shit for starting another thread thats been covered before. Thanks.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you get it going. It would be nice to have ever see anything I worked on in public. People are starting to call me a liar.

Traditional?

20. It was running super killer on Saturday and on Monday. Then yesterday it fucked up. I started another thread about the problem.

Petejoe likes this.