Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Underrated

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 4, 2016.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Underrated

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

AndersF and gwhite like this.
  2. Cool car. That 3/4 rear shot is what makes it for me. Anyone happen to know what rear axle was used? Just looks interesting.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Cool looking T, and definitely different with the narrowed body and SCoT huffer. I love proto-bucket T's. I can't imagine it passed too many gas stations with that wee Moon tank though...

Its a Columbia 2-Speed

4. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

The worse thing about Ts , they are small. Still a good economical way to have a Hot Rod....

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've always like T's off all sorts. that one looks like it would be a bit narrow if it were a dude in the passenger seat.

6. Squablow

Squablow

There's a fine line between genius and insanity, and that is never truer than in the mind of the man that looks at a T roadster body and thinks "this body is too damn big, I'm going to cut this thing down to size."

Of course I think T roadsters are underrated, treated as second-class bodies, probably due to some of the overdoneness of the Fad T, but we're bringing them back strong! T's of the world unite!

7. louisb

louisb

I have always wanted a 26/27 t roadster. Just not sure I would actually fit in it. There are a couple of nice ones in the classifieds right now I keep eyeing.

--louis

8. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I built my 27 to run injected:
    injected.jpg

injected motor.jpg
    And then put a cross ram setup on to sell:
    motorgood.jpg If it doesn't sell soon, the injectors are going back on it (I had a lot of fun messing w/ them- my girlfriend complained about me smelling like gas all the time however)...I can switch back and forth in an afternoon.

bct, 30tudor, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  9. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love the Injection = not HAMB friendly but convert & try MegaSquirt electronic injection. What fuel pump do you run? Nice 'T'; love the altered wheel base. "bring back t's"

10. von Dyck

von Dyck

That rear end is a Columbia 2 Speed - probably modified from a '42 to '48 banjo style Ford/Merc.

I prefer the '15 to mid '22 roadster/touring body style. Then the '23 to '25. Then the '26 '27s. It goes without saying that Grabowsky had a lot to do with it!

As people are physically larger now, and conditioned to the roominess of later model automobiles, the 'T' Bucket feels very cramped.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  11. Yeah,but we were thinner back then:D.

12. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

4 Gallon Enderle (80a -0), no interest in efi on this car. Actually made it work quite well mechanically.

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. God love you, Joey for bringing up the beloved T...

They are impractical...they are cramped...they are simple...they come from a time bereft of modern excess; where waistlines and wallets were slimmer. They're the foundation, and, in my humble but correct opinion, the very definition of hot rod fodder!

At 6'3" and with legs as gangly as a Texas railroad, there ain't much room in stock configuration...but with a seat riser mod and some creative engineering, I fit quite comfy in my '26-7 roadster tub...honestly, moreso than in a closed cab A pickup or coupe.

A quick glance through the AHRF archives or any one of the Montgomery books illumines the importance of the T; especially in the 30's-40's. The preponderance of gow-job and early era T builds here on the HAMB gives me hope that, at long last, the 'Tin Lizzy' will get her due.

14. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

There for a minute from your title I thought this was going to be another 307 Chevy thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. louisb

louisb

Sounds like we might be about the same size so this gives me hope.

--louis

16. Holler at me when you get to building...I'd be happy to help!

louisb likes this.
  17. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Mines for sale.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ok kiddies, I'm a deuce guy but Bucket T's still blow my dress up.
    Never had one but helped a couple friends with their builds in the late 60's, early 70's.
    Turtle decks, shorty beds, track nose, T shell, whatever, hell even a beer keg if well matched to the car. Also dig the single seat modifieds, at least most of them if their not too out there, you know the guy, does some creative stuff, but out there a bit for me.
    Now something that I also was kinda selective about were the C-cabs,, when done right.
    Not much about them comes up anymore, go for it, we all still love them if we're truthful.
    Oh, one more thing, has to have a MOTOR In it, small motor, big hp, big motor, more hp.
    Haven't found photo I'm remembering that stopped me in my tracks, you know the one. Pre-26 T with either T-deck or shorty bed, can't quite picture it from the rear, may even have wheelie bars.
    Blown Hemi, Enderle Bugcatcher, baffled zoomies I'm positive, big wing, BIG slicks on BIG Hals, spindle mounts/skinnies, nearly a street legal Winged Express. Picture in many rags covering big events (midwest, not sure), Big dude, hair, beard, female passenger.
    One bad actor.
    My minds eye wants to picture another one, has most of the above (IIRC), but with faired in front wheel pods. Radical street legal car (again IIRC).
    Now you can get a feel of what I really like, a car with too much motor is just right.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

First one was Bill Wendt, second with the wheel pants was Steve Group. I can round up photos of both, but it will take a little time.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OMFG George
    Not only are you the quickest, but you are DEAD ON on both cars/owners names.
    How do you do it!
    Time---in time I know you will find them first I can't even move a cardboard box of rags.
    I'm not going anywhere soon, surgery/couch detained with multiple pill bottles at my disposal. They did say I'd be "a bit amped up". Hence all this crazy keyboard action lately.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You could also change the nozzles, pill, re-set the barrel, and see how she like the smell of methanol.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. i spoke to Jules a few months back asking him about where the T went. He sold it long time ago and had no idea where it went but its good to know that he is still actively in the hot rod world. He is trying to build a modern version of his T but with a 4cyl eco boost motor from ford along with retaining the old look of his car.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OK
    A special thanx to @falcongeorge for "hook'n a brother in need" up.......fast.
    Attention:
    The following HAMB thread link(5 yrs old) contains "Street Rod" material, ya don't like it, move on.
    More important reason for reviving this is to show how much fun people had at bigtime national events in the 70's. Read all (3) pages, it is a HOOT.
    I started this by requesting information in my previous post about a certain T Roadster.
    I think George had his reply typed and sent before I could get the post finished.....unreal.
    Look at my earlier posts' description of said T, You will know which one once you open the link and scan the photos (75 NSRA Nats). Enjoy the stories too, many current HAMB'rs contributed to it.
    Like a ride in a time machine without the "jet lag".

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Phillips likes this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd had pictures of the Winged Express on my wall since I was eight, when I first saw pics of Bill Wendts car, it just blew my teenage mind. Unforgettable car.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn straight George, I'm with ya there!
    The Wendt T Roaster: the first real deal, no excuses "Mind Bender" for me.
    Thanks for the memories.

32partsguy likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a PHR article on it somewhere, I will find it sometime today...

30. Squablow

Squablow

One of the reasons I think T roadsters (especially the early ones) are underrated is the extreme popularity of the T-bucket or "Fad-T" style. That's not a criticism of the bucket style, if anything, it's a credit to them that they've stood the test of time and remain popular 50+ years later, so much so that some people don't even consider them if they're going for an earlier look.

But the T roadster body was a prime choice early on and can make a great choice for an early themed build. The Iskenderian T is one of my period favorites (first pic), the car in the second pic is a build from the HAMB (unfortunately I forgot the builder's name) and was a big inspiration for what I'm doing with my '26 (last pic).

iskycurb.jpg
    Tgow.jpg
    03-31-15 009.jpg

T-roaster, KoolKat-57, bct and 6 others like this.