Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need a little help with wrapping steering wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Mar 4, 2016.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

My coupe has one of those wood covered chrome Superior steering wheels. The wood grips are starting to come loose, so, since the car has an old dirt track race car theme, I would like to wrap the steering wheel like they used to do back in the day. Only problem is, I have no idea what they used or how they did it. I ASSume they wrapped the wheel with rope and then covered it with electrical tape, but I'm not sure. I didn't give it much thought back then, and there are not many old racers around these parts to ask anymore.

So, I thought my HAMB brothers might be able to help me out. The wheel I want to wrap is a 15" diameter wheel. I assume it gets wrapped with 1/4" cloth clothes line rope. but how was that done so it didn't keep unwrapping? Instructions or a like to a U tube would be great.
    I need to know the diameter of the rope, how it was done, about how long of a piece of rope it takes, and what they covered it with. I would think elerctrical tape would be a mess in pretty short order. Any advice? Thanks, Gene

Attached Files:

2. BigEd

BigEd