Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hubcaps

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Born-2-Late, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

Hubcaps.jpg Does anyone know what these wheelcovers are from? They are stainless the 3 bar part is removable weigh a ton and have been hanging in my dad's shop for as long as I can remember.

2. Rand Man

Rand Man

Oldsmobile Starfire?

3. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

Has 3 what looks like the planet Saturn raised between each of the tribars and looks as tho that part was once painted white

4. 'Mo

'Mo

1956 olds.

[​IMG]

traffic61 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

Yep ty it's been driving me crazy everyone ask now I can answer haha

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I ran a set of those on my '53 F-100 for years. For future reference, hubcaps.org

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The painted part was originally painted silver.

8. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

Pops always said "that's not a tribar that's a representation of the Doberman Pinscher you had to chain to each wheel to keep people from stealing them" haha

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yep, they are desirable.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

I have a guy polishing them up but the original caps and rings I have on now it growing on me... only have 2 of the Olds ones but I have a original set of foxcraft skirts that was also hanging in the shop so you won't see the back wheels.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You run the pair on front with the skirts on back, and you'll be golden! :D

Born-2-Late and brad2v like this.
  12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You must be one of the few who hasn't read the thread: "Spinners won't spin". I guess you're living up to your handle.:D

13. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

image.jpg Hey if you you thinking about putting those caps on the shoebox stock wheels - sorry they won't fit - been there done that - I ended up doing the Larry Watson trick he did on Grapevine.

Born-2-Late likes this.
  14. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

I already had them on the car. Had some wheels behind the shop under a table that came from who knows where that fit perfect received_1097984630232063.jpeg received_1097984666898726.jpeg

15. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

I have four of them, they are from Oldsmobile in 1956, I think they call them ''Fiesta''.
    I also have four 1955, the spinners are not the same.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Born-2-Late likes this.
  16. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

Jcmarz,
    I admit I'm young and naive but history and all things old is my passion at the age of 16 my youngest friend was 38yrs old and now I'm 38yrs old and my best friend is a 68yr old Vietnam Vet. My dad will be 75yrs old in June. I grew up dirt poor dad worked 2 jobs mom worked 3 jobs. I grew up in a really rural area in Alabama and went to a county school so I never had friends my age due to my parent never had the time off work to take me to kids house to play nor did I get to play sports because they couldn't take me to practice or to games. I grew up running in the woods with a good dog or keeping my mouth shut hanging out in garages with my dad and very smart guys like you all lis tending to them and absorbing all the info I could. As I got older I realized I had no interest in hanging out with ppl my age because I couldn't learn anything from them. I hold more knowledge than most men twice my age (mostly useless facts haha) However I still keep my mouth shut and ask millions of questions due to my upbringing. Plus I never waste a opportunity to learn so this forum is like hitting the lotto for me haha. Tho I'm no longer poor and make really good money now I still only want old stuff (I even buy new boots then give them to my friends little brother in exchange for the ones he has already wore in) I have $15,000 in parts in the 50' in that picture aND as your can see i hAvent evendors starter on cosmetics. I could have bought a restored one for that however it has been a personal thing for me to sweat and bleed over every bolt in it due to being told I couldn't realistically have it as a daily driver I have spent every extra dime I had and every minute I could spare for the last 2yrs to make sure I turned every wrench on it and let no one else do it. I Even built the flathead myself. My ultimate goal is to make a car any average blue collar kid could have had in the late 50's early 60's. I'm adamant about being period correct learning all I can and using N.O.S. unless impossible if it takes me 6 Mos extra to afford a part that is n.o.s. instead of a remanufactured part then that's what I do. I also collect little pieces to put in it from the old men I know or meet. Even down to the leather Keychain That belonged to a 98yr old man that lived next to me and died in 1988. The car will never be sold. Right now I'm on a mission to find a 52-54 buick carb for it. The old stromberg 4 barrel. After finding out about them by reading this forum I won't settle til I have one for it. Haha

17. Born-2-Late

Born-2-Late

I remember asking a old man when I was a kid "why do you have those things on the back?" (The skirts) he looked at me dead in the eye and said "Son real customs don't have back wheels" then smiled haha

belair and arkiehotrods like this.
  18. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

'56 Olds FIESTAs - . Best of all the '50s spinners. IMG_5647.JPG

traffic61 likes this.
  19. Those Olds flipper caps were the Bee's Knees in the late 50's. Your Dad knew; that's why he held onto them. Run them with pride.

Born-2-Late likes this.
  20. e z i

e z i

1953-55, fiestas. 1956, starfires.

falcongeorge and Hnstray like this.
  21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I just read this post and really enjoyed it. A great read, thanks:)

Born-2-Late likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, '56 olds starfire. I have a set for my '39, and yes, they are desirable, and fairly difficult to find, scarcer than '55/'56 dodge lancers.