Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie Here With a Big Job To Do

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by BoilermakerDave, Mar 4, 2016.

1. I've always had good luck with impulse buys, but this one might have broken my streak. While visiting relatives last winter I did my standard tour through my uncle's wrecking yard and spied a shoebox Ford with louvers on the hood - a '50 Club Coupe with a '51 hood and Chevy grille with a few extra teeth. Oh, that's cool. It has a flathead (that runs like a champ!) with Red's headers and Smithy's glasspacks. I snapped a photo and went on my way, looking at other cool stuff.

After getting home I couldn't stop thinking about the car. A couple months later I called my uncle and settled on a deal that I thought was great, so I sent him a check. After a long wait, a trailer was finally headed to southern Nevada from northern Oregon, pulled by a friend from Arizona. So I finally got my dream car.

I have rescued a lot of cars from the crusher in my time, most of them not worthy of the H.A.M.B., but I'll mention them here: a '52 Ford 1-ton dually (my first car) with a swapped-in 352; a '52 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup with a '54 235 I-6; a 54 International (yeah, I was a country boy, lotta pickups back then). Okay, then I got civilized: '67 Simca; '65 Mustang; '71 VW bus; '67 Cadillac Calais; '79 Jeep CJ-7; '86 Bronco; '96 Thomas school bus being turned into a camper...

Okay, you get the picture, I'm no stranger to a wrench. But this shoebox Ford could test my limits. My uncle told me over the phone that it would need new floor pans. Well shee-it that was an understatement, but I can't really blame him - he's got about four hundred cars, so he can't know all of them too well.

So here I go. It's a coupe, so it's worth saving. It will never be a beautiful restoration, at least not on my budget, but I will make it cool through hell or high water. I want to drive it sometime before I die. photo 1.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. zip357

zip357
    from fresno,tx

Welcome looks like you have a good head start looks nice.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. welcome, thats somebodies dream your saving

4. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT I HAVE A 51 VICTORIA KUSTOM THAT I DRIVE EVERY CHANCE I GET

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome to the HAMB.
    That doesn't look bad from that angle.......

Attached Files:

6. Stick with it. Love those shoe-box Coupes. Welcome to the HAMB.

7. Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll need some advice along the way...

8. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

hang it will get better

9. The floor pan before I started hacking:

Attached Files:

10. As of now:

Attached Files:

11. Just for kicks, here's the motor:

Attached Files:

12. Dutchwonder

Dutchwonder

I thought you wrote the floor pans were shot. Hell, I'm seeing more metal on that floor than 3-4 other similar shoebox restorations combined!

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks very good to me! The floor is no big deal, I would have said it needs some repair! Gary

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool Find/Save ! Welcome !

15. welcome to the H.A.M.B., nice car with a nice grill treatment. and a good car to learn some metalwork..
    have fun,

Cheers, Carsten