Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. sorry not on facebook

D-Russ likes this.
  2. Ha Ha, I wasn't either until this contest Dave. It ended a while ago and I didn't win.

3. From Rodder's Journal:
    Brian Jennings of Martinez, California, is in the final assembly stages on his '60 Chevy Biscayne. He plans to debut the car at this year's West Coast Kustoms Cruisin' Nationals with a set of polished Rocket Strikes.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  4. MP&C

MP&C

They saw those shiny hub caps and figured the new wheels would never make it on Miss Vicky. o_O

D-Russ and Martin_F like this.
  5. hasty

hasty

The wheels you were after are nice and I thought you deserved to win, but in all honesty I suspect your car looks better the way it is.

MP&C and D-Russ like this.
  6. crusty&rusty

crusty&rusty

Wow- didn't realize how much you did to your Vicky until I read your build from the start! Great hanging out with you guys at Detroit.

loudbang, MP&C and D-Russ like this.
  7. Thanks man! (I've already forgotten your name) It was really nice to meet and hang with you guys too. :)

loudbang and MP&C like this.
  8. should have sent a pic of it on some plywood rollers to show your need.o_O

DBruce, D-Russ and MP&C like this.
  9. I've made a couple of little additions/changes to Miss Vicky. First, I had Michael Hall add some conservative "Tommy" style stripes and tear drops in black and white, and I made a new headlight bar to move the headlights up and back to get rid of the unsightly gap between the lights and the grill shell when viewed from the side.

IMG_18371_zpskfmszyns.jpg

IMG_2197_zpshv1vrca2.jpg

IMG_2276_zpshqddgsbc.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  10. Lookin' sweet, Dave!!

D-Russ likes this.
  11. MP&C

MP&C

Awesome!

D-Russ likes this.
  12. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Damn, that is sharp!

D-Russ likes this.
  13. hasty

hasty

Looks great from the front - side view?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    D-Russ likes this.
  14. I was just going to ask the same thing!

D-Russ likes this.
  15. Dave,
    As good as those headlights looked before , you definitely improved on the "the look". Keep up the good work.

D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  16. You can really see the headlight problem in the photo in post number 1146 above. The headlights are just too far in front of the grill, and the gap when viewed from an angle bothers me. I had to move them up clear the upper shock mounts and to move them back. Here's a photo that shows the old position and the new position:
    IMG_2202_zpsxnmh8uvl.jpg

And here's where they are now:
    IMG_2213_zpsnbntr7g6.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  17. Very nice, Dave and thanks for the pics .....

Tom

D-Russ likes this.
  18. hasty

hasty

Thank you!

D-Russ likes this.
  19. D-Russ likes this.
  20. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

If your Vicki doesn't get me motivated to build mine nothing will. Very very nice!

D-Russ likes this.
  21. Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

Please don't take my deleted posts personally, it was just becoming a silly debate. If the title says 30, and all documented records say there were 6,300 built in 30, then it's a 30. So sell it as a 30!

And good luck with the 31. I've got a few extra pieces left over, but your car looks pretty complete. Shoot me a conversation if you have any questions. Have you discovered how much wood is in them yet?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  22. A little update – I took Miss Vicky out to the local drag strip to play around a little bit. She's a good little runner, but my tree skills need a lot of help. The first clip (shot by Martin Fuchs) is us leaving our pit area to get in the staging lanes. The track announcer and the revving of multiple high horsepower engines set the scene.

And here I am lined up against my buddy Sam in his killer 57 BelAir (also shot by Martin Fuchs). I red lighted, but since I was running Sam for the first time, I stayed in it for most of the pass just to see what Miss Vicky would do. I let off a little before the quarter mile mark, resulting in a fairly mundane 15.44 ET @81 MPH. If I get my start right and stay in it, I should easily get into the 14s at about 100 MPH. We'll see.

Jeff Norwell, Stogy, MP&C and 9 others like this.
  23. Cool stuff Dave.

24. Same run, from inside the car:

cactus1, Jeff Norwell, clem and 6 others like this.
  25. That's a cool view down the track Dave. I need to go do that. I haven't run down the track in years.

26. Dave, where were you running? That looks like a really nice track.

27. Yes you do Jason, It's a lot of fun. Do you do the 1/8th mile at Colonial Beach?

Tom, it's Richmond Dragway, out by the airport. Built in 1964, I believe. They keep it up pretty well because they still run IHRA events there. It's $17 on Friday night open nights for as many passes as you can fit in.

loudbang likes this.
  28. I used to. I've had several OT cars that I used to flog there. Myself and a buddy started building a 56 Chevy with a straight axle in it just to race but the project got sold off. Its now owned by a guy on the HAMB and the car is called "old dirty bastard". Its nasty. Wish we still had it!

lothiandon1940 and DBruce like this.
  29. 'Mo

'Mo

Chit, Dave! Where I been?
    When I was calling out for my 216, you were front row center with the SBC. (I was hoping for FH action. Got none!:rolleyes:)
    Now you're making passes against other OHV V8's. You go, guy! Any run's better than none! Right? You got game!

BTW, What is "srdf"?

P.S., Joe Weis lived next door to my sister. I worked in his concession stand in the pits at Richmond Dragway while in high school in the late sixties.
    Rock-a-Billy music with "Buddy Carter and the Rock-a-tones" at the Ashland Moose Lodge, Sat. night til 2:00 AM.
    Chinese food at Joy Garden at 3:00, Joe picking me up Sunday morning for free Dragstrip thrills...School Monday morning.
    Best time of my life...except for the school.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    DBruce, loudbang and D-Russ like this.