Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 chevy over heating issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schmmich, Feb 25, 2016.

1. schmmich

schmmich

took my 53 for a cruz today and ran into the same issue thats been plaguing me. after about 4 miles of driving i stopped at the parts store, when i came back out i noticed a small puddle under her and it was pretty hot on the gauge so ran it home just a couple blocks away when driving the temp went down to normal. when i popped the hood water was gushing out the, what i take it as the weep hole (underneath the pulley on the shaft) and also from up against the block, it was also making a chugging noise from the thermostat housing. this is the third water pump ive had on it in as many months and ive had those pumps on and off about 8 times between them. ive cleaned the surface till you could eat off it, used a gasket with permatex sealant, used only silicone. every time its the same it wont leak for a month then it will. needless to say im starting to get pissed. so the help i need is with why its over heating and is there something that can be making the seal fail on the water pump?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pis of motor. changed brands of pumps? good hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, etc?

3. Are all the replacement pumps from the same place? The only other thing I can think of is too tight a fan belt.

4. schmmich

schmmich

ive been getting remans from napa. just today i picked up a brand new one. radiator,cap, hoses, thermostat are all new.

5. BJR

BJR

Are you running antifreeze or a water pump lubricant?

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some suggestions, no more than a #7 cap, leave the water level 1 to 1-1/2" below the top. That eliminated the same kind of problem fore me.. Good luck

7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

perhaps the your thermostat staying shut. or fucking radiator is clogged up. or a hose is collapsing. i'm guessing it's not your water pump by now. One new thought in the six-cylinders have sometimes a tube in the block that directs water to the rear cylinders in a measured amount and perhaps that's clogged... missing or something.

8. schmmich

schmmich

im using antifreeze, 4 lbs cap. i ran her again today didnt do anything to it and its not leaking at all. it doesnt make sense.

9. Is this with the new pump?

10. verde742

verde742

perhaps lower hose is collapsing,? Is there a wire in it?