Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox Dash Metalflaking + Hidden Radio Laid Off $0 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mr.Dickies, May 10, 2012.

1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429556481.374984.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429556502.438319.jpg
    Used a sharpie to scribe the shoebox bumper to 49 chevy guard
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429556566.072052.jpg
    Mounted with 50 New Jersey plate. I can't work on the car really because I got hurt at work and had surgery and more than likely will need another. When arm is fixed stage two will start. Until then I'm enjoying my family.

Eric H likes this.
  2. EBW

EBW

Good update. Keep at it when you can. Get the little guy out there !!

3. U-235

U-235

I'm planning to use the Volvo box in my 51......what did you need the puller for....? I've read where you can use either the Ford pitman arm or the Volvo...either one. I also have read the using a sbc with the Volvo is troublesome....do you have any insight into that...(or anybody..?)

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think you have problems with any steering boxes,when using sbc.Some guys use Chevy Nova oil pans to solve drag link clearance issues.
    I had issues with the Nova pan,but i think thats because i mocked it up with TH700.The front of the pan hitted on the front crossmember.I guess those Nova pans works better with TH350,they are a bit shorter than TH700's.
    I used the original 283 oil pan,there was a slight clearance issue with the draglink.I just had to make a small notch on the rear of the pan and that fixed it.

5. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

The puller because you have to move the Volvo arm to the correct location. You have to also taper the hole to slip onto the stock stuff. Don't know anything about with a chevy motor I have a 302 in mine I do know you have to raise up the flathead slightly to get it to fit in.

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Threads not dead just haven't worked on the shoebox because of my arm and because I'm redoing the house. So here's a few progress pictures. Still debating chopping it over the winter. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446823700.957237.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446823753.107163.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446823806.573902.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446823843.191754.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446823860.377297.jpg
    Did take it to trunk or treat at my son's school can't say I ever heard of it before he asked me to do it. It was the first time I drove it more than a few blocks in over a year and a half. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446824094.110598.jpg My wife with my son Tyler as Mikey tmnt.

7. Eric H

Eric H

Good to see her out on the road.

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Sneak peak of things to come.

Attached Files:

9. The plot thickens... :D

10. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Just curious, how do your taillights mount? I'm assuming from inside the trunk somehow... Also do you just use the lens or is the chrome bezel hidden in there too. Did you just bend up some 1/4" rod for the perimeter opening and then fill in the gaps with sheetmetal?

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

TSO57 yes they mount from inside with bolts welded to the inside. No chrome bezel just the lenses. And yes round rod bent to shape and sheetmetal to fill into openings. Some guys like tunneled and others stock this is my version. It took me 2 hours to do both sides.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  12. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Thanks for the info - this is my favorite way to see them frenched as well. Nice work!

I'll be looking forward to the chop!

13. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Measurements on rear C pillar and back window. The part of "cat walk" was marks 3/4" past the bend. How much that was laid down. Last picture is of stock trim laid chopped windshield. Front is chopped 2 1/2" rear is about 3 1/2 - 4 inches. I didnt want to go crazy and make it a cartoonish chop. At this point I am about 15 hours into it.

Attached Files:

daddio211, EBW and stealthcruiser like this.
  14. Chris, how did you mount the bumper guard?

15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

It has two bolts that mount it thru the bumper so you have to drill holes for the bolts

captaintaytay likes this.
  16. Nice work on the chop, glad you kept it mild. Tough to get the chop right on a coupe.

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I couldn't make the catwalk piece all in one piece because of my piece of crap arm so I made it in 4 pieces.

Attached Files:

tattoos by brandon, daddio211 and EBW like this.
  18. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Thanks I totally agree about coupes being tough to get right. I don't like the cartoon look they can take on with too crazy of a chop. I just wanted to get the rear bubble out of the back. Make the average person to wonder if it was stock or not.

19. I just found and read all pages on this thread. I love it. Especially the part about round and rounds.lol

20. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Michael it's been a long journey. The toughest part has been my injury and trying to recover. It's hard to come to grips with depending on which Dr I believe that I lost between 80%-45% use of my once dominate arm. My son is my very funny.

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

19 hours in.

Attached Files:

daddio211, EBW and rodncustomdreams like this.
  22. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

About 26 hours into it. Ran out of shielding gas so I was delayed and the local welding shop closed and the other one stopped filling tanks. Skirts and no skirts.

Attached Files:

23. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Looking great! I think no skirts can look really good with the right wheels / hubcaps. I also like the idea of a flush mounted skirts similar to yours and then '54 wheel lips up front to match the flare on the skirt. It would be hard to choose a winner.

Have you had to make any curved panels for your chop? That is a major obstacle for me as I don't have the tools or skills. It almost looks as if you've avoided it with some careful planning. I'll be watching closely!

24. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I would love to make flush mounted skirts its on the list. I have the wheels off my son's Henry J on there now but have 56 lincoln hub caps and different steelies to go on it. The pieces I have made with the english wheel is the rear catwalk sections and the filler pieces that fit into the sail panels "c" pillars. To be honest anyone can do it. According to my dr I have lost between 45-80% use of my dominate arm. One dr said 80% one said 25% one said 45% so my guess is 75%. You can chop a car if you can weld and read a tape measure. I made templates for the rear corners and front windshield to make sure both sides match. This is my first chop by myself since high school. I helped with a few chevys at a shop I use to hang out at 5 years ago. The metal work isnt perfect. I redid a few parts I wasnt happy with but its just metal and can be fixed. Tool list is welder, grinders, sawzall,planishing hammer" because its hard for me to hammer and dolly with my arm", hammer and dollies, 5 inch makita sander, small air compressor, 2 bike lifts to raise the roof up and down, 20 cut off wheels, 4 sawzall blades, clamps,clecos and tubing to hold everything from moving.

Attached Files:

michael knight likes this.
  25. zip357

zip357
    from fresno,tx

I vote for skirts . Man it's looking good . And the chop is dead on good job..

26. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Thanks. I have debated doing it for years. I'm pretty happy with it.

27. 1936dodge

1936dodge

Nice work.Hope your arm gets better.That's a shame.

28. Nice chop, very mild. Very nice look.
    Oh yea!, I found a Bumper guard for mine, it's off a 54 chevy with lic. plate mount and light.
    I had to be crafty to win the bid, lost on two others. This was a good find.
    I'll shoot you a pic when it arrives.

29. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Stock trim doesnt fit so well

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yep,looks good.It is really hard to make coupe look good when its chopped.Looks like you made it!