Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat-N-Low's '64 C-10 thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat-N-Low, Jul 3, 2013.

1. The wife had to work on New Years Day, so I stayed out in the garage all day and worked on the grille surround. I had a full day in just cleaning and prepping the backside, I shot some Rust Reformer on the back, and acid washed the front to get rid of the surface rust.. After that was done, I shot the backside in chassis black. The black paint on the front side was looking shabby as well, so I gave it a light coat of SEM black. I had to paint this area because the core support shows through the grille, and the black paint will now match up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Because I eliminated my in-cab tank, I wasn't sure how I was going to fill the open hole in the cab. In the past, I would have made a filler panel and welded it in, but because I was trying to keep the original patina, that wasn't an option. I was going through some stuff the other day and came across an old mag wheel cap that measured out perfectly. I needed a way to secure the cap, so I went to Lowes and got the stuff I needed. I bought a 4" expanding pipe plug ($4.99) and a bronze bushing with a 1/4" i.d. and a 3/8" o.d. ($2.91).
    [​IMG]
    To make the cap fit flush to the cab's filler neck grommet, I milled down the four raised areas inside the cap and opened the 10/32" hole to 1/4-20. The cap is soft, so I just ran the 1/4" tap down the existing hole and used a lot of penetrating oil to lube the tap and flush out the chips. I used a section of the pipe plug as the backing plate, as because it has a bevel on the backside, it'll fit perfectly into the cab grommet.
    [​IMG]
    I popped the bronze bushing in the center hole and did a test fit using a 1" 1/4-20 bolt and washer.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is in it's installed position. It's nice and tight, also waterproof!
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and slack like this.
  3. I got some time this week to work on the truck, so I bent up some hard lines to use as wiring conduits on the top of the engine. These hold the A/C and the choke wiring. I used 3/8" line (30" lengths, bought at NAPA), and supported it with 8.5mm plug wire seperators. I bought the separators on eBay for $14.99 for a complete set. They work perfectly when supporting a 3/8 line. I also snuck in the vacuum advance line by sliding a 3/16" line inside the 3/8" and plumbing the ends with the rubber line. The ends of the 3/8 line are capped with rubber caps that I trimmed and drilled the center out for the wire to go through. This keeps water out of the hard line and prevents corrosion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. YJ4000

YJ4000

Thanks for the update!! I really like your attention to detail. I may use your steel line idea.

Ryan.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I was wondering what happened to this build very informative. Good to see some updates, nice work.

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

You're attention to detail is fun to watch.
    I look forward to seeing it on Father's day. That's always been a great day to debut a car. Dinner is on me!

7. Heydon

Heydon

Watching thread- great work and learnings lots- thanks

Will your rear wheel/ tyre combo fit under stock rear tubs. Truck is 3 inches lower than stock, SWB.

Thanks

8. Yep, the wheel tubs are all stock, but the original bedfloor has been moved up 3 inches. If you're just 3" lower than stock, your original tubs and bedfloor location will work just fine.

9. Heydon

Heydon

Thank you- will order the tyres up!

Looking forward to the next update. :)

10. Must be out smoking those ET's :D

11. 70L34

70L34
    from Detroit

Any updates? Awesome truck.

12. Jaroy

Jaroy

Any updates on this truck? I’m dying to see the finished project.

13. He just said he's back on this project in another thread. Hopefully some updates soon!

kidcampbell71 and porkshop like this.
  14. Great build love the slam ET 5 spokes, did you ever finish the truck :cool::cool::cool::cool:

15. Thanks for bumping this thread back up! I was following along years ago, but had forgotten about it. I always liked this truck and the attention to detail. Now that I own a couple of these and am building one with my son, I need to go back through it all.

16. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Yes I really like his truck. Lot's of great ideas.

Would love to see more, but it looks like @Flat-N-Low hasn't been on here since 2019 though.

17. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I keep in touch with Alex (flat-n-low) and chat quite often. We just talked about this truck the other day. It is on the backburner for a bit but he will get back on it soon. He is super busy doing life things.......

Rolleiflex, Chucky and guthriesmith like this.
  18. YJ4000

YJ4000

Cool. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing more of this truck.