Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Floor Pans - How bad is this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by IRMB, Sep 23, 2013.

1. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Made progress today. I'm going to use the peice I cut out of the tranny well as a stencil for the patch.

I'm planning on filling in a couple pin holes that would be under the seat area, and laying the hole uncut floor pan on top. The hardware store recommended a zinc based primer for these areas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240151.727468.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240185.994171.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240204.692233.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240231.076653.jpg

2. That cowl hose setup is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. A lot of cars had that same rot because of moisture build up because of it.

3. F.Y.I. Most auto paint supply houses and most welding supply stores have what's called Weld Through primer made just for what your doing.
    The Wizzard

4. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I called all the local welding stores and no one had it. Is this zinc based stuff no bueno?

5. indyjps

indyjps

Tpcglobal has UPOL and SEM weld thru primer, I've used these 2 and they work, 3M makes one that many people recommend, tcpglobal sells thru amazon and ebay as well. Napa carries a martin senour weld thru primer, again I've never used it but its better than nothing.

6. I have a 59 Galaxie that I have to repair the drivers floor and both rockers on. I also need to replace the floor supports. This is car is not only a project but also a learning experience so I'm right there with you. I think that instead of buying floors, I am going to take a shot a fabricating the floors, etc. I'm not so sure about the floor supports though - are the 57/58 supports the same as the 59's?

Ill be following you as you work on your Ford. Good Luck.

7. rokkett77, that's a good question. I have 57's 58 and 59. What I have learned is everything 59 seems to be just a bit different from the other 2 years. Looking at E.M.S. web sight the floor bracing is listed 57-58 only. Generally speaking if 59 was the same they would list it also. I'd say make a phone call. I'll bet there not the same.
    The Wizzard

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A tip of the hat to you for going after it. You may want to buy the replacement floors and braces. All I can add is this, don't tear it all out at once. Do 1 side at a time, and follow exactly what's been said, brace and fit things before you commit to welding it all up. I've seen repairs so bad there was no hope in ever getting the door to hang right. And speaking of doors, when it's possible keep 1 of them closed for additional support, that is unless you've already pulled them off.

9. HIGHLANDER; In reading your post part of it could be a little miss leading to someone new to this kind of Surgery. You said; Quote "when it's possible keep 1 of them closed for additional support," The Door itself is not suffecient for total support and do correct door opening containment. With as much floor and rocker gone as shown in his photos a minimum X brace and cowell support should be welded in solid. By all means the door should be used on the hinges to check and re check gap and fit throughout the complete repair. I'd remove the striker so the door will just hang in the opening not to latch. Without a brace A to B post it's very easy to pinch the opening while welding in the new parts even with the door latched in place if not braced.
    The Wizzard

10. hellcat666

hellcat666

floors def arnt good, but they can totally be done! this looks like everycar we start out with here in northern NJ! haha, just take your time with it and make sure your welding to stuff that's strong and not rotted as well. not sure if the rockers are gone but keep an eye on your door gaps. may have to jack the car up a certain way to flex the body and get everything realigned. good luck!! you can do it! and once you do you will have 10times the confidence and experience for the next project!

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Absolutely...I taught myself to weld while replacing the floors in my car.
    No better time to learn.

12. jfcdeuce

jfcdeuce

The floors are bad, but its all the braces that got cut out on the previous replacement that are the biggest problem. (I bought the car from IRMB, a few months ago) I've made it through 80% of the prep on the passenger side... And it goes quicker every day.

Sauli likes this.
  13. Sauli

Sauli

Good catch!! By all means, keep us posted on Your progress!!