Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Bantam Build - Bantam Speedster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greg in Jax, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I have had the '38 Bantam roadster that I did a build thread on out on the road for about six months now, and it has turned out to be quick, fun and reliable. Time for another project. I foundthe remnants of a Bantam Speedster, which is what Bantam called their two-door phaeton bodied car, a very rare car. Total production was 323 from August 1938 to early 1940, and there are very few registered with the two Bantam clubs. The speedster that I found consisted of the chassis, rear body and a set of reproduction floor panels. It is very rough, but like I said it is a rare car so it is worth saving. It will be a body and chassis restoration with a correct Bantam engine, but with the ability to remove the Bantam engine and run with something with more oomph. I have another V8-60 available, and also have an Austin-Healey Sprite engine, a 1098 from the mid-'60s that can easily put out 80hp or so. One or the other of those two engines will end up being the daily driving engine, with the Bantam engine in place if I show it somewhere.

This will be a long-term build, as you can see from the photos. I will post to this thread as I make progress. Here you have a copy of a factory publicity photo, so you know what it should look like, a photo of the day that I dragged it home, and a few shots of a mockup using a partial body wood kit to mount the body to the frame and spare Bantam parts that I have on hand. I am going to be getting the floor welded in first, then follow with the metalwork. More photos later. Publicity Photo a.jpg SSPX0124.jpg SSPX0004.jpg DSCF2891.JPG DSCF2889.JPG

Unkl Ian, brad2v, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  2. 55willys

55willys

Cool rare car.

3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Nice, I'll be watching. Should be a fun car.

4. Gonna be unique when you get done.Keep the pics coming.

5. Your last build was fantastic, Greg- looking forward to this one as well!

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very rare car for your project.
    Best of luck with it.

Jimbo

7. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Very cool Greg! I can't wait to see this thing in person!

8. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Most of the floor in, have it up on wheels with the body bolted down to see how warped it is. Turned out to be pretty straight, with good door gaps on both sides and height of the sides over the rear axle center within 1/4" of each other. As soon as the rest of the floor is in, it comes apart and the fun really begins. DSCF2897.jpg

kiwijeff, kidcampbell71 and rg171352 like this.
  9. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I don't remember the last time I saw a steel Bantam with the front sheet metal still attached. Sounds like a great build.

10. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Subscribed! Never see any Bantams around. Since I've always liked it's cousin, the Austins, I'll go for the ride.

11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Sweet! I'm watching

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting. Love the notched doors. Sign me up. Gary

13. V-8 60T

V-8 60T
    from ks

14. V-8 60T

V-8 60T
    from ks

You must be nuts bra. Jeff

15. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

You know it, Jeff! Floor is tacked in, steering box and column installed, body adjusted, it could be running in a couple of weeks if it was supposed to look this rough. Short time out right now, because I picked up another one. Picking it up in Tulsa in a week or so, you ought to come down there. You know what happens when you park two Bantams too closely together...

16. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

OK Speedster 4.jpg OK Speedster 5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    brad2v, rg171352 and kiwijeff like this.
  17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Greg, I really enjoyed your last build! I'm subscribed! Are you still entertaining the idea of a tail dragger build?

18. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Still a maybe. They definitely have the right lines for it. The rough one in this thread will certainly be something different, just don't yet know what. The more complete one will be a restoration, they are just too rare to cut up when they are in any kind of condition. Thanks for the comment!

rg171352 likes this.
  19. Weaponsusmc

Weaponsusmc

Looking forward to watching the build. How much work is it to change out the engine? Mine came with a Ford Kent crossflow in it when I received it.

rg171352 likes this.
  20. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I saw the photos of your car on the ABC Facebook page. Very nice. Engine replacement is easily done, and that would let you put your firewall back to stock so that you have more room. Send me a PM and I can line you up with a firewall. Engines a little harder to find but they are available. Glad to help you with your car if I can.

rg171352 likes this.
  21. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Greg, pretty soon you're going to be known as the Bantam Whisperer. Love your projects. Wonder if my old '38 Delivery will ever surface again.

Lee

rg171352 likes this.
  22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Love the odd rods and kustoms. Subscribed!

23. V-8 60T

V-8 60T
    from ks

They try to make one finished ride?......... Jeff

24. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

It has been more than 1 1/2 years since I have posted on this thread, but work has actually been progressing. The super-rough project that headed the post has become more and more complete, so that all of the parts bolted together equal a complete car. It is parked waiting on the second car in the thread, the car from Tulsa. It is getting close to having the metal work complete, a stock Bantam drive train has been rebuilt and is waiting for the body to be finished, and I have tracked down all of the impossible-to-find parts. 1098 Sprite engine is mounted in another Bantam so that I know how to do it without cutting the firewall, making the idea of a daily driving drive train and a stock drive train possible. All of that adds up to forward movement. I will pull together photos that show all of the assorted progress. Here are a few to catch up those who were interested in this. They show the progress on the metal work and the reproduced and fitted rear body wood.

Attached Files:

25. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

More. This is not very organized, but I wanted to get myself back to posting progress. The last few will be "before" shots so that you have something to compare the progress to. I will come back and do a better job of before and after so that you can see the picture. A metal wizard friend of mine is doing the serious metal work. I am doing the mechanical work and will do the final assembly and interior.

Attached Files:

jerseyboy and brad2v like this.
  26. Beautiful wood and metal work.

27. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Thanks for your time and interest. Will be back to being organized soon!

Attached Files:

brad2v likes this.
  28. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

You do great work Greg.

Lee

29. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Greg, nice to see an update! Looking good! Have you ever thought of putting an A or B Ford four banger in one of those Bantams? Also the front three quarter shot reminds me of the first jeep.

30. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Keep it up! Love the updates.