Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Disk Brake Conversion Kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64impala, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 64impala

64impala

I'm interested in converting my drum brakes to disk (front-end) and would
    like options on disk brake kits.

I located this company (CPP) Classic Performance Products, they appear to have very good customer service.

Below is a link to their website and the kit I'm interested in, the car is a driver, no high performance involved.

Are there any technical upgrades or other things that I should be aware of? Has anyone used this kit on a 64 Impala?

Make: Chevrolet
    Year: 1964
    Model: Impala
    Engine: 327
    Tran: 350 Auto

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/5864CBKD.htm

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Check with ECI I have used there stuff works good

3. gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Also Stainless Steel Brakes is a good source. SSB
    I have used their kits and they are great!!

5. Many of the dropped spindles have the disc brake brackets on them, so a good opportunity to do a slight lowering at the same time you convert to disc. Since the drop spindles are set up for the disc, you save some money by not buying the additional brackets.

I did this on my 59 El Camino (same suspension as your 64 impala), along with shorter springs and it had great stance. The disc brakes was a nice upgrade.

6. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

I just took a cpp kit off of the 64 impala we are doing for a guy and replaced it with brackets from scarebird.com Scarebird is the only company that doesn't widen the front stance 7/8" on each side... Not only I think it's aesthetically displeasing but the unless u get just the right offset the tires will rub the fenders.... Now if your not worried about fender clearance I'll make u a deal on rotor calipers and brackets.....

59IMPALER likes this.
  7. I read this as well. 7/8" is quite a bit for the wheels to be that much closer to the fenders.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

CPP's stuff is China crap and their customer service sucks

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I bought a kit from SSB for a different car than OP's. I ran into a problem with clearance for the master cylinder. Their answering e-mails or returning phone calls was hit and miss. I told them that there is a problem and they did not have a solution nor really lost any sleep over it. I found a master cylinder that I am adapting to work with no assistance from them. Their product seemed fine but don't expect much for service.

Neal

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

11. 64impala

64impala

Thanks for all the replies and additional information, it's appreciated.

12. 64impala

64impala

13. I like that kit too. Looks like a lot of stuff for $230 and his feedback is good.

14. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Doesn't say whether his kit widens the track width though. Just that it doesn't change geometry.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Scarbird has it, I use it. I trust Scarebird on my daily driver.

bobss396 likes this.
  16. Yeah, he's done his homework on his kits.

17. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

try right stuff detailing I have installed these kits and they fit great and customer service is great

18. The disc brake conversions for the 55-64 Chevys have always pissed me off. When the front tires get pushed to the outside lip of the fenders, it just looks cobbled. Like when everyone was putting Camaro sub frames on everything. On the skinnier cars like a '40 ford, you almost needed a front wheel drive rim to keep the tires in the fenders.

19. 64impala

64impala

What about the master cylinder setup?
    I've read several pro/con articles on using a dual cylinder versus a single and the safety factor,
    what are your thoughts?

I plan to use disks in the front and drums in the back (for now)....

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dual, always.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If you are going with disks on front, you don't have a choice. Someone will say that it can be done but why?

22. my 60 Biscayne Sedan Delivery had already been converted to disc brake after a front Camaro front clip swap... After buying never really like the way it stopped.. I contacted CPP about adding power brakes to my car. Explained to the rep what already had been to the car... and they sent me a the power booster & master cylinder. It also came with the proportioning valve... The install required some new brake lines up front... but was worth it...

24. 64impala

64impala

Just so I understand you correctly, I can installing a "CPP" disk brake kit (which includes their brackets),
    and simply replace them using the "Scarebird" brackets?

25. 64impala

64impala

I was just informed that the disk brake brackets do NOT have anything to do with the offset of the
    wheels!
    And that it's the rotor design that pushes the wheels outboard.....

Can someone confirm this?

26. 64impala

64impala

I contacted CPP "Classic Performance Products" and they said the wheel offset has to do with "the anchor bolt and how everything comes out past the stock wheel cylinder position".

Any comments?

27. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Thats true but withe the cpp either/or the wheel goes out. On my 59 I used cpp spindals & wilwood brakes baer pushes wheels out further I preferred the baer but went with wilwood. If you go with scarebird make sure he knows you are useing a cpp spindal. Most of his kits are for stock (I THINK). I've never used scarebird but have ony heard good things.

28. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I have used CPP parts on several cars with unsatisfactory results. Poor quality and lousy customer service. Better sources are POL in Ontario CA or ABS in Orange CA. ABS is very good to work with, high quality parts and very good customer service..

29. 64impala

64impala

30. 64impala

64impala

FYI:
    CPP now sells a kit that has reduced the wheel offset from 7/8" yo 5/8", just saying!
    "ABS" makes a kit with a "Zero" wheel offset!