Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Dropped Axles and Aesthetics...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NealinCA, Sep 30, 2007.

1. verde742

verde742

when ANY weight is put in that frame, where is that spring going go? the hi arc,
    the likes I never seen..

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How about a pic or two of a welded on shock stud on the axle? Like the ones G White posted a pic of?

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Why? I'm looking at the pic, and at pics of a welded on threaded tube, and I don't see why a welded stud or bung looks any better. Please explain, show some comparisons.

4. Here are a couple examples from @woodiemike's "Lakes Pictures P.R.C." thread;

First up is the McNatt/Welsh 25 T...here the shock stud is welded to the perch boss;
    McNatt Welsh 25 front detail.jpg

And the McNatt phaeton with Dago'ed 33-6 axle and shock mounts attached just outboard of the perch boss;
    shock mounts.jpg

town sedan likes this.
  5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

And it bears mentioning, vis a vis the McNatt/Welsh T: Mechanical Brakes!

gwhite likes this.
  6. I have to say I'm another person who doesn't like the '32 Heavy axle, to me it looks too close to an aftermarket axle. I like the standard '33-'36 axles......BTW the bolt on lower shock mounts aren't lazy if your using stock and forged parts.

steering-5.jpg

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. What stock part are you using for the lower mount on the tube shock?

8. This is not a very good pic and I am running this *NOS 'Tube axle under my A bone and not a beam but these are 2" dropped round backs. I don't know who makes them, as I recall I traded Muttley some stock spindles for them. The only way that you can tell that they are dropped is to lay them next to a stock spindle.

@verde742 check your PMs

front axle tube.jpg

*There was a guy that made a few of these axles in Nor Cal in the early '60s they are made to '37 Ford dimensions if that makes any difference to anyone.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I spotted a Model A frame in a yard 3 years ago. Stopped and looked...'34 Mor Drop front axle, '32 spring, split '34 wishbone. Frame was 2X4 rectang tube, tapered front & rear, Model A pattern. Guy said $200, "cuz it's got a '32 front axle"... I said "O.K."
    ('34 Dago was 'close enough'.)

About 'tapered front springs': Old Hot Rod Magazine ads for a few years advertised "Hollywood front springs". The southern Calif. company ground the leaves to a fine round thin taper, with the ends finished to prevent 'scraping' the lower leaves.
    A few feature cars in HRM had these (fronts) I did my '34 front at school, went through 2 eight foot sanding belts and 2 weeks of slow, careful grinding. (and that was a 7 leaf spring!)
    ...And only some of the older guys noticed! But that roadster rode smooooth....

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

[QUOTE="porknbeaner, post: 11413030, member: 1613

View attachment 3150929

*There was a guy that made a few of these axles in Nor Cal in the early '60s they are made to '37 Ford dimensions if that makes any difference to anyone.[/QUOTE]

I recall these axles, Benno. Unusual with the bosses for the perches welded in...
    'Course, a 'smile' across the length would have made me 'happy'...

11. I recall these axles, Benno. Unusual with the bosses for the perches welded in...
    'Course, a 'smile' across the length would have made me 'happy'...[/QUOTE]
    Well I'll chuck it up in the press and bend it if you like. :p :D

I wish that I could borrow a v8 60 axle from someone long enough to make fixtures I would like to make a run of them for my friends.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Anyone know the answer to Blown35's question (below)? I ask because the 1940 Ford Magnum (cast) 4 in dropped axle is 3/4 in. narrow than the stock. Can a stock 40 Ford axle be dropped the same way?

13. They narrow the axle to allow for brakes and such, Most disc brake kits set the wheels out a bit more then stock drum brakes.

If you stretch drop an axle you can keep the bungs right where they were. It is a matter of deciding where you want your wheels to set. When you create your fixture you set the king pin bung location. if you bend the axle instead of stretch it then your bung location is going to change. I don't know if there is a formula for that.

We are going to drop or have dropped a model A axle for a future project. We have spent the last two weeks measuring and deciding what we need the finished width to be for a fender car with the wheels and brakes. When all is said and done we are shooting for an A axle that is one inch narrower then the original. So instead of being stretched this one will need to be bent a little. Fortunately we know an axle guy that can make it exactly the way that we want it. It becomes a bigger pain when you build a fender car.

The old timers were not so technical, they dropped em and let things land where it landed, most of the time they were not building fender cars they were stripping them down to the max to loose weight. in that case an inch or two was not an issue.

14. I've seen some pretty crude dropped axles that were all over the place in terms of straightness and camber...I sent my Dago to Okie Joe for kingpin resizing and a good once-over. He was pretty surprised to find that it was dead-nuts straight and the camber was right on. As ugly as they are, Ed Stewart did 'em right.

RICH B, 32 Barn Car and 3wLarry like this.
  15. Yea he had his shit about him. ;)

I think that sometimes we try to get way too technical with our cars, they were seldom built that way. One thing that we forget is that they really are just nuts and bolts.

gwhite and 32 Barn Car like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well I'll chuck it up in the press and bend it if you like. :p :D

I wish that I could borrow a v8 60 axle from someone long enough to make fixtures I would like to make a run of them for my friends.[/QUOTE]

Man...That would be great.
    The 'oval' tube Henry used, then roll-curved it (looks to have been done that way...don't think it was round tube power-hammered into the compound shape)
    but the ends are the mystery.
    (Wasn't there someone a few years back that advertised some repop V8 60 tube axles???)
    If you ever do it, I hope we're still friends! (given enough time I could probably piss you off...:D)

gwhite likes this.
  17. Near as I could tell from looking at them they were oval tubing to start with. The smile is easy, just a press with a couple of V blocks will make it work, the ends I think were forged but could be reproduced with a chunk of pig and an end mill easy enough.

I really need a few days to study one. yes it seems to me that someone is reproducing them or was. I think that when you sell mass product to the public you run onto the whole DOT thing but if you just made a few for friends you would be cool.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

19. alchemy

alchemy

And we all know nowadays to not take the captions as shown in Blues4U's pics to heart. The top pic doesn't show a "32 commercial" axle, it's just a regular old 32 axle. And the "32-36 normal" is actually later 33 -36. There is a rare early 33 not shown.

town sedan, Ryan and Blues4U like this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thank you for clarifying that.

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Is the the early 33 the one that gets wider in the middle but it the same as any 33-34 on the ends? A friend has one.

22. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have an axle that gets deeper in the center of the beam also. it came with my canadian 34. okie joe showed me one at his place, same thing i believe, and he said his was canadian 32

23. I didn't think I needed to clarify that the lower mount is aftermarket. Point being that some options are limited when running fenders, but you can compensate with the use of OTHER cast and stock parts more pleasing to the eye.

24. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpeg You CAN NOT beat a dropped Ford axle in looks or function. One more shock mount idea I've used for 15 or so years, I tig weld a shock stud to the lower end of the 32 split bones. No welding on the axle, no movement of the lower shock mount.

25. alchemy

alchemy

I don't have one and don't have any pictures, but I understand them to have a very similar look to a '32 in the center, with ends that look like the common '33-36.

There are even varieties in the '32 axle. Some have a squared end on the web right next to the kingpins, while others have a rounded end of the web right at the kingpins. I've got no idea when and where each came from, but the rounded end is more scarce.

bct likes this.
  26. Really slick! I dig that idea a lot. Looks very similar to one of the options that was suggested by the December of 48 Building a Hot Rod article that @Ryan posted the other day.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. Internet

Internet

My 33-36 axle I gave another 3" to.

28. Internet

Internet

Oops

Attached Files:

29. 117harv

117harv

30. Internet

Internet

A nasty old axle a friend gave to me as a conversation piece, think it started like as 37-41

Attached Files: