Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Product Review: Rescue Bit (saved my ass)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Feb 27, 2016.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was trying to remove what I thought was a stuck threaded pipe plug in the china rail of my 283 that did not have a key way, long story short, I busted an easy out trying to remove the plug.

I did not even want to think about what a machine shop would charge to put the block in one of those bolt disintegrator machines. So I broke out the drill bits, and after some pointless watching a drill bit go dull, I decided to check out the interwebz to see what others had done in my place.

I came across this outfit's youtube video and watched the tool in action. I was impressed, but still a bit skeptical, particularly after I saw the price of $45. I thought about how much a machinist would charge me and decided I could go without more beer for a while, stupidity is expensive, but I reckon I will amortize the value of the bit after one successful extraction like this one.

You can go direct to the manufacturer, www.rescuebit.com , and have them ship it to you but they wanted $10 to ship it to me. Frugal as I am, I knew I could find a better deal. So I went on to Amazon and found the bit for the same price, and the shipping was five bucks cheaper. It took about three days to reach me.

Read the instructions!

I did and I am glad I did. Do not use any oil, go in dry, and lightly waller out the busted bolt/tap/easy out. Let the tool do the work, or according to the manufacturer, you are screwed and will break this bit too. Patience is required, it will work out just fine if you mind your work and let the tool do its thing in its time.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Finn Jensen, wraymen and slack like this.
  2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That plug was like a dowel that was hammered into place, no threads, went deep too. When I ground almost through the one side, I hit it with a cold chisel and it moved pretty good. Then I just stuck a flat blade screw driver in there and worked it back out of there.

One additional tool I would recommend using with this is a magnet to clear the dust and shavings. I also used a variable speed drill to do the work.

I hope this helps you before you need it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and Andy like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you posted this. This is the kind of thing I usually pass up as "snake-oil" if I come across it. I am particularly interested in it's cutting capabilities. If you're like me (and I know I am), you have tried the kind of cuts they show many times with ordinary drill bits with little success.

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too, but I was kind of desperate, plus I hate having someone correct my mistakes, if that makes sense to anyone, just how I feel about it.

BTW, that little piece of metal is what was left of the easy out.

5. big creep

big creep

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for the video Omar, pretty fucking cool tool!

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm surprised that the bit can get "blue hot" and still cut.

8. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

That's freakin awesome!!!