Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Drive-In Restaurants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, Apr 5, 2011.

1. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

The old "DQ" in Westport, CT. Later became the Crest Drive-in, where I spent a lot of time hanging out while in HS in the late 1960s.
    [​IMG]
    This picture was taken in 1956.

Also: Carroll's Hamburgers in Norwalk, CT. We hung out there some, too.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and 1blown57 like this.
  2. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

yes. yes it does.[​IMG]

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Used to go there when I lived in Tampa. Nice place but the big problem with it is a group called the downshifters of Brooklyn, They think they own the place.

5. Ft. Worth, TX Does any one have photo's of the Lone Star drive-in's,
    Clover drive-in's and Carlsons drive-in.
    Thanks

6. elba

elba

In the 60's Kent, Ohio had one called the " SHORT STOP" which was across the street form the Chevy dealership. Lots of muscle cars and good burgers.

7. Slopok

Slopok

Skips' on the north side of Chicago, Busses' in Oak Lawn and Frosted Mug in Alsip. Frosted Mug reopened as Demon Dogs and I heard the Blue Top is open again.

8. Anyone got pics or locations of drive-ins in Omaha and Lincoln? I'm too young to remember any on Dodge Street in Omaha other than the McDonald's on 82nd, though I hear about Todd's on 78th-Dodge (all I can remember is the New Tower Inn and the 76th & West Dodge Drive-In theater) and know there were others, or on O Street in Lincoln other than King's Food Hosts (where you went inside and ordered over the phone)

chryslerfan55 and 59IMPALER like this.
  9. One More Time Ft. Worth, TX Need Photo's Lone Star,
    Clover, Carlson's, Pig-Stand And Red Canary Drive-In Restaurant's
    Dallas, TX Sivils Drive-Inn Restaurant.

10. [/QUOTE]

I remember stopping at a Biff Burger in Ashville NC maybe? Anyway I was in the Boy Scouts then and about 20 of us were headed for the Smokies for a week long summer camp. We stopped for lunch, I remember the sign out front said: 7 days without a Biff- Burger makes one weak

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. metalfabpat

metalfabpat
    from turlock ca

Scenic drive in is still open in modesto ca
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Along with A&W...
    image.jpg image.jpg
    If anyone has some old pictures of these places that would be cool to see. Hopefully they stay open for more generations to enjoy.

bchctybob, chryslerfan55 and 1blown57 like this.
  12. pontiac

pontiac

If you're ever in Southern, West Virginia, there's King Tut's drive in in Beckley, WV. They've been there for around 70 years, in the same location and still hanging trays from your window.

066bccf0.jpg

2519719669_658b374828_z.jpg

13. Back To The Top

14. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Don't know how I missed this thread before now. We had a little going away HAMB lunch for Angelo's Drive In in Fresno awhile back. The building was razed supposedly for the right-of-way for California's High Speed Rail to nowhere. Interestingly, directly across the street to the left is a brand new, state of the art DMV. Hmm...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456561373.304503.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456561408.689081.jpg

Damn I miss their French fries!

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

What a great thread. Sure does bring back old memories. Wish these places still existed. Cruising, street racing and drive ins were truly the hey day of hot rodding. Too bad those days are gone forever. I feel sorry for those who never got to experience what we had growing up.

Gary

16. I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe Porky's in Des Moines was already mentioned. Saturday and Wednesday were Cruise Nights. It was indescribably cool. Built as a "Steak 'n' Shake in '59, it was torn down in 2010(?) to make way for a HyVee grocery store that will never be built. This photo was taken shortly after I finished my chop (and before it got lowered). Porky's had been closed for a few months by then, but the tables inside still had ketchup and mustard bottles on the tables for food that would never be served. 242.JPG

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  17. 035.jpg 034.jpg This is what's left, of the old Valley Dinner. My parents took me there a lot as a kid. 032.jpg

18. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

Buddy took this when found out was going to be torn down. after same family running it 60 years bla bla .. build condos :( Brians Cd 041 (Medium).jpg

19. JR_31Coupe

JR_31Coupe

There aren't any old fashioned places around here in northern MS. Sadly.. But we have a roundabout here in Calhoun City! All the kids bring they're lifted trucks and cruise. Very rarely do I ever see anything old school cruising but when I do i always talk to them. Me being 17 years old I especially like to meet other people my age interested in rods and kustoms. Maybe when my "A" is assembled I can expand the hobby to my fellow teens.

Randy Routt likes this.
  20. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

Rocky Point was RHODE ISLAND LAST AMUSEMENT PARK one of oldest in USA torn down ... Even Took Sign after Buddy took this photo... O Joke was Condo Builders ... Unbuilded Land .....This 100 years of history... gone forever ...shame on R.I. Brians Cd 199.jpg

21. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

This one Still Standing ! I think ?May be its a condo?:) Brians Cd 028 (Medium).jpg

22. Actually, we are pretty lucky on the west side of Detroit.
    I grew up in Canton, and we had the Daly's on Main and Ann Arbor Road in Plymouth (gone now, but the one on Plymouth and Merriman in Livonia is still open), the A&W in Belleville (still open) and the Chick Inn in Ypsi (still open). In fact, the wife and our youngest just went to the Chick Inn last weekend- it's one of the few places around that still 'hand patty' burgers! ;) And, if you want a really nice fall drive, run out North Territorial to Mast and head to Dexter, as their drive in A&W is also still open.

I think Brown's in South Lyon closed last year, so it's a 'lost' one. Kluck's on Michigan and Prospect in Ypsi is reopened now I think. Roy's Squeeze Inn in Ypsi is not a 'traditional' drive in, but it's a 50's style joint that will do curb service. And it's across the street from Bill's Hot Dog Stand, with homemade root beer and chili, which also is not a 'traditional' drive in, but you can sit in your car in the parking lot and chow down. And, though it doesn't fit at all as a 'drive in', the original Gabriel's Cheese Steak Hoagies opened in 1959 on Michigan, and they really do have one of the best sandwiches on the west side.

I know I'm forgetting some, but if I remember I will add them in later.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Lets KEEP This At The TOP ????

24. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

25. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

Hung around at the Crest my self ! Do we know each other ? My name is Bill Masiello

26. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

Bill, don't think so, I worked at Savarese Sunoco (Post Road and Riverside) and Steele's Texaco in 1969-1970, graduated from Staples, left Westport to move to Georgia when I was 17 in 1970. My buddy Doug Clark thinks he might have bought a motorbike from you in 1967, could be? What I remember most about the Crest was a pretty dark haired girl who worked there, maybe daughter of the owner. Damn, a long time ago.

27. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

We have a New A and W /Long John Silvers that built on the site of the RedHot Truck Stop, a early 50s eat in restaurant that smelled like diesel. The A and W tries to have cruise ins and is a local owned franchise with good folks. I hope it eventually takes off as there is no where to cruise in Meridian anymore. If you are going on i20 through meridian ms. it's easy on and off to get to it.

28. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Back in the 60s we used to cruise Mars Drive in in Fresno, Ca. I was at Electric Motor Shop a while back and they had the old neon Mars sign in the motor shop all lit up....way cool

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This was our car hop place in the 50s n 60s ,Paly's Big Wheel,gone now,Miami High School main hangout,turn into a KFC an then a small open mall{now] 83687388.Svw1D6VA.1955_PaleysBigWheel_BenWallace_425Htext.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    chryslerfan55 and 48 Ragtop like this.