Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Build your own muffler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rui, Dec 21, 2015.

1. I spent under 10€ on this and I like building stuff.

lewk likes this.
  2. When I built my lakes headers I also built my mufflers. Kinda tuff to buy mufflers to fit.
    I used a thread from here on the HAMB for a how too.

Rui likes this.
  3. morac41

morac41

Maybe Rui dosen't have a muffler shop just around the corner like a lot of us... he lives in the north of Portugal...he has to make stuff........like real hot rodders do.......

270dodge, Jet96, falcongeorge and 2 others like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I bought a set of Porters for my Y block Rams horn exhaust and looking at them, realized I don't know much about mufflers. They have a heavy spring that goes all the way through a straight tube, and I guess the packing material is stuffed around the other side and fills the rest. But there's no resistance to the exhaust that I can see. Anyway they sound fine.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Can you share any pics of this? Would love to see them if possible. Thanks!

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I made a pair of mufflers for my 59 Ford Wagon, blatantly copying this design here:

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/superior-design/info_5.html

Made them low profile, ( 2 1/2 inches thick), and made them "quite voluminous" for the existing space under floor.
    Made them from stainless, and used "V-band" flanges on inlet and outlets.
    They worked well, and sounded great, and became un-noticeable on the highway @ the 60-80 mph. range!

7. JimSwann

JimSwann

I made a set but they sounded no better than the smith (smitty) steel packed mufflers. I was fun building them.

8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I don't see why guy are being hard on the guy. He built something cool for cheap, and he wants to share. I can get behind that. It would be pretty fun to mess around and figure out what changes the sound, etc.

Frankie47, 5window and Jet96 like this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made the ones on my New Yorker a few years ago. Four inch diameter, three feet long.

Rui and henryj1951 like this.
  10. I can't find the thread it was before this new format.
    Basically I had cone shaped lakes headers (I built) measure the id of the cone at the small end then measure the large end. I made two washers with an id of 1.5" the other od was the cone big and little ends. I then used some 1.5 exhaust tubing and welded the washers too it. I then used an air chisel with a punch type tool to poke holes in the 1.5" tubing . Your punching will leave a ragged holes which will disrupt the exhaust gasses .

Rui likes this.
  11. Thanks
    Meening that the exhaust gases dont flow as they should?

12. there flow is disrupted and you can add steel wool around the 1 1/2" tubing if you want too quite it a little.

13. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

It is possible that I'm thinking too much here but sound does not like to change directions. Send it south then north and then south and it will be greatly reduced.

14. oj

oj

Did the 'punches' face into the exhaust or point away?
    If you had to make a new set, what would you do different?

15. We used to make them for the stock cars. 2 #10 drink cans brazed in line with a piece of straight pipe through it. Paint it flat black and the tech inspectors never gave it another look.