Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fender less cars in British Columbia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hb32, May 15, 2013.

1. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Where do you get this information?

RetroSteel likes this.
  2. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

my self as well iv had trouble with things like this in the past with cvs and police id rather not again lol

3. trollst

trollst

SVA quarterly report October 2015.......

4. trollst

trollst

And by the way....Rodomotive we do NOT have a fender law in b.c., the act clearly states "mudguards", no mention of fenders, regulation pertaining to fenders or sizes, mudguards are legal, watch all the semi's bobtailing down the road. Problem is....weigh scale operators and cops in general tend to make their own rules pertaining to this, look up the motor vehicle act, not hard to read, it's there plain as day.
    Still, it will be a hell of a lot better once the law is changed.

RetroSteel likes this.
  5. Internet

Internet

I live in Victoria and drive a fenderless "A" sedan around. I had fenders on for inspection and removed them promptly after. I am also a BC vehicle Inspector (commercial), I myself would NOT pass an Early car without fenders if I was doing the Inspection.

Saying that, I have never had a problem in 2.5 years of driving my car around, CVSE audits our facility once a year and I brought this topic up the last two times. Both times were "fair weather rule coming soon"

The inspection manual reads as follows;

page 124- Section 8- Body
    2. Body
    c) fenders, quarter panels and mudflaps
    NOTE: All vehicles including modified collectors, Vintage, Ubilt, replicar, replikit and specialty vehicles require fenders/quarter panels.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Internet

Internet

Cars are in a different Section of the MTI Inspection Manual than commercial vehicles, the inspection guidelines are very different.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O You drive (supposedly) a fenderless car, yet you would not have the balls to pass a car without them.

I pray to God that this fair weather law will be on the books soon, so that we can shut up pompous rule spouting people like you.

Having them (you) put in your place would be awesome.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  8. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I'm confused. You're an inspector who wouldn't pass a fenderless car, yet you drive one yourself? That's rather hypocritical. I could understand if you said "I CAN'T pass the car, but I WOULD if I could" Or if you just said nothing at all. Or if you somehow justified your articulation. But the optics of your hypocrisy is awful and really does yourself and any other law enforcement agency a disservice.

9. desotot

desotot

Guys,, calm down, we will all be on the same page soon. I've had several customers with fenderless cars who had no issues, and one who got caught doing donuts in the middle of an intersection and he had to go for reinspection a few times, but he could saved himself a lot of trouble by behaving. I had to get my T reinspected because I didn't have a front plate, rear license plate light or mufflers and I lived to smile about it.

10. Internet

Internet

I won't pass a car without fenders because I am legally obligated to follow the inspection manual to a tee. I can't believe the two responses from members here.

My standing on the fender rule should be fairly clear to the two arrogant members here based simply on my own preference. My hobbies can't and won't jeopardize my career.

About the "rule spouting", I was just trying to clarify the misinformation quoted in this thread for an honest legal answer.

If you don't want to hear the answer to the question asked here, why even open the thread?

falcongeorge, Stogy, H380 and 2 others like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I thought that was the intention of your statement, enforcing the rules by which you make your living. Others thought it was a personal opposition which would have not arisen if you had mentioned it would jeopardize your employment.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

From what I hear, the ICBC computer upgrade will be done in July, and will also now allow modified collector status for cars up to '73. Which means I can put collector plates on almost the whole fleet!:)

RetroSteel likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ever noticed how most of the local RCMP officers drive???:eek::p

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And I thought they were still mounted.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm not even going near that...:rolleyes:

16. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I agree. As far as I see, if a "hot rod" is being driven around here in a normal manner, obeying all traffic laws on a sunny day without fenders the police don't care. And it sounds like soon they will be able to do it "legally"

Stogy and RetroSteel like this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Internet didnt write the stupid, asinine rules he has to enforce, its his job. I used to get this same type of shit on a regular basis in my job.
    Yea, so he should say "screw da man" and quit and get a different job, so he can be one of the cool guys and not piss you guys off with stupid rules, right? And then he wouldnt have to be a hypocrite, right?? Right???

So that way, there will be one less hot rod friendy inspector in BC (there are VERY F*CKING FEW as it is, this I know) and he will be replaced by some guy whos a REAL GENUINE pain in the ass, and really doesnt think your hot rod should even BE on the road. Because there are plenty of those out there already, and we definitely need more...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Stogy and Hitchhiker like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I many times on here (the HAMB) have commented and missed or misinterpreted a detail only to be corrected generally in a pleasant way and sometimes not. I many times re-edit my statement in apology if required and acknowledge with thanks. I think in hindsight Internets post was misunderstood. I understand and he owes no apology. He actually helped a lot of the members through inspection no doubt and its more than fenders. He probably even give a heads up after business was served. As for the inspectors that enforce modern conveniences on cars that were not an option or standard feature don't understand and yes they are no doubt in the mix and may just be unethically pushing buttons cause they can...they're everywhere in the world of business. Ignorance can also stem from the customer too...Negativity breeds Negativity. I am sure that given a different location i.e. discussion over a coffee things would have been clearer. BCers and Aussies and a few other places have issues that way for sure.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just wish he was here on the mainland instead of the Island.
    I understand the frustration of the guys that are ranting, we really have some IDIOTIC rules here. But making personal attacks on one of a handful of hot rod friendly inspectors is just plain stupid. Some of you might end up needing a hot rod friendly inspector on Vancouver Island some day...hint, hint, hint...

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No it seems as if he feels the law is asinine and has to do the same as the other guys n gals... and take them off after.

Hitchhiker and falcongeorge like this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have had local cops follow me for blocks and/or pull me over in my O/T daily driver pu for no good reason whatsoever, other than the fact that it has roll bar supports through the back window and 3" Magnaflows. I'm never really happy to see them, I just try to be cool but polite, and get rid of them as fast as possible...
    At least now that I am in my fifties and have a bit of grey hair, they don't write up nuisance tickets anymore.

22. Good to hear that the fenderless fairweather law is going to be in effect this summer in B.C.! The timing is perfect with Deuce Days 2016 this July in Victoria, B.C. In the past this show has actually got an exception from the B.C. government for fenderless cars to make sure they were not hassled as many of these fenderless cars came from all over North America to participate. Great for the hobby & B.C. tourism!
    Also good to see the Modified Collector Plate cut off year has been moved from 1958 & earlier to 1974 & earlier! Good work by all those involved to get these issues before the government & passed!
    1 1/2 years ago me and my wife Joan drove coast to coast across Canada in a '28 roadster. While it did have 18" rear bobber fenders I never got around to building the front fenders, We never were pulled over but were given hi fives by other motorists and police.

So lets move on and get on with building and driving real hot rods!

Picture below was taken at Boston Pizza in Charlottetown, PEI.

RCMP.jpg

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree retro. I'm actually looking forward to my future relocation out to the island and I'm hoping that having a finished Alberta licenced car, that I'll be able to switch over to BC plates as painlessly as possible.
    I'll be looking to you for some guidance ;) :)

RetroSteel likes this.
  24. trollst

trollst

Chuckle.......this has been kinda fun, hasn't it? Hope nobody is too offended, a heated discussion is always fun when it's done.
    On a better note....finished all the last minute stuff this morning, I'm ready for inspection, then off to the weigh scale, then over to ICBC ( Insurance corporation of British Columbia) for the plates.
    Have a great day all, enjoy life, it's good......

25. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes youngrodder1929
    I too would prefer NOT to go through THAT again ...ruled off the road and a drop-deck ride home! My reinspect wasn't fenders, but TOO LOW ...like I was gonna hurt the ground or something.

Good, glad... actually really glad, to hear that THIS fair weather rule shall come into effect soon. Perhaps the announcement will be at Deuce Days '16. A perfect place to see plenty o' no fenders:)

For myself and my roadster build, up in the South Okanagan Valley we have very little rain but a whole lotta sand in the eyes. I am planning fenders. And I DO NEED to pass mechanical legally ...as to how high in the sky early '30 fronts can ride, I guess we'll just see. Headlight and bumper height, ya I get that;)

And really fellas ...let's not pick on one another, Inspector or otherwise. Grab your pitch forks and torches(well ...pencils and petitions), and together we will go at the real monster here... ICBC

S2

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gotta love an optimist...:D

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I can relate....:D

Blue One and RetroSteel like this.
  28. That's not hypocritical at all. Failure to perform that CVI correctly will land the inspector in court facing a fine and possible suspension of the inspection licence. Hard to keep your job as a Commercial inspector with that hanging over your head! Taking the risk on his own car is different than risking one's livelihood. Ironically, the fairweather law was setback a few years ago, when a hi-boy roadster was involved in an accident during a heavy rain storm in the Kamloops area.

Stogy and falcongeorge like this.
  29. Internet

Internet

not sure why I'm still in this thread, but maybe this link may give you some usable info.

http://www.cvse.ca/vehicle_inspections/PDF/150309_comp_cc_01-15_Exemption.pdf

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for your candidness on the matter at hand. Your doing your job and the fence has two sides. It's tough doing your best sometimes.
    If you did not chime in much of this would be hearsay.
    I have a car with no front fenders and I am already on a fair weather driving program without the law. Its fine with me.
    The old cars we drive are so unsafe even if they are in top condition. That is an inherent risk I choose to take including no seatbelts. The system must make change and understand older auto shortcomings and be fair to all.

Half Fendered in Ontariario
    sport_coupe18.JPG

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    RetroSteel likes this.