Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '56 "HELLCAMINO" -WORTH THE EFFORT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Feb 23, 2016.

1. I thinking the same thing. If you only made a cool old shop truck out of it. My friends are always saying that I will save anything. A little imagination and this could be a fun build. The key is don't put a lot of money in it. And it would be the best before and after post.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    kiwijeff likes this.
  2. BJR

BJR

5 gallons of Duraglass and a trowel could make that look great!....... For a while.

3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

A true car guy can see the potential in any project! I actually like the rear window and the way it flips up. Get over the fact that it is a mid 80's build and that back in 1986 when it was fresh everyone would have said COOL!! Even in todays market a run of the mill 20 footer tri five will bring $15,000.00 easy. I have been building cars for over 40 years and professionally for 30. I have had customers who paid a lot of money for a car only to have it start bubbling up a year later. They would bring it to me believing that it only needed touching up only to find out they bought a bondoed up pile with shiney paint! At least you know what your starting with!! Suede paint has been done to death. Repair the body as needed , nice classic color driver paint, strip and shine the wheels , sell the 440 to a mopar guy,{ I hear they like them!} put a {yawn} small block in it, trim it out in a 60,s vibe and enjoy. And then fight off all the offers to buy it because its different! Experience spoken here! Larry

4. That vertical strip of chrome just aft of the doors on the gray one posted above looks like it has a Cameo bed on it. Different tail lights, bumper, yada, yada, but the chrome strip and the shape of the side panels look the part.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OK , I would give it a home if the price is reasonable! I think it has potential. Gary

6. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

That car's got tons of potential!
    Someone mentioned Two Lane Blacktop, and that's along the lines of how I'd build it........but with shiny paint and a little chrome to break up the sides ;)
    hell camino.jpg

kyhotrod, 59IMPALER, dudley32 and 5 others like this.
  7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Ruben, that looks really good. How about no trim on the 1/4s, and add trim to the front fender and door, like a Belair or Nomad.

8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

paul55's avatar with Rubens paint and roof would be a great combo! Larry

9. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

I dig that look as well, Paul......
    hell camino 2.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Man, that paint is so terrible. I think you should stabilize it, blow the 400, and go hunt. Can you imagine the shame some guy in a new Camaro would feel losing to that?

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the save it if possible camp, but then I have always liked car to truck conversions. Ruben, you nailed it!

13. Hey Ruben, Can ya do it again without that hood scoop?

14. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

15. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

That's it with out the scoop! YEAH Gary

16. Flip flop

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59IMPALER and pat59 like this.
  17. If any of you guys are serious, email me. When the cars start comin' out this spring, I'll track the guy down and get his info and price. Sure would like to see it saved. -Lon ([email protected])

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

One of my purchases years ago was a 55, 150 Handyman Wagon, that the old man that owned it had converted into a "PU truck". I only bought it for the frame and powertrain, a six with 3 speed overdrive. He'd used some marine plywood to make the bulkhead between the cab and the bed. Used the rear glass in the bulkhead, and everything was silicone sealered into place. It was painted the factory salmon pink and white, and it was the ugliest thing I've ever owned, and I only had it for a few days before the body was cut up and carted off. A friend of mine who deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts took the front sheet metal and doors, and took photos of it before it met it's fate with the O/A torch. It was't that easy to cut up because of all the bondo in it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

what exactly do mean by "see it saved"? is it going to the junkyard?

20. I laugh that this thread keeps going. I thought it would be dead and buried by now.
    Ruben, that digital 'pulation got me going. I like the 1st rendition of the 55 trim on the rear quarter, gives it more balance.
    Good job!

21. Fleetside

Fleetside

At first I thought Hell No! but after seeing Ruben's pic's I gotta admit I'd try it if the price was right. What is the price?

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

This thread really brings out the range of capability of the various people who are in the car hobby.
    For some, this is far beyond their ability and in their mind junk, while for others its just another day at the shop! LoL
    I've always said...you should never judge the potential of a project by basing it solely on your personal limitations.
    There are very few people who can do it all.
    For the person who enjoys stitching old rusty cars back together, that 55/56 is childs play.
    Their biggest concern and cause for sleepless nights might be getting the engine redone or something else that for a different person might be childs play!
    We all have our strengths and weaknesses...and thats why its great to have a bunch of friends all helping each other out. ;)

williebill likes this.
  23. Save it from decomposing anymore. It hasn't seen a garage in 30 years, and there could come a day when the amount of sheet metal that needs replaced would be anybody's deal breaker.

24. Looks good just need a cute girl and motorcycle in the back.

25. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Be ready for some BONDO grinding! Don't forget the dust masks!

26. ...under 6 foot of dirt, in a remote location, with a map similar to the one used on Oak Island, only more devious.

leadfootloon and williebill like this.
  27. That looks really, REALLY good! Killer job on the photo shop, some of the best I've seen.