Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Selecting an english wheel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Feb 26, 2016.

1. This isn't about a brand or model specifically, but rather configuration.

I've been casually researching the subject for a while now and when i'm looking at products, browsing the forums or watching videos, I've noticed a variety of setups.

My question is what factors go into deciding the size of your upper wheel and lower anvil combinations?

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

If you have seen photos of the old European coach building shops and their English wheel assortment you will realize that "one size doesn't fit all"
    I suggest building one and you won't be so hesitant to modify it for a job.
    I used John Glovers plans.
    The deciding factors will ultimately be what work do you want to do with it.

3. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Mitch, have a new bead roller you can borrow it anytime, you will have to walk 2 blocks !!

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As stated one size does not fit all. A cheap HF item will not perform to the same level as a more expensive item. There are a plethora of English wheels out there with costs and quality varying. The quality of the actual steel in the wheel, anvil and bearings. I had a friend fabricate an English wheel with items bought off the interweb. They were cheap and he had to rework them to add decent quality bearing just to start with so they ran true.

5. Thanks guys.
    let me put this another way...

Why would you choose one size wheel and anvil as opposed to another? what can you do with a big wheel that you cant with a small one and vice versa?

one guy uses a 10x3 upper while another guy i saw uses like a 18x4 some of the builder kits are 8" uppers.

thanks scott... i just might take you up on that.

6. 22 track

22 track

7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Your questions are good and illustrate issues with sizing wheels
    The big wheels will in some cases limit access into the panel but may be required to do the job. What to do?
    Having a variety of wheels is good. I would start out with a middle of the road 9" and see how far you get then add other sizes as needed.
    Mine is a 9" There have been times when the saddle that supports the top wheel has prevented reaching fully against a flange. If I were to build a second wheel the upper wheel would run on an axle with the wheel hub flush with the wheel rim and axle end.