Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Unusual Cop Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khead47, Feb 25, 2016.

1. abc123

abc123

Me, too. The 1955 CHP car (loaned to the TV show that put a generic logo on the doors) qualifies as unusual since it was a unique version made only for CHP. It was a Special 2-door sedan body with a Century engine and front fenders -- that body style was not available on production Century cars.

2. I remember going to a little used car lot on Fon-du-lac Ave on Milwaukee's north side ( Les Flaretys ) to look at the retired Wisc. State Patrol cars. They were Dark blue Plymouth Fury's with gray doors, and had either 426 wedge or 440 engines and 4 speed transmissions. They were a couple of years old with high miles and selling for around $ 800.00. Anyone from that area remember those in the mid 60s?? I thought about those cars all through Viet Nam and bought a New 69 Road Runner when I got back. God, I haven't thought about those for many years, thanks to the OP for taking me back.

3. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

2004-mercury-marauder-4-dr-std-sedan-pic-64190.jpeg OT car but back in the day when I was getting speeding tickets for sneezing, FHP used to have a small fleet of unmarked Mercury Marauders, it didn't matter what you were driving in. They we're going to catch you. Bastards, yet those cars are still on my bucket list and every time I see one, instant drool fest...

tom kellam and Hnstray like this.
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion

The Ohio State Troopers ran the same thing, early 70s, 440 Fury's. I was in H/S and working at the local Gulf station. We serviced the cruisers, since the post was less than a quarter mile away. I'd (walk) to pick up the cruisers, bring 'em in for service, then wash 'em & return them. The speedometers were 'certified' to 140, 12ga Winchester in the pocket along the front of the seat. They had a distinct rumble, and you could tell there was a shitload of power under your right foot with the slightest goose of the pedal. As a bonus, I got to know most of the troopers, and a few passes were granted here & there. :rolleyes:

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I bought a new Marauder in 2003 and owned it until about 5 years ago. One of the BEST highway cars I ever drove. Aside from the performance aspect, it LOOKED like a cop car to the casual observer, with the blacked out grille, especially when overtaking a 'left lane camper'. You could see them notice you in their mirror, do a second take and then the right turn signal started flashing and they moved over.

The Marauder, like the Chevy SS, were 'cop cars in a tuxedo'. Same suspension, brakes shocks, antiroll bars, etc, but high line trim. I finally traded mine for a Chrysler 300C, but still have fond memories of the Marauder.

Ray

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

In 1970 I worked at the local Esso dealer, the mechanic had a 65 ford that was a retired police car.
    A buddy of his had tipped him off it was being auctioned off- it had been specially ordered for a
    police captain and it had a 3 speed on the column as he refused to drive an auto. 390 cu inch engine
    and you could put it in second and drive it all day.
    Also had a college professor who had had a Plymouth dealership, he told us about a police bid request
    for cars. The specs were not that specific, one dealer had several station wagons that were not moving
    so he swapped in 440's and gave the low bid. The police loved them once they got used to them.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here in Rocky Hill, CT in the 50's and 60's Ford was the choice...Biggest engines available, I think they were all manual shift....The cops were related from the chief on down and liked their Fords, smashed up a few "testing the brakes":rolleyes:..Resident State [CT was into Fords] trooper next town south had a 64/65 Ford and pretty sure it had 427 badges and a 4spd. He would come to Rocky Hill for gas cause he liked Esso and would clean it out a little leaving the station; sorta like playing out of the sandbox..

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the early 70s the OPP had a bunch of AMC Ambassador sedans with 401 motors.

9. Hombre

Hombre

Do you mean these?

Attached Files:

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Since others have posted OT cars.......I graduated high school in 69 at 17. I worked at a Standard Chevron Dealership all through high school, and for a while after, and I had saved my money. I bought a new 70 340 Dart, and paid cash for it. A couple of months later the Washington State Patrol put up their 1968 Chevrolet Biscayne 4 door sedans, with the 390 HP 427, TH400 transmission, 12 bolt rear end, and the 5.5 X 15 Rally wheels with poverty center caps. All these cars were white with a light blue vinyl interior. Course most of them were bought by drag racers at auction. I always wanted one for some reason, and since I'm not real fond of cops, it does't make sense. Now, I'm building a 68 Biscayne 4 door sedan that's white with a light blue vinyl interior. It's a 250 six, Powerglide, with a 10 bolt, but its getting a 468 BBC, TH400 trans and stall converter, and a 12 bolt with all new parts plus the 4.10 gears. A street sleeper/bracket car. Car was owned by an elderly couple out of Oklahoma, and has the typical parking lot door dins, but the interior is pristine; except for the stain and smell from the front passenger seat. I'm starting to think someone died there. I have a big red bubble gum light for the roof, a siren, spotlight, and the doors will say DRAG PATROL instead of STATE PATROL. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hipster and chevy57dude like this.
  11. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

My father retired Maine state police in 1958. His last patrol car was a 1957 Studebaker 2door, V8, STD with overdrive.

12. My senior year in Santa Paula Ca. The Santa Paula P.D. Purchased two 409 3 speed Bel Airs. The cage separating front seat and back had a round head rest attached with Mooneyes logo on it. They spent most of their time hanging out at the local hot spots doing burn outs for all of us law abiding citizens.

volvobrynk, tom kellam and slack like this.
  13. 327Eric

327Eric

Kind of vague here, but when I got my Studebaker in 1992 my grandfathers eyes sure lit up.Back in the late 50's my grandfather was a California State Park Ranger in Lake County. I don't know specifically what he had, but it was a late 50's Studebaker, and he apparently liked to drive it over 100 mph. He passed shortly thereafter, and there are still mysteries as to what he did during WW 2 and on. Suffice it to say,he was a wild one.

hipster likes this.
  14. southern thunder

southern thunder

Here in Marietta, Ga. they have and have had for years the standard crown vics. But several years ago they had a 93 corvette that they got in a drug bust. Painted it black and white just like the others. Back in the mid 60s, a county up in north Ga. the sheriff dept. had a fleet of 66 and 67 GTOs

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can just imagine the fun that the maintainance guys had when test driving after repairs.

16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

That was my first REAL car! -- 58 Chevy Del Ray black & white [ ex police car ] had a LOT of fun w that car on the streets of Peoria in 1964 ;)

AND -- it was the car I drove into a snowbank, late at night, in a blizzard, on rt 116 where I mighta froze to death if that one fella hadn't come along in time -- beCAME the "highwayman" 2 years later in 1966 here in Cali -- weren't *called* that tho till 30 years later -- 1996 -- when Charles Kuralt did a story on CBS bout my "mission" of helpin others He said "Highwaymen of old were figures to FEAR! but here's a Highwayman to adMIRE!"

My son and I were asittin on the couch when it came on -- my son looked at me and asked - "Dad isn't that a BAD thing?" ;) :)

Charles Kuralt passed away the next year 1997 ON the Forth of July [ "witch" and mine's WEDDING DAY ] so -- in his honor -- I am -- the "San Diego Highwayman"

*this* year is my 50th -- of "Playin on the Freeway"

and it was a black & white 58 Chevy on a cold winter's night that started it all! :confused:

http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonlinediary/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Belly button coupe & roadster

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That's interesting. Here in Washington State, the Troopers badge number is also his cars license plate number; I wonder if 666 is this cops? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. BigChief

BigChief

While we're way the freek off topic, here's a shot of one of my daily drivers....

Attached Files:

Bruce Fischer, Hnstray and Tony like this.
  20. 41 C28

41 C28

Larks were used at one time here in Middletown, Ohio.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I was a teen the local cops had a similar beige '71 with an LS-5 in it.

22. 2083043976_8f6baf9b70_o.jpg unnamed.jpg You guys posting OT stuff will get this thread closed.
    Here's one from da Google machine that was what the OP asked for.
    unnamed.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  23. In '61, the town of Sistersville, WV purchased a new Plymouth Savoy 4-Sedan cop car with a 413 cross ram and a three on the tree.

24. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The story I got when I bought my 48 Plymouth business coupe was that it was an original City of Hinkley IL police car. It had a spotlight and a very large red stop light on the left rear fender.By the time the car had arrived at my house, everything was pretty much gone, except the red stop light & the spotlight.

Back in the early 70s, the owner of the gas station I worked at was friends with a State trooper. He came in regularly for gas and oil changes. He drove a lot of cool cop cars through the years.

In 86 & 87 I worked at a Chrysler dealership in a small rural town. We were always servicing the town squad cars, and we had one State Police Dodge Diplomat that came in from time to time. We were very limited to what we could do with the state car, it was suppose to be one of the famous pursuit cars. One time it came in with the trooper complaining about a brake issue. At over 100 mph, if he hit the brakes, the car made a hard right turn! As a Dealership, we had to verify there was a brake issue and be sure it wasn't something simple to repair. After a brake (and front suspension) inspection, we had to make the test drive, of course, he had to ride along. Its sort of strange driving a police car at 100 mph with the cop sitting side of you. I can tell you 3 things, 1) At 100 mph the car was just cruising! 2) There was definitely a brake issue. 3) For anything other then normal, very basic maintenance, the car had to be returned to the State Police maintenance grounds in Springfield. We were not allowed to even change the spark plugs. The car went to Springfield for the brake issue. They also had to be returned to the state for a "detune" before they could be sold off to the public. I don't know what they did with that small block, but it would run! Gene

25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

002.jpg 001.jpg

Seized from a drug dealer and dolled up for P.R.

Gary

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    kiwijeff and PunkAssGearhead88 like this.
  27. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

My favorite.. The 94-96 9C1 Coprice. Neither of these are stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry ahead of time for getting O/T, here's the second one chasing a modified NSX at over 140 MPH.

These 9C1s are the only cop cars that I've ever heard of that were completely refurbished when most the time departments would just get new cars.

garth slater likes this.
  28. khead47

khead47

C'mon guys, lets get back OT. Thanks.

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  29. I remembered them when I lived in Flordia for 10 years.I have seen them sold up here in East T.N. a few years back.Bruce.

scrap metal 48 likes this.