Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Utah urges EPA to fix Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Feb 24, 2016.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

2. The problem is :

We were for the better part of our history in balance with State versus Federal being complacently equal until moments of strength required us to unite uniformly. Meaning > states minded their own backyards in interests of its citizenry. Now Federal trumps all ... and in so doing .... seems to screw up all issues better served by the state in the state's own interests. We give up too much.

EPA was the agency responsible for the mining spill into the watershed last year from the Gold King Mine ..... amongst many other documented snafus. Let's hope the Salt deserves better.

Racing, American Hot Rods against the world's measure is what we are all about. Ended one great war, to come home and celebrate a better answer. We were the best !!! Hell, even God speeds at Bonneville !!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for link - even with all of the best effort from all partys involved, including Mother Nature, will be a real challenge to have a 2016 racing schedule

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Quick follow up...I live on the Animas river that turned orange in August and the EPA has yet to pay a single claim, including the rafting people who lost wages during the eight days the river was off limits. The comments at the end of the Hemmings story are almost more interesting than the story itself.

5. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

And yet the EPA gets to blunder along, seems most everything that inept agency touches falls apart.
    I'm from the gooberment and I'm here to help,Ba hunbug.

6. Unless you lived near it or really really looked for it, there's little info about the gold king mega blunder

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. You nailed it. Nothing more to say here.

8. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Gee, how nice of the BLM to allow states to BUY back land that the Feds arbitrarily took from them in the first place.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need to just focus on the future to do whatever it takes, no matter how much you do not like it, to get The Big Salt back to where a race season can happen again

10. YOU WANT TO HAVE THE EPA FIX THE SALT AND THEY (EPA) WANT TO PASS A LAW ON MAKING A RACE CAR OUT OF ANY PRODUCTION AUTO........SOUNDS LIKE ASKING THE DEVIL TO HELP US OUT TO ME.

11. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

I think it's the BLM that has control over the salt. (Bureau of Land Management.)

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The BLM controls the salt flats, but the EPA makes the rules about environmental issues like the potash harvesting.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Wasn't there some sort of deal with the BLM, where the Wendover Potash Company was required to pump tons of salt onto the race surface? Yes, if the EPA gets involved, that will be the end of racing as we know it. Remember the EPA basically put american manufacturing out of business! Can any Bonneville racers shed some light on the subject?

14. Arominus

Arominus

I know a lot of guys are all up on the Gold King thing, but as someone who has lived his life in colorado and has studied the old mines...

Gold king wasn't S**t. That basin used to be so dirty nothing could live in the water from the 1880s on up through the 1970's. The gold king run off blew threw the basin in about a week and there was no fish kill. So while it was stupid mistake, its not nearly enough to say the EPA is ineffectual as a regulatory body.

15. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

"and the fox watched the henhouse"

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. So, lets do nothing, is that your solution? I'll guarantee if we can't get the BLM in the mix, that's what is going to happen. Nothing. I don't know why the EPA is in the title of this thread.

Mick

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yeah.That`s like putting Willie Sutton in charge of security for all banking institutions.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Remember when The Feds took Joe Conforte's Mustang Ranch ? They couldn't even run a whorehouse , went bankrupt and sold it back to the gangsters . prospering again .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

The EPA couldn't find their ass with both hands. They make up rules based on zero scientific research. The only worse organization is CARB. I'd know, I've worked with both for last 8 yrs (or at least tried)

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

now back to working on solutions for Bonneville, and not a political thread that gets shut down

Texas Webb, primed34 and lurker mick like this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, if some of the language and opinions used here to describe the EPA, gets to them, I truly doubt they'll do anything, even if they could. Sad, folks have been using and probably abusing the flats for decades and very few gave a damn. Now that it's close to ruin, those same folks are pissed and angry. Really?