Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 3W my way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I've stared at this for 2 days now... and I think it looks great. The body work came out very nicely! I was skeptical of your sail panel, but it looks great! Feel free to add more photos!!!

What are the plans with the SAR body? I mean, you're already gonna have a bad ass 3W...

3blap.

2. Pete

Pete

Dude......Did you feel that?? I just gave you a high 5! Car looks "right", awesome job.

3. Cannot wait to see this car in person! Badass job so far man!!!

4. Xman

Xman

Thanks guys for the kind words. Always gratifying when your peers appreciate your efforts. The doors, deck lid, hood and inner fender panels are now getting final sanding for color. The louvers are a serious pain in the butt. Will post more pic's soon.
    The belt line and sail panels took a lot of work. I used a nail gun and dent puller for days to get it as close as I could. I then turned it over to my friend to finish the hammer and dolly work. He is a wizard.
    I ran the engine today and it sounds healthy as hell. This thing is going to be fun! Would love to make it to TROG in Pismo Beach.
    I'm going to let the SAR body go. I always wanted a full fendered, unchopped 34 3W but I'm happy with the chopped one.

5. Xman

Xman

6. Xman

Xman

7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. brady1929

brady1929

Incredible hot rod

9. Xman

Xman

I pulled the 34 out of the shop so I could run the engine for an hour. I put the clutch in for the first time with the engine running and heard a defining scream. So it looks like I'll be taking a big step back and pull the trans out to get to the T/O bearing. Very Frustrating!!! 100_1082.JPG

10. Retro61

Retro61

Wow! That is Freakin Wicked!! Nice job!!

11. Puttin the HOT back into Hot Rod....lookin awesome man !!

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I had new throw out bearings with a short life. They don't seem to last anymore. Even when they are backed away from TO fingers!

13. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

How do you open the door if your steering is turned left completely ??

Just kidding !!!

It is a fucking cool Hot Rod !!!!!!!!!

I love it !

14. Xman

Xman

Way ahead of you, I made sure that when the left tire just touches the wish bone, the door still clears the pitman arm. Interesting that you caught that though.

15. My God what a profile! That is the most wicked and PERFECT chop ever!

Steve

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

That car blows me away. My favorite '33-'34 ever.

17. WOW!! Perfect lakes styled coupe. Chop reminds me Doug Hartelt '34 coupe but with the windscreen laid back less. Awesome!

18. Xman

Xman

AGO - I think I know the issue with the T/O bearing. I'm using a diaphram pressure plate and flathead T/O bearing. I think I need to replace the pressure plate with a flathead 3 finger type and match it with the throw-out bearing. I'll know better after I get it apart.

19. Great build keep the updates coming

20. Xman

Xman

Jimmy B - can you post a pic of the Hartelt coupe? thanks

21. Xman Pics of Doug Hartelt Coupe.

jpb-1951-el-mirage001.jpg jpb-1951-el-mirage002.jpg jpb-1951-el-mirage003.jpg

kidcampbell71 and j hansen like this.
  22. Excellent profile, all your hard work on the body turned out great.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Jesus god man... That profile...

When I first got into traditional cars, it was a hammered 33/34 coupe that it did it to me. Hard to shake that notion... Mine wouldn't be much different than yours.

Tim likes this.
  24. Xman

Xman

Go for it Ryan. I'd love to see what you would do.

25. Xman

Xman

Jimmy, Thanks for the pic's. I think your right, his chop is about the same as mine but you can see that windshield is laid back a bit more. Very cool and functional for Bonneville.
    Dan

26. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I love the stance of the last Hartlet Coupe pic, but you did a much better job leaning the A pillars back! I bet if Doug Had the HAMB his woulda been a little more sleek in that department!!! ;)

Your car is looking great! It inspired me to mess with mine last night! Mine's coming slowly... very slowly. But that's OK... I don't mind waiting... it'll get done.

3blap.

27. slack

slack

I liked it before you chopped it and didn't think it would improve it much. Boy, was I wrong! I'm not an authority but I know what I like. Out of all the hundreds of hot rods I've seen on the HAMB or anywhere else this is the best looking one I have ever seen. Great job man. I would like to see a pic of it with the side panels on too. Suhweet. Thanks for sharing.

28. Xman

Xman

You guys have made my day, thanks. I have the complete hood but want to wait till I have the engine sorted out before putting it on. I just laid the tops on for the pics.
    3blap, My attitude is that I would do something every day, no matter how small a project or part of a project. Still not there but close. Do you have a build thread for yours? I'd like to see what you have.
    Dan

LongT likes this.
  29. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Holy shit man!!! This is the perfect hot rod!!!!

30. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Dan... no build thread on mine at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm a build thread kinda guy. Mine will be slow going as I have a '32 5W that's a lot more complete & a lot closer to being on the road. On top of that, I just moved to Arizona in September & haven't gotten my compressor hooked up (time & money).

I tinkered again last night. My cowl top was cut to lean the A pillars, and when they got to the vent, they just cut into vent corners. It has been driving me crazy. I cut the cowl, freed the brace, yada yada yada... it's not welded yet, but soon. I really need my compressor.

I have some photos, but it's not real exciting at this point.

3blap.