Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 merc width help

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by farmer013, Feb 23, 2016.

1. farmer013

farmer013

hey guys new to thread but was hoping I could get a bit of help with something.
    I'm picking up my next project this weekend, a 50 merc and was wondering if someone wouldn't mind measuring the widest point of theres.
    I've got 78" between the wheel wells on the trailer and just wanna make sure the car will fit and don't drag the body along the fenders. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Slopok

Slopok

It appears that the front bumper if you have one is the widest point at 76" wide so it should fit. Hope that helps you. And be sure to post some pictures up when you can.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. Bader2

Bader2

They are a bitch to get on a trailer, I dragged three home,took longer to load/unload than the drive home!

4. farmer013

farmer013

5. farmer013

farmer013

Awesome thanks so much man, one more thing off my mind. All that's left is a 10 hour drive

6. Slopok

Slopok

Just remember that if you drive it onto the trailer and the fender doesn't flip out of the way, you probably won't be able to open the door and if it's chopped you won't be able to crawl out the window either. Seen it happen on more than one occasion. Gotta crawl outa the trunk.

triman62 likes this.
  7. triman62

triman62

Good call checking the width, I nearly drove 12 hours to get another Hudson with a narrow trailer. I was taking a tire off my parts car to take along and noticed that it was not going to fit, luckily I had a bigger trailer. The car I was picking up also had 2 wheels that were rusted and would not roll, so I ripped a piece or 1/2 inch plywood into 1 foot widths and screwed a couple to the wood deck on the trailer to match the tire tread width of the car, I then covered each one with wheel bearing grease, and screwed the remaining pieces over the greased ones. When I got there I took the top ones and screwed them to the trailer behind the front ones and pulled the car up real slick. Good luck with your pickup, and congratulations on your find. post up some pics when you can.

8. U-235

U-235

Now that's a good trick....if you have a wood deck.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

My factory 51 Mercury manual states 77" at widest point. Looking at mine, the bumpers are the widest part.

10. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

If it helps with trailer selection. It'll barely squeeze width wise onto the large uhaul car hauler. Florida to Texas no problems. Just have to tell them your putting a '93 crown vic on it. Their computers wont approve transactions beyond whats spec'd out by the system. And as mentioned, get out before its all the way on.
    1456395717102.jpg