Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn find 1937 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbag, Feb 14, 2016.

1. 327, 4 spd, Americans,..done!
    '38 Chev coupes, have always been one of my favorites.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Wow it looks great in RED kinda got used to looking at DND's fine blue one on here but that red is real nice

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

OK - I'll chime in with my preferences. 327 w/4-speed, excellent!!!!

Now put on 3 carbs (for the 'look') and an obsolete .030/.030 cam (for the 'sound').........

B Bay Barn, slowmotion and volvobrynk like this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The three carbs don't only add show, they bring Go to the party. And the duntov 3030 is always a cool call

I tottaly agree

loudbang likes this.
  5. GaryN

GaryN

Just an FYI for you. A friend of mine with a '60 Vette discovered that by using the spindle uprights from a '49-'54 Chev he could lower the front of his Vette. I don't remember the exact amount but it was at least an inch and maybe a little more. So if you end up going this route, the '49 to '54 Chev front end might be a better choice and probably a lot cheaper to pick up then the Vette front end.
    Also, if you decide to go with a beam axle, you might consider using one from a AD style Chevy truck. I did this on a '38 Chevy coupe a few years ago and it worked out great. Five stud car hubs will bolt on too. Or disc brake conversions are easy as well.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  6. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

i have some extra old dirt if you need some just let me know.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I'll concur GaryN, a 39-48 front end will bolt in. That's what my car has under the front. It does have tube shocks though, and Gambino makes dropped uprights for those front ends.

8. ...your coupe is a great find, good luck with it;
    38 cpe 5-18-12 002.jpg durand 37 coupe 10-29-14 002.jpg 37 coupe 5-10 014.jpg ...it's neat to know these cars are still out there;...here's two coupe's I've been lucky to find and buy in the last 5 years. They are not in the condition yours is, but still cool . Both were stored over 40 years at separate places. the black 37 is my current driver. 37 & 8 Chevy coupes are my all-time favorite coupes.

9. Voh

Voh

This the '37 that I got from my grandpa this past fall.

As it sat in his garage from 1971..
    [​IMG]

In my drive getting cleaned out...
    [​IMG]

Tucked away in my garage for a little while....
    [​IMG]

mvee33, 72yenkonova, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  10. 37ryan

37ryan
    from michigan

newbe here, hope this post takes, and i get a reply. I also have a 37. interested in your comment of using a 49-54 front end. Does it have the 15 inch 5x4.75 bolt pattern? Do you have to pull the engine to make the changeout? Is the wheel spread the same? Would like to keep the original steering wheel and gear box, is that possible? Please reply to [email protected] as I may not be able to find your response in this forum. thanks very much in advance for any info you can give me.

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

37 Ryan do yourself a favor and click on "watch thread" on the right underneath the title of the thread.
    The bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75" and I do believe the tread width is the same.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  12. 1low52

1low52

Wow, what a great car, and the response you've received has been equally great.

I love the 327/4spd. plan. For me, using that combo., automatically puts the build in a time frame specific to it's availability.

I love the awesome condition of the car as found and if it was me I would find another frame (still some around) to build using some of the ideas suggested that fit the era of your HAMB friendly hot rod combo. Set the original aside to leave open the option for you or another to use later on.

It's just me but as I've grown older I find I change my mind and because of choices made my options are limited because I throw away or sell perfectly good stuff.

Again I know sometimes space and $ are considerations but just a thought.

Great old Chevy and build/enjoy it the way you like.
    Tim

loudbang likes this.
  13. elba

elba

Several negative comments about Mustang front ends on their 37/38 . I agree with them ! My straight axle was better.

14. Nice find, that car is in great shape. The MustII style front end can work fine if installed right. If you want to ride lower, this is the easy way to get good ride. Might not be the traditional choice, but it works.

I have the knee action on my 37 Chevy Ute. It is not that good, but it serves the purpose for now. I would rather have the parallel leafs and solid axle, but being a Master deluxe, it has the early IFS. My 38 Chevy sedan has the MustII setup, using stock arms and the strut rod; so therefore no problems.

I think it comes down to how you want to build the car. The 37-38 (and 39s for that matter) respond quite well to the straight axle gasser type look.

15. I agree that the Mustang II front does work fine. My '38 coupe has the Chassis Engineering MII front end and I have driven it many enjoyable miles around Texas the last year on cruises & car shows. I just swapped over to a manual r&p due to no room for the power steering pump and a mechanical fan.

loudbang likes this.
  16. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I've been drooling over this 38 in the classifieds.
    A good look for these cars imo.

Attached Files:

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find-one of my favorite body styles of all time. Agree with the 327 and 4 spd.

18. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Congratulations, nice score.
    If the car was anything less I would say go ahead and small block it, but what I saw in the pictures was damn solid, down to the wrapped rear springs. I would have to wash it, but...I think I would have to drive it some the way it is, for a while anyway. It won't take much to get that one going. I would spend a lot of time admiring it if it had a 261 done right. A 261 or a 235 for that matter is a bolt in, and few exist anymore.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  19. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Not an expert on this but I believe 1953-54 are the 'lower' ones compared to 1949-52 passenger car.
    This thread I'm sure will have the info- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/anti-bag-49-52-chevy-thread.644132/
    Sweet car by the way, gotta love those '37 Chevy's!

Arnold.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. jlckmj

jlckmj

Nice find! For what it's worth, I agree with the 327 and 4 speed!
    You can now buy spindles for the front end of the 49-52 (maybe 54) Chevy's that allow disc brakes for safety and are 2 inches lower, if that is what you are looking for.

There are always guys on the Chevy Talk board that are taking them out and putting in Mustang II or Jaguar front ends, so they can be bought cheap, sometimes free.
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/225/

Actually there is one right now on the HAMB for sale board, unfortunately it's in NY
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/49-to-54-chevy-front-end.1009748/

Here is a FREE one in Wisconsin
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/333122/
    Jim

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Light blue looks pretty good too.

Lt blue 37 chevy.JPG

22. Jibs

Jibs

Two 37's in my driveway. Black one is mrchevrolet with 292 six & 200r4, stock front axle. Blue one is my friend Cliffs, 301 chevy turbo 400, stock front axle. Back in the day the blue one was a gasser with an L88 & 4 speed. Both are real nice drivers.

2 37s.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

24. airbag

airbag

I have finally got around to workin on the 37 and found out the family had drained fuel tank and radiator so just added new gas and a little starting fluid and it started right up and idled like it was new. Pretty cool.

I have been doing some cleaning of the stainless and chrome and just amazing how it has cleaned up.

25. airbag

airbag

26. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

X2!

27. Looks just like the car I've been waiting to buy in my town!
    Awesome score

Attached Files:

28. raymay

raymay

29. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Awesome car...