Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drive it, or ship it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, Feb 23, 2016.

?
  1. Ship

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Drive

51 vote(s)
    94.4%
  1. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Yeah definitely, but it's been killing me not having it here!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I too am in complete agreement with Moriarty. Rear gear swap or some super tall rear tires. This time of year is chancy.
    I'd wait 'till April or later

3. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

Anticipation .. ain't it grand ? ... safe travels ... enjoy the ride .

4. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I am with the "drive it" crowd. However, my advise is to drive I-80. Due to the way the mountains run through Pennsylvania there few continuous east-west roads. I have taken several motorcycle trips to the east coast from Michigan. I have attempted to ride back roads east through Ohio and Penn. I found it to be very frustrating and time consuming. I-80 through Penn is actually a nice drive for an interstate, beautiful scenery. The Ohio turnpike.. not so much, but is is only about four hours end to end. I would also wait until the salt is washed off the roads.

5. @Gasoline Junkie , I would do it again in a heartbeat! Looking forward to June, going to drive 4 hours to the Back to the 50s show in Minnesota.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

I would definitely drive it but not on any snow or salt covered roads.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. TinShed

TinShed

Drive it! If you are married bring your wife, if not bring a friend, father or brother...

I just picked up a car a few weeks ago for my wife and we flew down and drove it back together from Dallas to Minnesota. Never even turned the radio on. In my opinion there is nothing better than windshield time with a loved one or friend. The things you see-talk about are priceless...

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. Can you get someone to come along for the ride? Makes driving straight through easier and safer. I get to the 4 hour mark and I'm toast.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Be Safe, have fun, would not worry about 3:90 gear, SBC will run forever at 70mph, I plan some of my longer runs mixing freeway and back roads are great, run the freeways thru heavy population areas and enjoy back roads, small towns and mom/pop motels.

Hollywood-East and mrspeedyt like this.
  10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Gasoline Junky your Avatar and handle say it all. Plus the SURVEY SEZ'S! Drive it brother and have a great time, take a few pictures along the way for us to check out! Joe

Hamtown Al likes this.
  11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Smart, A friend of mine bought a mustang (5.0)up in Michigan site unseen (clean low mls.) An asked me about hauling it back, I was to busy to at that time, an told him he's missing out on a ride of a life time, He ended up flying in, An drove home in the same type of car he had in high school, When I saw him he couldn't thank me enough for kick'n him to eaze out of his comfort zone... Enjoy your trip! Cheer's

Hamtown Al likes this.
  12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If I was moving just the car, then I'd drive it, but if I was moving my life's belongings, I'd rent a U-Haul with a flatbed trailer.
    Just make sure your AAA membership is paid up.

13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I've done both shipping is between 800-1,500
    If the engine is newer or rebuilt do it
    If it's been sitting awhile don't
    Check your brakes and electronics >lights/turn signals/etc all fluids
    Bring rags if you get stuck in a storm and some of your weather stripping isn't good make sure wipers work .
    I would do it in two days or three no need too push the old girl.
    I've driven from Jacksonville Fl to Austin Tx in a 64 galaxie country squire
    Best time me and my wife had besides almost getting taken out by a semi
    Have fun be safe.

14. aaggie

aaggie

Probably cost about the same if you bought tall tires or paid for the difference at the pump. I would drive it and enjoy the trip. Even better if you had a friend to help with the driving.

15. Drive it.HRP

16. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

looks like a good week end to get some friends to get the cars to mich -- cobo hall for fun and a one way rental home to ny -- cheaper/fun time --priceless

17. jazz1

jazz1

Drive it. I always bring the wife along in case something goes wrong, misery enjoys company!

18. trollst

trollst

I think the thing we forget in this hobby is.......they're CARS. These are machines specifically built to take us from one place to the next. Honest. Drive the friggin thing, if it breaks, fix it, if it gets rock chips, it's supposed to, if it has a flat, get new tires, it's a goddamned car. My 36 ford pickup has 100,000 miles on it, got a few chips, I built another car so I wouldn't have to freshen up a driven hot rod, a truck that is recognised as being driven, something I cherish, remember guys like Gray Baskerville and Bill Burnam? I do. DSC05379.JPG

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Cord.jpg About 15 years ago, I bought this puppy in Albany, NY and drove it back to western Illinois. Took secondary roads when I could, Interstates when necessary. Spent a day or two in western NY with relatives and checked the car for any obvious problems, changed the oil and set sail. Felt like a '30s playboy! (at the time the car had the OEM style bumpers and different wheels...and yes, there is a top, though it doesn't seal well at the windshield.....kept a towel in my lap for the occasional rain shower.)

Also drove a Porsche Speedster from Il to western NY and back...again secondary roads where possible.

I've trailered lots of cars for good reasons, but these drives were FUN!

Ray

trollst and Hamtown Al like this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Pictures are MANDATORY; else you have to drive it back!!:D

Seriously, be safe and have fun. Take a pal... or your gal!;)
    Al

21. Cars are made to be driven. if 60 is your cruise speed then cruise it at 60 and enjoy the ride. ;)

22. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I never been on those roads are but I would say pick a day when it's nice and dry the entire distance and go for it. use secondary roads if you wish but if you just want to get there as fast as you can take the interstate and drive a comfortable speed for the car and you. leave early enough to beat the crush of the morning traffic and enjoy the whole day. should be able to make it there by night.
    most of my driving on the interstate is that I'm slower then the prevailing traffic and getting passed all the time. i usually hang in there about five over the speed limit in cali. in my older cars I am usually always going slower than the speed limit because I don't have an overdrive in any of them. and when I get to 45 I'm ready to shift up and I'm already there.
    I would think dry salt on the road would not be much of an issue at all. and gasoline aint going to get much cheaper than it is right now. in fact I may just will take the train back from California to Kingman and then drive my 41 Cadillac POS back here to LA. (but that's only 300 miles. :)) additional thought ... I might take the long way through Vegas and see if one of those celebrity car guys or one of the pawn stars up there wants to buy my Cadillac.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Drive it! Heck, that's what they're for after all.

I've done a number of 12+ hour days in my Model A Roadster (in all kinds of weather, with no top) and can't wait to make the 850 mile trek down to Austin, TX in April again for the LSRU. Also drove a '57 Ford Wagon from CA to NE last spring. 1600+ miles, about 30 hours worth of driving at 65mph max. Fun trip!

Malcolm

24. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

Do it the easy way, throw it on a car dolly and pull the driveshaft. Best solution all around.

25. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

[​IMG]

26. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I have to agree with everyone that says "Drive it!" Especially if weather conditions aren't snowy slaty slimy roads.

27. Drive it. Back approx 30 years ago I had an OT V8 Vega that was my college car. You can't put a tall tire in stock wheelwell, and with 4.10 rear gears in the 12-bolt, I was buzzing the 350 at 3500 going 55 mph. I did fine, just was louder and used more fuel.

You can do it, the 3.90 and bit taller tires will help. The higher 3000+ rpm won't hurt the engine.

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Drive it, its a bonding process that is rarely shared by many people these days. That's a good ride, take it easy on her, and build a relationship through the hours. And I second the idea of putting taller tires on rear, makes a world of difference.

29. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I'm definitely looking forward to the trip, I'm gonna wait for the spring time though and plus I need to find a place to keep the car. But hopefully I can spend a weekend or two back home to work on the car. In the meantime I'm gonna look for 15" wheels and tires for it.

30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

ATTA BOY! Nothing better than burning fuel and daylight! Remember pictures! Joe

Gasoline Junkie likes this.