Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Am I crazy for rescuing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 22, 2016.

1. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nice save, now how to we explain this to the wife! Joe

2. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Cool find. It seems like everything cheap AND cool is over east of the mountains. If you want cheap, you aren't going to get cool over here. If you want cool, it ain't gonna be cheap. I bet your son will enjoy driving his prom date to dinner and dance in that thing. Good luck, please keep us posted.

4. papajohn

papajohn

5. prpmmp

prpmmp

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

He who has the biggest balls Wins

7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say you're not crazy. But since everyone on this site is a little nuts when it comes to old cars, take it with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

8. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

As far as I know, the vent windows are the same. Can't imagine they would re-tool something like that, anyway they fit fine on mine after I drilled out the spot welds an put the convertible cowl on. The Victoria's hardtop is riveted to a lip that is about an inch high and runs the full length of the cowl. The convertible is flat on top, and has the three chrome posts for the top to latch down on. Granted it has been a few years since I did the conversion, but the cowls are not the same. Perhaps you could grind off the lip and modify it to fit. I acquired the actual convertible cowl with the top mechanism, so replaced it to the firewall. Also, and someone can sure correct me here, the top mechanism I bought was for a 49 or 50. Some bracket work is required to mount it, and I had it fitting fine. However, it turns out a guy who lives a couple blocks from me had a 49 he bought new, and finally pulled it out of the shed to work on it. He had put the top down when it was -30, and broke a couple pieces. (Imagine that, I sure it seemed like a great idea at the time). He had a replacement top mechanism he had removed himself from a 51, and when he heard I was working on mine came over and looked. He said "that's to top I need, I have the one specific to the 51". The 51 was slightly different, and built heavier. Who was I to argue? The only problem was mine was all painted and nice, and his was as removed from the car years ago. Anyway, with a little adjustment, it works great, and we were both happy, I think. My two cents, take if for what it's worth.

9. Oh OK, yes I know the top of the windshield frame is different where the top contacts it, I did not know if you meant just that area or the whole cowl was somewhat different. I think this convertible windshield surround is plenty fixable. And good to know on the top mechanism. I know of three for sale...all expensive, but if the car starts turning out it would be worth it to throw a few bucks at a nice top. But who knows, that's a ways down the road

It's funny, lots of guys said this thing was junk...but it it were a guy dragging a burned and crushed 32 Ford up from the ocean floor he'd be called a hero hahaha. Im sure this thing will get put together

patterg2003 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. Chris you are right! I'm excited about this build. Nice Find. I would get the Vic, and do the Carson top build. For one it would be less money. Then after shes on the road you could think about the convertible top build. This can be one KOOL KUSTOM!!!! just say n. and no not crazy!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  11. desotot

desotot

Most of the parts you need are in Surrey B.C. Check Vancouver B.C. craigslist. The dollar is in your favour right now.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

The right parts car will make that project and it sounds like you have one located so I would say not so crazy.

13. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just glad your moving on to restoring all these new (50s) cars and leaving those old hot rods for the rest of us!

flatford39 likes this.
  14. fuzzface

fuzzface

if I was to stumble on that and was told that price it would have a new home too.
    good luck on your new project. Half the fun is done already though, stripping it.

rileyrecords25 likes this.
  15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

No crazier than the rest of us. Most of us (you included Chris) have started with rusty chunks in worse shape.
    (Since the windshield surround needs work), I'd chop it 3" or so and go full Custom. I'd build out the conv body, keeping the conv rear seat and folding top. Then, I'd chop the Victoria top and fit it right over the conv assy as removable Carson style hardtop. You'd have 3 choices; chopped Vicky, chopped, conv with top up or down. 15398279521_1c7a015f5b.jpg

lewk, ronzmtrwrx, 37hotrod and 3 others like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know about '51s for sure, but at the resto shop I worked at, the '57 Fords had several different vent wing window frames, for convertible, Victoria, and Retractable. I remeber the Victoria ones had an extra lip cast into the top to flip the little "flipper" stainless trims up and down. If the '51 has those, that might be the difference in vent windows.

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Every save is a win!

18. As far as I can tell Vicky and Vert vent windows are the same. 51 Top bows are different than 49-50 but with a little monkey motion things work out just fine. Rear quarter window regulators are different in that the handle shaft is longer to get through the inner upholstery panel. I know that 57 Ford vent windows are different for Hardtop and Vert. That was due to the Flapper on the 57 Hardtop. There is a notch for clearance that is not there for the Vert. Maybe that was what he was talking about.
    P1010185.JPG
    The Wizzard

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  19. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

mate....that's concourse compared to the crap we drag out of the weeds down here in aussie;)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess it depends on who you ask. Not at all crazy is what I say.

21. brad2v

brad2v

Of course you're crazy. But not for rescuing that. My wife is very supportive of my hobby/obsession, but I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for a new place to live if I brought home as many projects as you do:D Keep up the saving!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes.
    Crazy like a fox.

24. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Looks better then any project I've drug home in the last 20 years, and it was cheaper then most of them too! Gene

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It has way less rust then my 55 sunliner that sat in a garage all its life,I would have no problem starting with it.

26. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I've dragged home worse, good save. Can't wait to see what you do with it...

27. F-head

F-head

you guys are nuts what a P O S
    I have a green 53 conv Ill sell ya cheap
    B

28. Love it! I was thinking the rag top had a stouter frame X in it than the Vicky.
    Great looking cars. I had a 51 Vicky for a couple years..hotrod .flathead-3 speed.

29. Rocky; You are correct. The 49-51 Vert has a full I-Beam style X member as well as the flat bar welded full length on the Bottom of the outside Frame rails as the Vicky rails have.
    The Wizzard