Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Am I crazy for rescuing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 22, 2016.

1. This past weekend my brother and I were driving my 33 pickup around, and he said "I know of a 1951 Ford convertible up the street, but it's pretty stripped". He said that he spotted it a couple years ago, but the guy wanted a thousand bucks for it. I said "lets see if it's still there!". We pulled in the guys driveway, and there it was out back behind his garage. Had an old garage door covering it. The guy who owned it said he wanted to sell it, the price this time was 250.00. So I haul it home. I am amazed at how dry it is. Other then the spare tire well, it is nearly rust free. But it is stripped of everything you can unbolt except the floor anchors for the top jacks. I got it home, cleaned it out and washed all the moss off of it. The passenger side windshield post is bent down, but once bolted to a frame I think it should be easy to straiten. I know of a pretty cheap, but rusty, 51 Vicky which would make a great donor car for the doors, windows, trim, dash, frame, front clip, etc. I believe everything except the rear seat back, rear interior side panels, and the op irons them self should work on the car.

My brother mentioned yesterday the he wished he had bought it, and beings I have 2 convertibles already, told him "go for it". I actually think it will be an easy car to save...id rather fix dents the rust! He's only 29 so he can take his time [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My kiddo wondering what is wrong with me

[​IMG]

hipster, jalopykid, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Well, it may be the case of "how I turned a 250 dollar car, into a 20K deficit" ;)

Seriously though, have fun with it!

3. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Yes, you are certified crazy,off your rocker !
    But that's what makes you a gear head
    Only the weak and timid should walk away

Tn. Trash likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Everyone has to start somewhere.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

Well, what's there looks really solid....

Rich

6. oldolds

oldolds

People on here have started with less!

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last I heard, they weren't making those anymore; I say good on you for saving it.

8. flatford39

flatford39

A convertible with a floor in it is pretty hard to find in itself. Must have been protected from the weather.

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Did you get the "lift off top" as well?:D

Good luck... you'll get 'er done.
    Keep workin'
    Al

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. That would sell for a lot more in this part of the country. No rust convert body...oh yeah.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Well it looks like you literally have a blank slate to start with. It looks pretty solid, I say run with it and have fun!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"oh boy, get to inherit more rust". so, are doors and frame unique to this body? yep, will be slow project but, will be worth it in the end.

13. prpmmp

prpmmp

You can speed$250.00 going out to dinner!!! We all know where that ends up in about 24 hours!!!:eek: Pete

14. No, the doors, frame, quarter Windows, etc is all the same as a Victoria. When ford designed the Victoria they simply put a hardtop onto a convertible. So the parts will not be as hard to find as meets the eye. Like I said I know of a Victoria I'm trying to buy that will pretty much save this car. If everything was unique to convertible only, then I may have passed...

steinauge likes this.
  15. Tony

Tony

I would have snatched that up without a second thought for that kinda money!
    Then i'd start looking for a donor car for its chassis etc.....
    Cheap start to what could be a killer finished product!
    Nice score!

Tony

16. image.jpeg You can see a Victoria has a seam above the windshield...the windshield, post, even the stainless on the top of the doors is all the same as convertible. The only rear difference is the Vicky has a wider rear seat because it does not need a top to move up/down on each side of it. But if you wanted to build a Carson top car...id use all the Vicky pieces.

Sure, if you wanted a concours restoration this one may be way too rough. But for a driver or cheap custom, I don't think it will take a lot to get it together

brad2v and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. interesting. why did a solid convertible get turned into a parts car? or was the car taken apart to restore and never put back together?

pecker head likes this.
  18. I'd have saved it too

I'd bet the bent windshield Frame had something to do with it

19. Who knows. My dad recognized the car. It sat in the woods north of town about 20 miles, he saw it once a few years back. It was stripped then too. The guy I got it from, got it from the guy who had it stashed in the woods. The guy I got it from has two other 49-51 convertibles, so maybe this had something on it he wanted, or had plans for it? He just wanted it gone by now.

20. I had rather work on a solid shell needing parts than a complete rust bucket needing everything replaced.
    Nah, you ain't too crazy.

21. gatz

gatz

Am I crazy for rescuing this?

no

22. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I turned a 51 Vicky into a convertible. Had to find the convertible cowl, and the top assembly, but even the captured nuts for the hydraulic top cylinders were in the floor.

23. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Good on you. I'da saved it for that 'one day' for that kind of money. Till then, it'd be a play-thing for the kiddo, just like my '28 Pickup that serves as a jungle jim.

24. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I am surprised at how solid the floors are. That car needs saved. If you can score that Vicky for a donor car then you will be setting pretty. So to answer your question, no, you are not crazy nor is your brother.

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. Seems logical

26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but sometimes cheap is too expensive. Personally I would have left it there

27. What exactly is different on the cowl?

Also, a friend of mine mentioned that the vent window frames are different between Victoria and convertible. Can anyone confirm this?

28. dudley32

dudley32

That can be a very nice car...especially with a Vicky parts car...keep us posted...I'd like to see the progress on this one...

29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nice save, stuff like that back east rusted away long ago.