Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chevy block I.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by binderbart, Feb 21, 2016.

1. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Recently bought a 60 chevy, was told it had a 327. I read the numbers on the drivers side rear of the block which are3858180. I also read the numbers on the passenger front of the block which are T0526HCH. I went to nastyz28 site. From the back numbers it says its a 64-67 327. But it also said there should be 2 sets of numbers on the front of the block and theres only 1. When I try to run the HCH on his site there is no listing. I'd like to know the exact year of this block and what specs it came with stock. Its been bored 30 over.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

thank you, that helps alot. I ordered a new starter and it looks nothing like the one that is in there. Now I see that it came with a powerglide behind it and they installed a 350 turbo. Might be some of my grief. I may pull the starter thats in it now and compare it to the new one. Good possibility it could work anyway.

4. squirrel

squirrel

The info about the block won't really help you figure out the starter...like you said, you need to take the old starter with you to match it up. Although if you post a picture of it, we might could help you figure out what it's from.

5. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

The old one just clicks some times. It will do that about 5 or 6 times then it will start. I'm headed to the shop. Gonna pull it and compare the nose angle to the old one. The bolt pattern on the new one is side by side. The old one is staggered. There is a threaded hole in the block for either

6. Buy a new solenoid. If it is an old one, you may be able to take it apart and turn the round copper contact plate. Usually it gets bad spots on it and won't let the starter engage until you spin it around to land on a good spot. (my shop truck does it all the time, just not enough to annoy me to fix it.) Also check to see if the starter needs to be shimmed. It may not be meshing cleanly with the flex-plate.

7. squirrel

squirrel

If the nose cone of the starter is different, then you have the wrong starter. Usually, staggered or straight bolt pattern is determined by the size of the flexplate, and if the new starter uses a different bolt pattern, the gears won't mesh by about half an inch.

8. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1966 327-275/Powerglide out of a Chevy full size. That motor could have come with two different carbs that year. HCH means 275 h.p. with a Holley carb. HCR meant 275 with a Rochester carb.

9. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Angle of the nose cone looks different holding the new up to the old. Found a part number on the old one. 10465065 and 323-465.

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

12. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

13. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

14. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

It does look like the one in your link. And the new one i got came from O'Reilly's. Think I'm going to call and exchange. Got a part number now. Thank you sir

15. squirrel

squirrel

just so happens I put one of those starters into my 57 suburban Friday....

16. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

What set up do you have

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bart
    Make sure the two starter bolts are the oem style, they will have a knurled (raised) section where they register in the starter nose housing holes. Sometimes they get replaced with plain 3/8in. bolts, leading to starter misalignment issues.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Also make sure the bolts are the correct length. That starter takes bolts that are a little bit shorter than the older, more common 350 starters. The way to tell the bolts are the correct length, is that when you put the bolt in the starter, half of the knurl will be poking out past the starter nose. They work by having half the knurl in the starter, and half in the block.

i have that starter on a 1987 350, but the starter bolt holes on most small blocks (and big blocks) are the same from the early 60s to the end of production. And they're still producing them, in Mexico, as crate motors.

19. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

I took the bolts out and the PO had sanded the knurling off. The bolts are to long which is why he had put the washers on them. I dug thru my magic bucket but no luck. I did find two that had the knurling but I had to put washers on them. I measured with my caliper and tightened them down while prying the starter to ones side. It starts the same so I'm guessing that there is a bad spot in the starter or sylenoid. So I'm going to use the part number on the existing starter and take back the one I have. I'm going to get the right length bolts also. Thanks to everyone for all the help. Great site with a lot of useful knowledge. I did use the rest of the day to clean up the interior some. The old hounds tooth looks great cleaned up.

20. squirrel

squirrel

21. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

22. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Called O'Reily's today. I always run everything thru the shop. That way I get cost and they give you the number to the business line. Your always dealing with the same guy that way. I won't be able to get there till friday, but he is going to have it set aside and said he would line up the new starter bolts for it too. It was $32 more but this one is a lifetime guarantee starter. Works for me.