Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Free engine followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steinauge, Jan 20, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why does this post make me think of Dr. Ellingham??:D
    [​IMG]

cfmvw and 270dodge like this.
  2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you very much flathead Six Fix! Falcongeorge who is DR Ellingham?

3. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

No read the boss's rules it is 1965 and earlier. It is not pre 1965!

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He's the miserable, ornery, up-tight lead character in "Doc Martin" he DESPISES dogs, and theres this stray dog in the show that is his arch nemesis. Adores him, follows him everywhere, wont leave him alone, and drives him APESHIT. Yea, the joke doesn't work if you don't know who Dr. Ellingham is.
    His scenes with the dog crack me up, they are hilarious.

Atwater Mike and cfmvw like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Love that dog!

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. dixiedog

dixiedog

subscribed - this is going to be really cool

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

How can you not like dogs? Dixiedog you are right up the road from me! I am about 20 miles south of Daytona beach.We should try and get together sometime.I got the block back on a stand last night and started trying to get it clean enough to get the valves out of it.Once that is done I can take the pile to the machine shop and get it cleaned properly.

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Took the day off from the Ford and went to cleaning on that block.In got all the valve gear out and spent the rest of the day cleaning the thing and running a hone through the cylinders.Machine shops have spoiled me,I had forgotten just how much work goes into hand cleaning a block from scratch.I got about 6 hours in today and reckon it will be that much more before I am done.Fortunately I dont charge myself much labor. Valves and guides are good,lifters are bad.Pitted from sitting,not worn . DSCN1190.JPG DSCN1191.JPG DSCN1191.JPG

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Arominus

Arominus

looking good, Nice find!

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

sounds like the P.C. law guy has a chink in his armor

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Gotta love Doc Martin! Absolutely deadpan serious character, and just hilarious! The actor who portrays him is actually a very jovial person who loves dogs...they must do a lot of retakes, I can't imagine how he manages to keep a straight face.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Stienage, if you love dogs and havent seen that show, you gotta see it. There arent that many scenes with him and the dog, but MAN are they funny. Whole show is pretty funny if you like dry british humour.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gotta wonder how many times the "Doc" has whacked his head on those low door frames.

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Atwater Mike,he was absolutely right about the weight being too far forward.Problem is the way the bellhousing bolts on one of those makes it very difficult to fit the engine on the stand in the normal fashion.Just have to be careful.We used to use some pretty colorful terms to describe "oriental pragmatic marxists".Dont regret a one of them.

15. Should mount inline engines from the side.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atwater Mike likes this.
  16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you for your advice,that looks like a good solid arrangement . I have never had any problem mounting automotive engines conventionally .This one is nose heavier because of the extra length of the bellhousing,but it doesnt seem to want to fall forward.

17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Well I took that banjo rear end apart.It appears to be in excellent condition mechanically,all I need is bearings and seals.The backing plate nuts were pretty badly corroded but that is why why we have sharp chisels and big hammers.One brake drum may not be repairable,maybe some JB weld? ;) I am still not sure how to mount this rear to the frame.I can use the transverse leaf but that is a lot of work in this instance,I can use semi elliptics but I think the frame is really too short and it will ride like a buckboard,I can use quarter elliptics,looks cool and is fairly simple,or I can do what we often did on somewhat similar devices when I was a kid and mount the rear solid.I just dont know. DSCN1199.JPG DSCN1198.JPG

18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Moving slowly forward on this,I have the rear end parts cleaned up and ready for POR and paint,I am waiting on seals to get here.I reckon I will get the front end apart and start cleaning up pieces to go on the good front axle.

19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Just scored a good set of 16" steel rims for this.I also lucked into most of the rest of the stuff to get the chassis rolling,should all be here in about a week.I reckon I am going to be using the rear transverse leaf spring.I have figured out how to make that work on that rear without too much headache.Does anyone have any A rear spring leaves to sell or trade? I have a master leaf, the leaf directly above it and the short top leaf.I am figuring on running 6 leaves.

20. Budget36

Budget36

I may still have a set of 218/230 lifters if you need them...yours for shipping.

Let me know and I'll do some digging for them.

steinauge likes this.
  21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Budget36 PM is sent!

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

cool build! keep the progress comin!

23. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I got the block,head crank etc loaded up and to the machine shop this morning.I also have gotten all the parts for the rear end in so I reckon I will put that back together this evening. Does anyone know how the center hub section comes out of the brake drum on a 46 ford pickup rear end? I have tried penetrants,heat and pressure.The drums are junk anyhow so I can always cut them off but I would like to know what I am missing.

24. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I am actually making some progress on this thing.I bought a bunch of model "A" stuff for the chassis and it is starting to arrive.I finished up the rear end today and rebuilt a steering box for the car from the pieces of the two I had. DSCN1259.JPG DSCN1260.JPG [/ATTACH] DSCN1264.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I had to build a new bench to do it on,but I DSCN1270.JPG took the front end off the frame today and started taking it apart to see what I can salvage.Reminded me of working on a boat engine-hammer in one hand torch in the other.I got it pretty well apart after a couple of hours but ran out of aceteleyne! the kingpins and wishbone pins will have to wait until tomorrow.All but one fastener came off undamaged!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I got the kingpin retaining pins out,but the kingpins arent moving.I have changed a lot of kingpins and bushings but never in a model A with the original brakes.Does the cup for the brake linkage at the top of the kingpin have to come off before removing the pin? If so how does it come off.Picture is upside down,so cup is at the bottom. DSCN1272.JPG

27. F&J

F&J

The cup is part of the king pin. It is just a stuck king pin.

Plenty of good threads on getting them out.

do you happen to know what the compression ratio was? Just wondering about a different flat 6 I have with about 5.5 to 1. I am not sure I can get enough with a milled head, without ruining the head.. if it gets too thin near a water passage

28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you.I can get it out,just wasnt sure about the linkage. Stock is 7-1.I measured mine out and .060" off the head will give an increase of right at 1 point.(8-1).Seems to be plenty of metal there. What flat 6 do you have? if you really want to go to the trouble you can get a piece of .030 sheet copper and make a thinner than stock head gasket.That will help some.Most of the old 6 cyl head gaskets I have measured were pretty thick( mine is .065").I have made quite a few head gaskets that way and it is time consuming but works fine.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

don't reuse that drum they're pretty common find a rear wishbone any year will do since you are using an A frame split the bones mount them on the frame with heim joints and weld spring mounts either to the top of the axle tubes like the A or on the bones which will put the axle behind the crossmember and lower the car....is your plymouth/dodge transmission open drive?

30. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you for the advice. DSCN1274.JPG I was joking about reusing those drums.I did finally get them off the hubs and got the hubs cleaned up ,painted and new bearings and seals in them.The rear is a 46 Ford pickup and is an open drive.So is the Plymouth.I spent most of the day today getting the wishbone\spring hanger mounts and the spindles off that junk A axle.I once worked a few months for a guy named Glenn Martin who did all sorts of auto and truck work.I did a number of kingpin and bushing jobs for him on various dump trucks,old buses etc.Not one of them ever caused me the grief this A axle did! Normally you get the retaining pin out,heat the end of the axle up and drive the kingpin out.I got the end of that A axle to a red heat and the kingpin did not move at all! I finally just cut the kingpins and got them out that way.Oh well,its all out now,just got to buy kingpins and bushings and start putting the new axle together.I also got the frame up on sawhorses and did another coat of POR on it today. Busy day. DSCN1275.JPG