Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 chevy winter project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by binderbart, Jan 5, 2016.

1. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

I agree with you except on this build. I have a 71 scout II that I restored back to near perfect. It was a lot of work and my pride and joy. The only thing I don't like about it is every time I take it out I panic and worry about rock chips and door dings. This 60 chevy build is basically just a driver. Low budget driver. I'm going to drive the wheels off it. No stress or worry of door dings, come to a gravel road, I'm going down it, sit on the hood or trunk cause its okay. You wouldn't believe how stress free this is. Been going to Torquefest since it started and these are the kinda rigs you see there, each one unique in its own way. I never realized how much fun it would be to do one this way. The paint job is rattle can and doesn't look half bad. I do have a set of front fenders that are like new and a valance also and a near perfect hood. I'm keeping them up on the shelf cause some day a few years down the road I might re do this car and make it nice. Until then, I'm just going to have fun with it.

koolkemp and Tomincanada like this.
  2. oldchev1952

oldchev1952

i'm just happy to see a 4 door. nice!

craig b blue likes this.
  3. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Four doors, no waiting. I did get all the door panels off tonight, what a job and the outer door handles on. No more screwdriver to get the doors open. Got a retired body guy showing up tomorrow to help me get all the chrome back on and then maybe see what I got ahead of me for the floors.

4. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

okay, this just turned into a nightmare. Trying to put all the chrome back on that came in the trunk. So far I'm missing 2 pieces. When they pulled it off they didn't take the time to pull the door panels and unbolt the one nut that held the end of each piece on and just pulled and busted all the studs. All the moulding fasteners are non existent on the internet and I'll left to self fabrication at this point. Not to mention that each head light bucket fastner was destroyed on the tear down also. It will get done. Glad I picked up some double sided tape. Just a small herdle .

5. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Picked this up last Friday . So this current build is going up for sale 20160206_140122.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160207_100628.jpg this is how far I got

craig b blue, Cosmo49 and chevy57dude like this.
  7. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

The red one was to nice to pass on. The price was very right. It has tri-coat red metallic. A fresh 327 with double hump heads, a fresh 350 turbo, new gas tank, air shocks, new bearings and seals in the rear axle, new dual exhaust and headers, all new front end parts, disc brake conversion, new windshield.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  8. '60 Chevys are very cool. Looking forward to more on the red one.

9. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

When I got it there was a backfire issue. This was a 4 year project and then I got it. Turned out a few of the plug wires were hooked up wrong. Runs good now. I wanna get it up on The hoist and look it over. He said when he put the rear axle back in the exhaust"rattle started. I'd like to go with 2" lowered rear springs when I mess with that. The u-joints and carrier bearing are supposed to be new.

Leakie likes this.
  10. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160206_161409.jpg I put my aluminum slots on. Luckily they cleared the front disc conversion

low budget and straykatkustoms like this.
  11. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160212_200855.jpg We had to put in some new plugs and play with the timing. I was told the carb was rebuilt. Choke wouldn't open all the way and it was running very rich. Found the carb was put back together wrong. Tore it apart and redid it. Runs great. Ran it for 20 minutes and then the radiator let loose. Here's pictures of the new radiator. Glad it happened in the shop rather than the first cruise

Attached Files:

12. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160206_171433.jpg A shot of the 327. Gonna look for a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers for it.

13. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160131_141057.jpg Shot of the interior

14. 327Eric

327Eric

I like where your going on this

binderbart likes this.
  15. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160213_123209.jpg 20160213_162342.jpg A before and after. Used model paint from the backside

16. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

20160207_094117.jpg Had the grand daughter's over Saturday night. Grandma and them painted their nails metallic red to match the car

17. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Hopefully my buddy/body man will show up this weekend to buff it out. Gotta put a starter in it too. Maybe get the rest of the chrome on. I made a list. Gonna be in the shop for a few weekends

18. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Thanks, sweet El Camino in your avatar. Nice color too.

19. 327Eric

327Eric

Thanks. The paint has unfortunately faded . I will try to save it but its pretty cheap paint. Seeing yours with the polished wheels makes me remember what I was after when I chose the color.

20. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

60 impala roxie 018.jpg
    2 inches of drop in the rear and we buffed this rear fender out tonight.

21. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

60 impala roxie 021.jpg
    full view of it

Ford52PU likes this.
  22. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Well, been busy on it. It now has petronix flame thrower distributor, flame thrower wires . Edelbrock ribbed valve covers. The correct harmonic balancer. Has a guy buff out the paint saturday, what a difference. The motor still has a vibration on acceleration, working on that one yet. Chrome headers should be here any day now. Still gotta get the balls to dive into the wiring from the altenator conversion and make it right, I hate wiring, The boy had the hoist busy with welding floors into a scout II, thats done now so I should get the hoist on the weekends again. Thermostat stuck on me this weekend, gotta change that. oh, and I wired in the tach and set the timing and the carb with a vacuum gage. little at a time. It developed a tranny leak, coming out of the speedo.

23. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

junkers72 likes this.
  24. Thanks for saving the four doors. Once upon a time Any four door would become a parts car. I used to be strictly Chevy, too. Now the scales have fell from my eyes and I just like Anything old!! I still regret deeply & feel guilt for the four doors I sent packing just to get motor/trans/ front sheet metal. Two that come to mind were a pair of '63 Chevys, an Impala and a Biscayne. Both were as clean as original cars could be. Very minor rust (this was late '70's) & dings. The Impala was a hard top 4 door and had beautiful lite blue paint, 283/PG. The Biscayne, 250-6/3 spd, was almost as nice, but was painted white and showing its age, surface rust & very dull. Both had bright blue interiors & were in very driver-like condition. I pulled both front ends, the 283/PG, what I could use on my 2 doors and sent the rest to Ernie's Salvage. I left the 6 in the Biscayne and I gave it to a friend who pulled it before it left for good, Oh, the guilt!!! I would love to have those two back, what with todays available upgrades, wow! The two 2 doors, both Impalas, one an SS/ factory 4 spd car, I sold within months after :(......damn