Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Buying a shoebox this weekend...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by critchdizzle, Feb 15, 2016.

1. I'm really excited about this, so I figured I'd share it with the rest of you. I'm finally getting a shoebox this weekend! It's a 1950 four-door sedan, looks like it's been customized at some point in the past. Anyone know what that grille is from? Not sure whether it's a V8 or a six-cylinder as the hood is stuck (that's first on the list, if the outside is customized like that I'm curious to know what else has been done to it). I'm getting it from Chickasha, OK so if anyone recognizes it from that area and remembers anything about it let me know!

2fa742a0-d4a0-42b0-a380-c7e8d110d809.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you seen this car in person? did you look under car and see the oil pan? shape of pan could help you figure out what engine is in it. is there supposed to be a complete "was running when parked" motor in it"? doors open? condition of interior? hard to tell from angle but, looks like some type of aftermarket tube grill. what is condition of Vicky behind your car?

3. Here's several more pictures, including the interior. All the doors open, the cable may have just snapped or something like that. I haven't seen it with my own two eyes, but I've seen several pictures, including shots of the rockers on both sides. The Vicky in the background is a '51, if I remember correctly (the Craigslist ad is no longer up) it's in pretty good shape, runs and drives. I can ask for more info if you want, and take some pictures when I'm out there this weekend.

37868be3-d05e-4107-bb39-7259500880f1.jpg 05604a41-14c9-4c59-99ec-ab8e8f03acfa.jpg e41b4f50-c87e-4713-a870-5b16b4d92f6f.jpg

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

why the 4 door instead of the Vicky ? Vicky has more long term value

5. Squablow

Squablow

I see shaved side trim, a '51 hood with the seam filled (possibly lead), a '51 upper grille bar painted body color, a tube grille, and a repositioned radio antenna. Interesting.

Looks like a very big project, hope the price was right, but a neat car with some period touches that still survive.

6. @Squablow, I saw the same things, and it piqued my interest. I really want to see if I can find out any history on this car, there's quite a few custom touches there. The price was most definitely right.

@Jalopy Joker I know the Vicky would have more long-term value, but I'm wanting a car that I can use to haul family in to car shows (my wife and I have a 14-month-old son and I don't want to have to contort myself to get him in the back seat of a Vicky or two-door sedan) and use as a car, instead of having an investment that I'm afraid to drive. Plus, as I mentioned above, the price was right.

7. Dutchwonder

Dutchwonder

Very cool! Your floor looks better than mine - which of course isn't saying much on these shoeboxes. I'll be curious to see if it's an 8 or 6.

8. @Dutchwonder yeah that's one of the big pluses is the condition of the floors and the rockers. I ended up not being able to go get it this weekend, I should be able to within the next couple of weeks. I'll start a pickup/build thread when I do.

9. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Good for you, glad you found yourself a project ! The fun begins..... Lol...

10. Wasn't able to get it this weekend, plan to go out here in a couple of weeks and get it. Yeah, I'm excited to finally get a project to work on, I've learned a lot from all the builds on here and hope to apply what I've learned!

11. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Any updates ???

12. F.Y.I. Having broken the Hood release cable in more than one of these 49-51 Fords I have found what I believe is the better way to get them back open. The last 3 times I've raised the car up high enough to remove the Front Bumper and the lower splash apron. Then reach up behind the Grill with a 6" screw driver and get behind the lever where the cable fastens and push the tab to the drive side. Yes it's a real pain in the A--. It will also help if you know what the latch looks like when the hood is open.
    The Wizzard

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  13. Haven't gotten out there to get it yet, plan to this coming weekend.

Thanks! Saves me having to ask about it when I get it home. I'm really curious to know what this thing has under the hood, given the custom touches already I'm wondering if anything was done to the engine. I do plan to strap the hood down well on its way back to my house, don't want that hood latch finally coming loose on the turnpike. Do you mind posting a picture of your latch, if you have a stocker, so I can see what it looks like? Thanks!

14. Here ya go.
    51 Vicky 011.jpg
    One of the things that make getting them to release a real Bitch is the short Vertical lip on the Rad side of the latch panel. You can't get your fingers in there. Another thing to be aware of is without the correct cable jacket retainers the complete cable will move not letting the inner liner pull the latch arm. Take note in this photo none of the retainers are correct. They have since been found and installed. They are also directional. In this photo you can see piece of soft wire hooked to the latch release arm I can get hold of open the hood with.
    The Wizzard

15. Thanks for the picture, I'll definitely use that as a reference!

16. The floor is in way, way better shape than mine - another guy mentioned that in this thread as well

Ya lucky guy, patch it up and go.

17. On our way back home with it now (don't worry I'm not driving). The rockers and body are in worse shape than I thought, there's some pitting in several places and the rockers look to be mostly bondo. Here's a picture of it loaded. IMG_20160319_113730445_HDR.jpg

18. Moondog13

Moondog13

Woohoo! Drive safe and pop that hood when you get home!

19. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Awesome !!!! Glad you finally got to pick her up !

20. Made it home this afternoon, made a deal with my wife that I'd help her clean up the house after getting back so haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post up some more pics. It's got some pitting in the usual places (panel below the trunk lid, quarter panel above the wheel well, door) so I'm gonna be making a few changes to plans and start an official build thread.

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Glad to hear that you finally got it home. Once you get started on it, don't lose focus - just keep pushing forward. There are a few places making sheet metal , so that's cool. I've seen cool stuff made from a lot worse. She'll make a nice ride. Take lots of pics.

22. Yeah, most of the places that are really bad have patch panels available. Only place I'm worried about is a quarter-sized spot right next to the passenger side headlight, that compound curve there looks like it could be gnarly to fabricate, and I don't want to scrap a whole fender just for that spot.

23. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not that difficult a patch to make if it's that small. Use some 18 gage. Remove only as much as you need from the fender to have good metal on all sides. Cut the patch to match the removed area. You should be able to bend it to the contour by hand. Then carefully tack it in place and slowly fill in between the tacks. The slower you go----time in between welds----the less distortion.

Moondog13 likes this.
  24. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

So did you get the hood open yet ?

25. Haven't even touched it, haven't had time to. Sunday afternoons are when I plan to work on it, I'll see if I can get some done tomorrow if it's not raining too bad. The car takes up the whole length of my third car garage so I'll have to be sticking my legs out into the driveway to work on it. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow on it, may see if my dad and brother can help me as well to make some progress. I'll start a build thread and get some more pictures up once I've started.

Already a member, planned to do one of these for a while and finally got the space and funds to do so. I've read about every single build thread I could get my hands on in the past couple of weeks, I know I've been through each of you guys' at least twice.

26. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

I hear ya on the time, it's tough with a family and work. Not sure how old your kids are but its always fun to keep them involved plus it keeps the wife happy. At least it's safe in your garage and if anything you can go out and stare at it when you need to get away. I know my car has been good therapy after a rough day at work... Your a caretaker of some cool American history now so take it one step at a time and don't get discouraged ! Plus if your dad and brother are willing to help it gives you an excuse to spend time with family !

27. My son is 15 months old (just started walking) so having him help out isn't quite in the cards yet. Soon though. I will admit I've found myself in the garage a few times just staring at it, in disbelief that I've finally got it.

28. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

I'm dying to know what motor you have in it... Can't wait to see some pics ...

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Should be easy enough to lie on the ground under the bumper (or do a quick jack-em-up) and look to see what engine it has . I'd be dying with an....ticip.............ation if it was mine :)