Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Does anyplace still Retread Tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by animal8324, Feb 18, 2016.

1. animal8324

animal8324
    from nj

I have a set of Denman white walls that are gorgeous but ride like a roller coaster and as the title suggests I want to know if anyplace still retreads tires (I'm in Southeast Minnesota).
    Also is it worth it and are there any other options to save these tires?

Thanks

2. Raunchy

Raunchy

Towel City might.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How much tread is on them now? If they are not worn too much the answer might be to have them shaved or trued up. Some big tire stores have a machine that will shave rubber off the tread and make the tire perfectly round. This will cure a lot of shimmy, roughness etc.

4. k9racer

k9racer

Nashville Tennessee. Nashville tire recappers. He does all the tires for the post office. Owners name is Tommy. If I cam find his card I will post more.

Model T1 likes this.

5. midroad

midroad

We used to get tires regrooved years ago. It worked ok on bias ply rubber but not good on radials. If you can find someone to do it they would look better than retreads.

6. k9racer

k9racer

Tire Recappers of Nashville Tn. Three generatons and have been in buss since 1960...Address is 3000 Nolensville Pike.. Local land line 615 832 088 seven. Toll free 855 507 322 seven. I hope this helps.I know Tommy from buying race recaps from him.I hope this helps.. Bobby

Model T1 likes this.
  7. Mowogler

Mowogler
    from UK, Surrey

If the tyres have been flat spotted from sitting then the distortion is probably permanent. Rubber is funny stuff. I worked as an engineer for a tyre company when I was at university. We made loads of things like rubber boats engine mounts, hoses, seals for hydroelectric dams golf club grips etc. and I learned a lot. It goes hard stiffens with age and looses it's hysteresis. I once bought a car which had twenty year old tyres on and you could lock the wheels up at will because the tyres were that hard. I got them replaced. Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Aren't Denman tires mostly for trucks / trailers / utility use? Regardless, the easiest solution just might be to buy new tires. I've had tires shaved (effect didn't last long as I had other problems) and the cost was higher than I liked just for 2 tires. Same goes for retreads... I'd never use them unless the vehicle speed was low (on the farm?). And not on a performance car, or for interstate use at higher speeds. Tires are, after all, the only things between your ass and the road (or ditch). Get the best you can. Gary

Texas57 and Hnstray like this.
  9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I can true them. $15 each. Tread needs to be clean. What is the rim bolt pattern? Located in Central Iowa.
    Thanks. John

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Old tire carcasses are just that...OLD! They should be replaced with new tires.

Recapping tires makes sense when the original tread is worn off in short calendar timeframes due to lots of miles driven...i.e. heavy trucks, busses, fleet vehicles. In those instances the casings haven't aged enough to lose their flexibility and it is more cost effective to recycle the casing. But, it is telling that for heavier vehicles (trucks) recaps are generally not used on steer axles, just on the drivers and trailer axles.

Ray

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

And look at how often they come apart on the highway even though they are not on the steering axle.

Model T1 and Texas57 like this.
  12. Hysteresis. They say we have strange words in Texas!

Model T1 likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those tires are a minimum of 6 years old as the company went bankrupt and out of business in 2010. Another company bought the molds for the Off road heavy equipment tires. I didn't see anything about the molds for the vintage car tires.

14. Diamond back also has recaps/retreads.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have my semi truck tires recapped, but they have a age limit of 5 years on the casing. I have had the same casings recapped twice and had good luck with them. Recaps are never ran on steering axles because of the possibility of throwing the cap off. Most of the caps you see slung off on the highways were either under inflated causing heat to build up and cause the casing and cap to separate and fail or were possibly damaged in the sidewall area. There are some recappers who will put a cap on any casing regardless of it's age, so some of those blow outs come from over aged casings as well. A good company will inspect the casings for age and damage, and cull any that doesn't meet their specs. I have sent off 4 for capping and only get 1 or 2 of them back, the others being culled for one reason or the other.

Model T1 likes this.
  16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, have not thought of that in years. My dad used to get recapped snow tires in the fall before the snows hit New England.

5window likes this.
  17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

18. elba

elba

Airliners run recaps. Each tire has a S/N and a history chart . I saw one recapped 21 times.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Must have been yuuuuge!......with that many caps on it..:D

Ray

56don and Stu D Baker like this.
  20. Model T1

Model T1

It goes hard stiffens with age and looses it's hysteresis. I know the feeling............. Except the stiff part!:confused:

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

We ran recaps all the time. My first set of tires on my '38 coupe were recaps. By the time I needed another set I was working in the tire shop at Monkey Wards.

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Montgomery Ward has been out of business for about 40 years!! :D

Ray

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

They were in business from 1872 until 2000. Their assets were liquidated in May, 2001. A mail-order retailer purchased the intellectual rights to Montgomery Ward and began selling items online under that name in 2004. In 2008, the company was purchased by Swiss Colony. I kinda miss Monkey Wards.

5window likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

Sounds like just another situation where rubbers and estrogen weren't compatible. :)