Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Plymouth build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bartikus, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Murfman, my 8 1/4 must be from a car then it has 4.5 on 5, the slant 6 distributor mod is much the same, I can still get them fairly easy up here, but yes they must be getting scarce.
    Yes the trans adapters Gary fabricates, for a few transmissions, the Chrysler A833 is just a simple adapter plate, is only $140 USD.
    On the 218, not putting it down, but have been informed by many, that a dressed up 218, will have as much power as a 230, don't forget the late 50s 230, were upwards of 138 hp. Now the 98 hp 218, with a higher compression head, dual and dual, cam job might get you what 20-40 hp, so your in the same ball park.
    a 265 is where it's at for making power, going upwards to 175-180 hp can be done.
    But again Murf, not my experience on the 218 hop up, so if you have already done it you would know first hand...

2. murfman

murfman

The shorter stroke of the 218 lets it rev a little more before it ventilates the block as well. Don't forget that in 53 the 230 was rated at 103 HP while the 218 was 100, so it stands to reason they will both increase a proportionate amount. The QEC Adapter is a bit more pricey, at 300, but The last A-833 OD trans I saw for sale with bell housing and shifter was 750$ I picked up an AX15 complete with clutch and flywheel for 175$

3. bartikus

bartikus

My plan is to run a stock trans for now because I want to keep the three on the tree and start searching for an overdrive unit.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

plymouth1952 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  4. Matty P_54

Matty P_54

Murfman did you have any issues with the trans and 8.8 rear end lining up or any major issues. I have a 54 Savoy that I will soon be starting on.

5. murfman

murfman

No, the diff is offset to the passenger side a bit, but I've had the car up to 80 MPH with no vibrations or issues. A Fox body Mustang driveshaft ended up being about an inch short ( I got one for free with the trans), so I made a ring to bolt between the flange on the diff input and the driveshaft to make up the difference. I had the steel, a mill and a lathe so it was cheaper than a new driveshaft. Also lets me use a stock Mustang shaft if I ever need one on a road trip

1952B3b23 likes this.
  6. bartikus

bartikus

So I haven't done a whole lot on the Plymouth as of yet mainly because I didn't have a welder. So I started checking local classifieds and would see a few decent ones pop up here and there but by the time I called they were already gone. So I decided that I needed to go check some local pawn shops. I think I went to 10 to 15 pawn shops today and they always had the cheap Harbor Freight garbage or way overpriced welders that I wasn't wanting to buy. I don't really have a whole lot of money right now so I was looking for something between 150 and 200. I went and ended up buying a Hobart 125 for$160. I was actually pretty stoked. All I had to do when I go home was throw a new spool of wire in it and replace the grounding clamp with one i had in my garage. It is working really well now. I do need to replace the plug for the outlet because the ground is broken off. And I need to find a new cover for the tip it has the wrong one on it and when you go to weld if you touch the metal it will ground out through that. I'm pretty excited because now I can start fixing the floor pans in the car, I hope to get started on it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Habitual likes this.
  7. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Glad you've got the tools for the job, now. Keep us up to date with progress pics!

Habitual likes this.
  8. bartikus

bartikus

As soon as I start lots of pictures will get posted.

Habitual likes this.
  9. bartikus

bartikus

Ok I just got done talking to a guy locally he has a 1955 Plymouth that he is parting out. It supposably has a running 230 flathead in it. I'm going to go check it out and if it is good I'll pay the $125 he wants for it.

Habitual likes this.
  10. Habitual

Habitual

I'm in the same boat. ....need a welder. Time to get off my arse and get 1.

Sent from my SM-T310 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. bartikus

bartikus

Ok I went and looked at the motor and it runs so I'm going to buy it from the guy. If all goes well I'll get this motor grab the trans and driveshaft from the guy in Idaho and have a running driving car before the end of April.

12. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Looks like a fun project!

13. bartikus

bartikus

I got the motor from the 1955 Plymouth Savoy home today. Pretty stoked about it. I'm going to clean it up and get it in the car it was running and I saw it run before the guy pulled it.

Attached Files:

'Mo and HotRodRyan like this.
  14. So did you score the running 230 ci flathead for $125? If so that's a great deal!!

15. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

The 230 will run great, I put a T5 behind mine and it cruises just fine with even just a single 1bbl.
    Enjoy the build

16. bartikus

bartikus

Yep it will need some clean up and a tune up. The guy I bought it from filled the carb with fuel and it ran for about 30 to 60 seconds and even though it had been sitting for a while it fairly smooth.

1952B3b23 likes this.
  17. bartikus

bartikus

I had one olds cap hanging on my wall and these other three came up for sale locally. I paid the guy $25 for the three that match. I figure you won't be able to tell that they don't match 100% when they get put on the car.

Attached Files:

1952B3b23 likes this.
  18. bartikus

bartikus

So I've started cleaning some parts. I miss having access to a parts washer and solvent tank. Took me two hours to clean the bell housing to this point. I just changed a fuel pump in a late model car that had been sitting for three or four years and it had some varnished gas that I poured into a five gallon bucket. I haven't gotten rid of it yet and decided to try soaking the clutch fork in it over night as an experiment because I was frustrated with my progress on the bell housing. It worked fairly well. But I know I really shouldn't use gas to clean parts and it stinks really bad. So I'm going to go get a couple of gallons of solvent and start using that to degrease the parts for the car.

Attached Files:

19. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah that stuff works good, but like you said it's kinda pricey. There is a local fuel company that dispenses mineral spirits right out of the gas pump. I'll just go buy a couple gallons from them.

20. bartikus

bartikus

I ordered in a gasket set for the 230 yesterday and as soon as it shows up I'm pulling apart the motor and resealing it. I also ordered a metal basket for soaking parts. I'm going to pick up a metal 5 gallon bucket from the hardware store and put a couple of gallons of solvent in it so I can soak the parts coming off the motor. I decided to paint the motor Chrysler blue. I think it will look great. I'm really hoping to have the car running and driving before the end of may. I want the car to be my daily driver and I convinced the wife to let me get the car together as fast as I can because it will get better gas mileage than my suburban.

1952B3b23 likes this.
  21. bartikus

bartikus

Look what came in the mail today!!!!

Attached Files:

1952B3b23 likes this.
  22. bartikus

bartikus

So I had to install the new lenses in the car. I pulled one of the bumperets off because that is the look I want. Started to pull the second one but it started raining pretty hard and I was getting soaked. I think the lights look great.

Attached Files:

1952B3b23 likes this.
  23. My father has a '49 convertible, all stock suspension and running gear, damn thing drives like a new Cadillac. Runs smooth, plenty of power for what it is. Just a really nice car to drive. Good luck with yours.
    [​IMG]

He got his skirts from Agape BTW. Good quality.

24. bartikus

bartikus

Nice looking car

25. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

If it was mine, I'd convert those sun-bleached reflectors into turn signals! :)

Sent from my LG-V495 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. bartikus

bartikus

That's not a bad idea.

lwebb and Peanut 1959 like this.
  27. bartikus

bartikus

Ok I started pulling apart the 230 tonight so I could check it out clean it up and reseal it. I pulled the head off and there is a slight ridge on the top of the stroke just like I was expecting. I am just doing a reseal job on this motor right now and figure I'll just run it the way it is. Good news is all the valves move and none of them are stuck. I'll get as much of the carbon build up off as I can. The thing to remember is I heard this motor run. The guy I bought it from filled the carb with fuel and ran it for about 30 seconds to a minute. It sounded good and didn't smoke at all. I'm just resealing the motor because it has some oil leaks.

Attached Files:

1952B3b23 likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have it milled 0.060". You'll be glad you did.

29. bartikus

bartikus

That's really not a bad idea I'll make a few phone calls today