Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. This is terrible! Who would spend $150k on something like this. Is it pro street, is it a gasser, is it a/fx or is it a blown 70s street freak?! You can't just through a bunch of stickers and parts on a car without some continuity, well you can, but then you end up with some really cool individual parts that make up one ugly car.
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5403530411.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  2. ec164

ec164
    from MI

It seems like it has been advertised somewhere that it is in line at Barret Jackson or Mecum? not sure which.
    Cool car and idea but not at all in my taste buds, don't look very driver friendly.................Al

loudbang likes this.
  3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;saw it in person,was not impressed!Some great ideas,just not carried out properly!!With the Blower it would NOT be an A/FX car,maybe a GAS Class car

loudbang and ec164 like this.
  4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Good Call Roy, Chrismans car was not considered A/FX either. Not sure if they had a class or it was exhibition and or match races................Al

loudbang likes this.
  5. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I remember a S/XS class,think it was for blown cars!In todays Drag Racing world cars fit in a Verity of classes,so I guess you could call them anything!! Never really cared for that Comet,A LOT wrong with it,looks like it was hurried along to finish! Is that a picture of your FE? ROY.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Some guys have more money then brains and I guess if money is no object sometimes you spend it in foolish ways.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

65COMET likes this.
  7. 65COMET

65COMET

Jimbo;I AGREE!!! ROY.

8. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I believe that used to be my 404, sold it to a guy that had a shop in LA that was going to build a Gasser style car. It looked nothing even close to that, was stock with teardrop hood and a core 302. I believe he is a member here. If you search my old posts you can see what he started with.,..

loudbang likes this.
  9. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I'm guessing your talking about that sedan Gasser Roy? And Yes it is!...............Al

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

11. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

12. Drove by a 65 wagon for 5 years- always was going to stop- then one day it was gone- after seeing this post made me wish I had followed up-

13. loudbang

loudbang

Found this one today on the drag cars in motion thread. I don't think I have seen it in here before.

[​IMG]

1947knuck, Muttley and ec164 like this.
  14. 65COMET

65COMET

Great Photo!! I do not remember ever seeing this picture!! ROY.

15. loudbang

loudbang

That it is. I like the old mags up front and steelies with slicks in the back.

1947knuck and ec164 like this.
  16. That's my dad running the 65' car in VA in the middle 90's at Frank Spittle's Super Stock Reunion. Cool Picture.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Racing Fossil

Racing Fossil

This is my first post on the board. As a teenager I saw the cammer Comets run at the '65 Winter Nationals. Something I have not seen mentioned in the articles I've read about these cars on several sites is this: While the AHRA and match race/outlaw circuits allowed the radical altered wheelbases, NHRA in A/FX did not. In 1965 they had a two percent of the wheelbase maximum limit. The top dog touring teams of all makes there that day had cars built to this rule. They also had a second non-NHRA car, which led to the common site of one car on the then standard ramp truck and the other on an open trailer behind.

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Welcome we new new input people aren't posting much anymore :(

1947knuck likes this.
  19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Well spring is close I know it will bring some new life..............that may bring some of the old history with it. We are 283 pages into History of a 64/65 model car that really didn't have all that many built, let alone race cars.........Al

loudbang likes this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

The question is where is ROY and what has he been up to? :cool:

1947knuck and ec164 like this.
  21. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

The last time ROY and I spoke, he mentioned he was planning on moving. I believe that has been consuming a lot of his time right now.

ec164 and loudbang like this.
  22. 65COMET

65COMET

I'm still here in Commiefornia,for now!! I sold my house and have a bid on one in Nevada! I have paid for entry into March Meet,but may not be able to go.My Comet is ready,just don't know about time!! ROY.

loudbang likes this.
  23. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Hi Roy good for you on the real-estate sale. Nevada sounds like a nice state. Wondered what you've been up to. Hope all works how you want! ...........................Al

65COMET likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Glad you got out of the banana democratic republic of kalfornia. And the Mercury mafia didn't have you locked up in a cars trunk. :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  25. 65COMET

65COMET

Thanks for the kind words!!I was born and raised in Commiefornia,hate to go but the Political Climate is more about illegals and spending on foolish things than taking care of citizens,I have had it!!My home has sold,escrow ends next month,hope to be in Nevada by end of March!!Place I'm trying to buy is 35 minutes North of the Dragstrip at LVMS! ROY.

ec164, Muttley and loudbang like this.
  26. Muttley

Muttley

I just had my exhaust done yesterday afternoon, I'll post a video later today.

powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  27. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Myron hope to meet you finally next week at Cobo Hall
    That's great Roy only half hour from a great track!...................Al

loudbang and 65COMET like this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

Before:

After:

Analog Dog, tommyd and loudbang like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Quieter with the new system that could be good or bad depending on your tastes :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Had to post these :rolleyes:

Found these in this great video of car haulers and how race cars were moved in the 60's. Great video with a LOT of super stars of the 60's too many too new for HAMB, the grump, sox and martin, ford drag team etc.

Capture.JPG Capture 1.JPG