Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sbc valve seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willyschad, Feb 18, 2016.

1. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

Tearing down a sbc for a project car. Started disassembling the heads tonight. Has anyone ever taken the heads apart and found no valve seals? I compressed the spring and pulled out the retainers. Removed the compressor and took off the springs. There are no seals on the valves?

2. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Lots of stock type heads ran an o ring in a groove right under the locks--also many folks don't run them on exhaust--best to fix guide top as needed and run a good quality metal clad seal with viton rubber--that is best way to go

3. If it's an early engine it might just have O rings seals.Sometimes the seal is so deteriorated that very little of it, if any, remains on the valve stem.
    [​IMG]

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it is the O ring type and they are gone good chance they are all packed in the oil pump pick up.

falcongeorge likes this.

5. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

image.jpg Ok so all I need is o rings then? The new valve spring kit I got came with these

6. You can machine the top of the guides to accept the those seals. Tool should be available ...Do a search

7. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

8. e z i

e z i

The stock type o rings work just fine.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Max Gearhead, blowby and drifters cc like this.
  10. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

If you don"t want to machine the guide boss, Use FORD umbrellas seals cheap and work much better than the gm orings..

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

So do I put the o ring on the valve and then compress the spring and put the keeper on?

12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Compress valve, slip o-ring on, then lock, careful to release as straight as possible or the retainer will tear the seal, you'll figure it out..

13. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

Thanks everybody. I gotta get this thing done. Hopefully it's gonna be warm here soon to cruise!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When you install them put some oil on the O ring so when the retainer comes up it wont try to roll the O ring up out of the groove.

15. aaggie

aaggie

Quick tip, if you use the Perfect Circle type seals use a 7/16 deep socket to drive them down over the guide boss. Perfect fit and won't damage the seal.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Before you waste time w/seals , have you checked the guides ? how about the valves ? how about the seats ? how about the heads for cracks ? What's the point of seals w/o checking out the heads& valves ??
    dave

H380 likes this.
  17. afaulk

afaulk

One of the most common problems with a Chevrolet engine. The o-rings deteriorate with time and simply fall off. If the engine smokes when you start it, air up the cylinders and change the suckers. It's not a big job.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'Cause this is a really easy job, costs next to nothing, and can be done by someone with moderate skill in about an hour.

302GMC and Hollywood-East like this.
  19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And w/a SBC head [especially 1 that looks like the OP's] an excercise in abject futility !!
    dave

20. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

Engine ran fine before it was pulled. Just upgrading the cam, timing set, and oil pump before I put it in the truck. I figured for the price of it id put new valve springs and seals in too. Should be a healthy little cruiser when it's all done

Hollywood-East likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Did this many a time on SBC's. Those you have in the bag look just like Ford units, I'd use them and forget the O rings, they won't be needed with that kind of seal.

22. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

Put the new o rings, springs, gas and keepers on this afternoon. Hopefully I can assemble the engine and roll it out to paint it this weekend