Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Galaxie/Country Sedan - Installed New wheels/tires now it handles like carp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRMB, Feb 18, 2016.

1. 1963 Galaxie/Country Sedan - Installed New wheels/tires now it handles like carp
    I hope you're not floundering about;):p

Jalopy Joker, czuch, montero and 3 others like this.
  2. clem

clem

Why did the last guy sell them, they may look in great condition but mabe he had problems with them also ?

3. clem

clem

Maybe two wheels at a time on same axle but what is suggested above is not a great idea.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the air pressure is too high on these old cars, radial or belted, they'll wander or feel quite loose. Tar strips, irregular pavement, excess crown, all bad. Even in prewar cars it shows up like that. Instead of 34 or 36 PSI like newer radials say (which is a max pressure) try 30-32. I know it seems counter intuitive but I hear of this all the time and that's almost always the cure. Air pressure isn't a "fix all" but it's the 1st thing I do or recommend.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pics shown don't appear to indicate any whacky wheel offset but that doesn't necessarily mean much as it's the comparison with the stock wheels that is important, as has already been stated (by Moose). I've got the T shirt on scrub radius problems, and also toeing out when it should be toeing in - so many front wheel drives around these days that the tech guys aren't to be trusted to get it right.

6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I know you said you had an alignment done and everything checks out, but it really sounds like the toe in needs to be increased just a touch. If you think about it, you know those modern tires are gonna grip the road more aggressively than a bias tire. If the toe in was on the edge of spec, the stickier tires, especially being directional, might make make it want to "chase rabbits" a little more. I would try to give it a little more toe in and just see what happens. Also, I may have missed it in your post, but does the steering box have any excess play in it? If so, this could multiply the problem.

58custom and Atwater Mike like this.
  7. birdman1

birdman1

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's been my experience as well. My 66 Corvette has wide radials on increased offset rims and needs lower pressures.

Also, if it was aligned to stock bias ply specs you might do well to use later radial Galaxie specs.

9. I could go along with a belt issue, but usually they are very evident when spun balanced. Does one wheel have a lot of weight on it? Have someone take another look at the toe. Too little positive caster will contribute to the wandering thing.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Are the new tires rated for the load of the Galaxie??? That is not a light car, I have a '62 Mercury Monterey wagon as well, and most passenger car tires are not rated for the weight of one these big girls. You have to start looking at light truck and SUV tires.

11. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Thanks! I just did a ton of stuff to it and now it needs a ton more. But I'm hoping to have a solid driver here, soon.

And thanks to the group for all the great ideas and info. I am going to follow each lead.

12. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

The treads are directional. Not sure if you can tell from this pic.

[​IMG]

13. indyjps

indyjps

The issues you describe point to a problem with the tires.

Do you know anyone else with a ford that they can be swapped onto for a road test.

Do you have your old rims and tires to swap back on your car to be sure it's not a suspension issue.

Just because they are directional doesn't mean the tires were run correct direction by the previous owner. You also don't know if they went flat and were damaged.
    Rim runout on the car is pretty easy to check and worth looking at.

I've owned several tires with slipped belts over the years, by the time you see bulging in the tread area that tire is ready to shred.

firstinsteele likes this.
  14. Tires, is my guess.

15. No, but it fishtails some...:p

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thing Galaxies didn't have fins...

17. If you have the old tires still mounted up, swap the fronts and go for a ride. I would start there and you'll know right away if things improve.

18. flatford39

flatford39

I have read through this thread and it looks like to me you just mounted what you bought without checking balance. I would get them balanced and if you still have problems you probably bought shit tires.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've had 3 '63 Galaxies, and two were the Half of it! (those were '63-1/2)

There was a PROBLEM with the front suspension, Holman & Moody addressed it just prior to when they removed an early '63 'Boxtop' and replaced it (crudely) with a '61 Starliner 'bubble top'. (picked up 16 MPH)
    This was the predecessor to the '63-1/2 "Fastback". Ford engineers showed up to H/M's track and O.K.'d the design change for the mid year!
    While doing that, H/M took a look at the 'wandering' the car did at low speeds, then at ultra high speed. The suspension had the front lower control arms 'shackled', to 'hinge softly' at varying degrees of toe over slight driveway entrance, etc.
    H&M designed a solid fix, a short rigid 'strap', bored at both ends and heat treated, to be bolted onto the studs at the ends of the shackles. (making the left rigid with the right)
    I installed 20+ of these on customers' cars, eliminating 'scuff' (these cars had it in SPADES!)
    -Then setting toe at 3/16" toe in, measured with trammel at the scribed tire tread centers.
    H/M toe straps looked like a 1-3/4" spring leaf, while the Laher model was a tube, flattened on the ends. Both worked equally well.
    After this retrofit the tailheavy Galaxie improved drastically.
    This will cure your problem. (unless the rear spring center bolts are sheared...:D)

ronzmtrwrx and 302GMC like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Carp
    Must be one ill handling "sucker":eek:

21. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

WOW. Gunna send you an IM. Would like to get some details that I can share with my mechanic. Thanks!

22. barstowpo

barstowpo

I think Atwater Mike has hit the nail on the head. There is a guy that sells the bars on eBay that accomplishes the same thing. There are also eliminator kits that eliminate the front lower control arm eccentrics.

23. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I'm not clear on what exactly I'm looking for. Can you link me?

24. Slopok

Slopok

But he mentioned he didn't have the wandering with the other wheels and tires.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no wonder (wander?) we have had such a hard time figuring out what this slippery problem is

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what is the name of part as it is listed on eBay?

27. Slopok

Slopok

Try adjusting the WORM gear.;)

28. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Install a SBC in her and all things will be right

29. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I just did a bunch to the stock engine - so it's gonna have to do for a while!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooon likes this.
  30. I think "eel" come up with a solution taking out good advice.