Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 Galaxie/Country Sedan - Installed New wheels/tires now it handles like carp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRMB, Feb 18, 2016.

1. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I've got a 1963 Ford Galaxie Country Sedan - in great shape. 49k original miles.

It ran and drove great - with the original wheels and tires (215/75r/14) white wall radials.

I recently put on some Torque Thrust wheels with 225/60/15's and now the car handles crazy. It wanders all over the place at low speeds.

It doesn't pull just to one side or the other - it seems to wander around.

I've checked everything I can think of - I've rebuild the idler arm bushing, which was bad - did an alignment. Everything checks out.

I've had it at 2 separate mechanics - both of which can't find anything.

What do you guys think??

Thanks!

[​IMG]

recently did a bunch of stuff to the engine and exhaust, too.

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

well are the tires bigger than the originals?
    Cool Wagon, who's headers did you use?

3. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

The wheels are slightly bigger - 15" instead of 14". Tires are slightly wider - 225 instead of 215.

Went with sanderson shorty's. I think Sanderson is having quality issues. Took two pairs before I got a pair without leaks, and still had to have the flanges machined flat.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I think wider will show up poorer handling, has for me in the past, I'm sure something has rotted away on the old girl. Are they new tires?
    I broke 2 sets of Sanderson on a SBC Jag Never again.
    Thanks

5. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I bought the wheels and tires used from frank at deadend magazine. They are in great condition. Wheels have are almost new - and tires are 85%.

6. Is the offset and backspacing on the new wheels different than the old ones?

loudbang likes this.
  7. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

If those tires came off a wreck, I'll bet that they have a groove or a flat spot wore into them from their final slide, or the belts were damaged by the force of a collision. Also check the rims very closely for runout due to a bent wheel. And handling like carp? I dunno but that just sounds fishy to me...

8. Some things to consider if you offset is different from stock...

High (-) offset(pushes the wheel out board) and affects the scrub radius, modern cars are designed to have zero or slightly negative scrub radius to make steering react nicely to road inputs. push the wheel outboard and scrub radius becomes (+) which does very bad things to steering response. Scrub radius will give you bump steer in one-wheel bumps For high-speed stability in the presence of road disturbances, zero or slight negative scrub radius is desirable (negative is outside the wheel center plane)
    Braking forces introduce steer torques proportional to the scrub radius.

9. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

not off a wreck and they're in great condition. But yah, carp is fishy.

montero likes this.
  10. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Thanks That's good info.

This wandering effect is really just when going straight - or atleast is happens when going straight - not just when turning.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Did you have the new wheels and tires balanced, or just bolt them on? A lot of what you are describing would have been discovered on a balancing machine before you ever hit the road. Just wondering... Gary

flatford39 likes this.
  12. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my non hamb friendly 68 impala wagon with non stock 15s and wide radials wander too. i just put up with it and it's no feeling steering. at least it looks cool.

13. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

This ain't no disco.

This feels like the front end is falling off or something really bad is going on. When it had tall and skinny white walls I had no road feel. This aint that.

14. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

yep, had them balanced.

15. I've ran into radial tires that take a 'set' as to rotation direction (and that doesn't include tires marked for specific rotation) when they're run for enough distance to wear, if you try to run them 'backwards' from how they've been run, you'll get this bad handling. Balancing won't help, re-rotating back to their original position won't help if you run them very far 'wrong', I've was told that having the tires 'trued' might help. Saw this as a mechanic when radials became popular on certain tire brands, and I ended up throwing away a 60% wear left set of BF Goodriches on my DD after doing a 'conventional' rotation on them for just this reason. Goodrich changed their rotation recommendation shortly after I replaced mine. Doesn't seem to be an issue with bias-ply, only radials... and only some of those.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Lebowski likes this.
  16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Really a basic question, but were the original tires radials, and are the new set also redials ????

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can tell which way a tire has rotated by running your hand over the tread or examining it closely. The tread will feel smooth in one direction, jagged in the other. If you look real close you can see the raised edge on one side of the tread blocks. Check the tires on your daily driver first, once you get the idea you will recognize it immediately.

loudbang and BrandonB like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Try different air pressure?

yruhot likes this.
  19. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

These are directional tires - so they only go one direction.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  20. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

I might crank it up and see what happens.

Thankfully everything you guys are telling me - is this shouldnt be happening - and the input you're all giving me is look for relatively minor stuff.

I was worried about some severe incapatiblity - which it doesnt sound like anyone is suggesting.

Thanks!

21. LBCD

LBCD

Look into the Hunter road force balance..it puts a load on the tire when balancing it. It does work and eliminates wandering and shimmy.

yruhot likes this.
  22. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Thanks! Googlin now!

23. badshifter

badshifter

If the rims are too narrow for the tires, the side walls flex and the car will wander just like you describe. It's especially noticeable if that's the issue if the rear kind of wanders around. Balance won't make it do what your describing, or you'd be describing a shake or steering wheel vibrating.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the new wheel/tire set up looks right for such a large ride. check into what lbcd suggested above. can also look into tire truing / tire shaving at places like Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley, Custom Alignment in Mountain View, or others.

25. Aha!! Bet one or more tires has a loose or crooked belt.

Ben

bobss396 likes this.
  26. You might try replacing one wheel/tire at a time with one you took off and see what happens.

Ben

27. 58custom

58custom

Have you had the toe checked?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  28. are the rims sitting flat against the hubs , center hole on rim fitting over the hubs properly???

clem likes this.
  29. yruhot

yruhot

The hunter works prettty good. Had some problems and cured them. When you say they are directional is there an arrow on the side indicating which way they should be going around? Also for shits and grins you could try maybe putting the fronts back on and seeing if problem continued. if not try replacing the rears with old set and see what happens. Just trying to narrow it down.yruhot

30. yruhot

yruhot

Sorry for your problem but the car is pretty cool. I like.