Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical a "B" engine and trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by verde742, Feb 18, 2016.

1. verde742

verde742

Anybody educate me: A Model B engine with a cracked block that WAS RUNNING,
    how much is it worth, also, how much would the rebuilt trans be worth?

I am told the block can be welded up, I am considering buying both items from a friend and he says: make me an offer, I said FRIENDS DON'T MAKE FRIENDS MAKE OFFERS. I hate that kind of situation..
    Tell me what you want for the Darn THINGS and I will tell you if I still want them..

any knowledgeable price area will be appreciated.. thanks Guys..

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

3. How do you know the block is cracked? Have you seen the crack? Has the person that told you the block can be welded up seen it and is he the person that is going to be doing the work. How about taking pictures and posting them and if you haven't already done so show them to someone that will be doing the work, good for a ROM estimate and maybe a "don't buy" recommendation (they will probably want to see it before they give you a firm estimate)? You said it was running, are you saying you could fix the crack and install it? Was it rebuilt recently and how far is it overbored and how far is the crank turned? Who did the rebuild? What cam? Balanced? What accessories come with the block? Is it a B transmission? Who rebuilt the transmission and what gears did they use (and did they know what they were doing or were they just good with a spray can of paint)? All new bearings? Anything else you know about the engine/transmission that would affect their value? Probably worth something between scrap metal and $2000. What do you plan to put them in? This is a good post for fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  4. verde742

verde742

The guy that magnaflux the block, said it wasn't worth much, It had all the accessories and was a driver, without much power, my friend took it to a well known Model A person, he couldn't get it running to satisfaction, so they checked compression, pulled head, and everything seemed to go downhill from there. Before that, trans was noisy, out it came totally inspected replaced some bearings & "thrust" washer (s) and back in it went, Builder says its beautiful, then the doesn't run good "senerio".:( Would the "B' TRANS FIT MY MODEL A? Is is a bolt in, is it a better trans, or should I pursue a "39 Ford trans.?
    Engine sets on pallet, with leaky tarp over it, in Az. Trans is under work bench.

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'Block is cracked' is a pretty broad statement. It depends on where it is cracked as if it can be repaired, becomes a candidate for an OHV conversion or coffee table base.
    What is the cylinder bore size? Does it have a counterbalanced crank? These determine 'value' too but bottom line it is like anything else, condition, condition, condition....
    The B transmission fits in a Model A, just not coupled to an A engine

6. The B trans will fit the Model A engine if you use a Model B flywheel housing. The Model B flywheel housing only covers the top of the flywheel (the B engine pan covered the lower half), you would need to make something to cover the bottom half. The B trans is better than the A trans because it has syncros but the syncros got better as time went on with the ’39 being the best design. The ’39 gears will go into the Model B case but they a little tight and require some that knows what they are doing to assemble the transmission. The Model A trans mounted the brake and clutch pedals and the wishbone, you would need to figure out how to mount these. The kit for the ’39 trans has these brackets that might work with a Model B, you need to ask the vender. (Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 among others) You can’t run the Model A flywheel with the Model B trans unless the flywheel has been cut down (it will rub). Since you don’t have the B trans I think I would look for a ’39 and buy the kit to install it.

Charlie Stephens

7. yruhot

yruhot

Ive seen several cracked blocks in our model A club and seeing how the cooling system on an A in non pressurized Ive (dont laugh) seen some of them repaired with jb weld. I said dont laugh. Been running for years. I sold my old 3 speed to a fellow club member for like $175.00. I just put in a t-5 borg warner and he needed the tranny. So I think he got a pretty good buy. I have a stock A eng and it runs good as of like 6 months ago I think it worth about $450.00. No cracks that I know of, has t-5 adapter plate on trans. 6 volt alternator. yruhot