Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Lincoln Capri Power Steering Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Helge71, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Using the search did not bring any definite answers, so before I start rebuidling the huge and leaking stock power steering system of my '54 Lincoln Capri, I would like to learn whether there are any other power steering options/conversions for the '54 Lincoln? Since the car will become/already is a road race Lincoln, I am not too concerned about stock looks of the system but would like to have good performance and hopefully readily available parts...

Thanks for all ideas!

2. skratch

skratch

Scotts hot rods builds custom crossmembers for the particular car. System is nice clean and strong.

leadsled likes this.
  3. gatz

gatz

Looked in Motors Repair Manual 1956 for some info on the PS unit used on the 54 Lincolns.
    It shows that it's a "Saginaw Offset" unit.

If you want to retain stock, there were other cars of that vintage that used the same unit; although there's probably some differences.

Here's a list of them.

Buick 52-55
    Cadillac 52-55
    Chev 52-54
    Olds 52-55
    Pontiac 53-55
    &
    Stude 53-56

As for conversions... there's always the ubiquitous FoMoCo slave-valve & cylinder type, but these always seem to develop leaks too.
    Next thought would be to use the PS unit from 55-57 Lincolns which uses an inline type of Saginaw gear, but may require some work. Those are hardy units.

Toby Schelin likes this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you want "EASY" : '52-'54 Capri & Cosmopolitan shared ALL running gear, so any of them are direct 'bolt-in' replacement. My '52 is std steering & my 105lb/4'-11" late wife enjoyed driving it, although she did say parking wasn't the easiest, but not impossible. If you do go 'std' you gain more room in the engine compartment, & in a 'RR Lincoln", that very annoying source of leaks is 'no-more'! Another thought: "Remember; in a race car :If it ain't there, it can't break, or otherwise go wrong!!" Also it's much easier to reach the rear spark plug on the driver's side(have you found the rear spark plug access hole behind the left front tire when you crank the wheels to the right? LOL!) You have the 12in brakes, which, for drum brakes, are very good, as they are hard to 'fade', even when driven 'hard'! Even with a nearly 'stock' engine you'll find this a 'fun' car to drive, & many 'modern' car drivers will insist that you've 'done something to the motor'. Well-adjusted brakes, new suspension bushings, & good Heavy Duty shock absorbers make a world of difference!! I sincerely hope you enjoy your '54 as much as I've enjoyed my '52!!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Chris Pellerin and Toby Schelin like this.

5. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the great tips so far! The idea of fitting the stock manual steering has a certain appeal. Less weight, more space and the car will not be driven very much in the city, so manoeuvering in tight spaces is not the main problem...
    However finding a stock manual steering system over here might be pretty difficult...the cars are very rare here and all parts have to be ordered from the U.S. I asume I will need the steering gear itself, but what other parts would be necessary for conversion to std manual steering?

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I recommend approaching a US used parts vendor to buy a used(& guaranteed to be "good") complete std. steering column with wire harness(minus the steering wheel & gear shift-arm for ease of shipping) & replace it as a unit : It's a fairly simple & straight-forward bolt/unbolt of approximately a couple of hours. I know the shipping won't be inexpensive, but the availability of units will be much higher. Re-use your original neutral-safety switch & the wire harness should be 'good-to-go'. I hope this helps!!

7. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

8. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have meanwhile aquired a nice '54 Lincoln manual steering setup that I will install in my car...As mentioned above it will take care of the leaking and will also give a lot more room in the engine bay...
    I am still mainly in the parts collecting stage. Once I start working on the car in earnest I will post a small build thread here, so that interested members can follow the progress...

Toby Schelin likes this.
  9. Toby Schelin

Toby Schelin
    from Montana

Yes, please keep us up to date with progress and photos, I am a lucky new owner of a 1954 Lincoln 2 door sport coupe also, I'm reading everything I can get my eyes on about these awesome cars and the Y Blocks that came in them. My Lincoln is all completely original, and I even have the 317 motor for it, it's in pieces, but it's all there, I think:) Lincoln12.JPG lincoln13.JPG lincoln13.JPG

Chris Pellerin likes this.
  10. Jeeman04

Jeeman04

Finally building 54 Lincoln but going for 50's custom look. Had this car for about 18 years stored in my shop. As I go along I will have numerous stock parts that won't be going back on the car. Let me know what you might need as you build your car I will see what I can turn loose.

Helge71 likes this.
  11. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, good to know... My Lincoln is slowly coming back together (interrupted by too many other projects) and I hope to have it completed during the comning winter season... Should I need some more stock parts I will contact you!

12. I have a spare, that has always been my plan.