Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Gaffiti on TCM now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Feb 28, 2006.

1. We've all seen it a hundred times, but I can't resist. Turner Classic Movies.
    Mythbusters attempted to re-create scene where police car loses its rear axle. They couldn't make it happen!! Said it would have been bullshit in real life.:eek:
    JT

2. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Thanks for letting us know!!

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm watching it. My DVD is scratched.

4. wz56km

wz56km

The Pharaohs car started my facination with fat fendered sleds...

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I just watched it. Even though I watch that movie all the time since I own it. I still catching myself watching it when its on TV. Its such a cool movie. It always puts me in a good mood.

6. KCRodder

KCRodder

Isn't a myth a story with no proveable basis. He said she said someone she knew did, something, but no one ever saw it in person. Pop Rocks and Coke is a myth because no one ever saw another person explode from eating the two. But notice they have yet to feed a goose an alka-seltzer.

The cop car in the movie can't be a myth. If you can make it happen, it can't be a myth. They did it in the movie, you've seen it. So it can't be a myth. Have you seen the way the cops drive these days? Tell me you wrapped a cable around one of their axles they wouldn't rip it out.

Somone needs to myth bust the MythBusters.... ooo, lets see what happens if we put a fork in a microwave.... gimmie a break :rolleyes:

7. the problem with the Myth Busters deal was that they used a '90's something Crown Vic cop car, not a '61 Ford, as in the movie. Leaf spring rear suspension has different failure potential than coil spring/ trailing arm suspension. Civilian Dorks. They should have called the H.A.M.B for technical advice.

8. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I just had Paul Lamont sat with me for breakfast last Sunday at a resteraunt when i was at a car show in Iowa.He's a nice guy to chat with. Guess i need to watch the DVD again now...lol

9. Kaucher

Kaucher

I use to work with a guy who was about 10 years older than me, and he grew up with George Lucas in Modesto, and said that really happened in Modesto when he and George were in High School.

They had nothing to do with it, but it did happen according to him. Whether it did or didn't it's still one of my favorite scenes in the movie.KK

10. Trucks_69

Trucks_69

heh... funny thing i just watched it yesterday morning... didn't catch it on TCM tho... i'm always quoting the movie and it gets me in the mood for crusing... and going out and having fun

another movie that works... is Hollywood Knights... IMO it's a lil cooler than American Graffiti... but yea... 2 REAL good movies there!

11. Kaucher

Kaucher

Hollywood Knights is good, but there are so many period mistakes made. It's supposed to be 1965, and there's car in there with white letter tires and Centerline wheels, There's Moroso valve covers on the '57 Project X Chevy.

They even screwed up on the music playing California Dreaming that didn't even reach the charts til Spring of '67. I guess I'm knitpicky about that stuff.

One very cool thing about that movie is the Cobra in that movie is a real 427 S/C only it has a S.O.H.C 427 under the hood, one of two special ordered and built by Shelby. KK

12. Trucks_69

Trucks_69

hehe... yea and when they unvail the custom 40ford to "jimmy shine" one of they guys calls the color of the car "tony danza yellow" LOL

still that movie is freakin' awsome

13. John B

John B

Actually the dude called it "Tony Nancy Yellow" and that dude was Tony Nancy.

From www.roadsters.com

"Tony Nancy

When thinking back to the cars that knocked me out the most in the Sixties, I kept thinking of Tony Nancy's incredible dragsters. No, they weren't "customs". But the race cars Nancy designed and built featured innovative engineering and great workmanship. They were works of art that need to be included in any documentation of the pioneers of customizing."

14. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

All joking aside, Paul Lemat should have won an oscar for that movie, along with Candy Clark and Toad(sorry I can't remember his name).

15. Big Dad

Big Dad

Charles Martin Smith as Toad
    When the movie came out, we drove in a blizzard to see it .. next night
    we went again , roads were real bad .. crazy kids --Never get tired of seeing it
    More or less .. it put street rods back in the car scene, this was right after
    smog era, gas crunch times ..

16. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

What idiots. I would have thought it was obvious to anyone that you can't rip out the rear of a 90s Crown Vic.

But the back axle falling off was how we lost both our 60s wagons back in the seventies. The spring hangers just rusted out.
    Ed

17. Trucks_69

Trucks_69

oh hehe.... my bad :D well now i just have another reason to watch it again.... thanx ;)

18. Kaucher

Kaucher

Charles Martin Smith. KK

19. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

One of my favs. I play my VCR version in the garage while I am working sometimes just to listen to the music. I got the special edition two DVD set with more american grafiti but haven't watched it yet. I haven't seen that one in a long time but from what I remember it was not near as good.

20. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

My favorite part is the street racing with the 55 stop light to stop light. That was bad ass. Too close to call but the 55 runs the next light, shows the good guy, vs bad. Either way great movie I watch it a lot.

21. KCRodder

KCRodder

That "Bad Assed '55" doing a one wheel peel as it pulled away from Toad always stuck me as kind of funny.

22. dr_amx

dr_amx

I watched it last night on tcm. I thought it was a 63' not a 61' but I have been wrong before. Was it just me or was that 55' a one wheel wonder when he takes off after talking to toad only one wheel is smokin'.

23. sneakyPete

sneakyPete
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah Mythbusters really blew it on that one- I was yelling and throwin stuff at the TV. Makes you wonder how much other stuff they get wrong. "We" picked up on something car-specific, that the rest of the world would not pick out. On the other hand, I don't know that much about physics or chemistry, so......?? Busted!

24. Buckle

Buckle

I do the same exact thing, I listen to the movie and can picture the scenes while I'm working. Ocassionally I will pause working at a scene that I want to watch. I didn't really like More American Graffiti very much.

25. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

your right,more americans not that good,not enough cruisin and rod stuff.

I got the soundtrack on cd,cassette and album!!!I could hook you up with a copy.they still sell cd at music stores for 15 bucks.oh yeh got the dvd and vcr tape,and a recorded from tv vcr tape too,from when I was a kid.:cool:

26. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

They used three diffrent 55's during the makeing of Graffiti.

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...but only one was the main driver, that being the same car from 2LBT. Weren't the other two only used in the crash sequence?

Maybe the posi was just trashed...or maybe they had to swap centers out so Harrison Ford wouldn't spin it around and kill himself!
    He's no James Taylor drivin' ya know!!! LOL

28. 64deville

64deville

My favorite scene is when there driving out to Paradise Road for the drag race. A line of 50's cars, headlights on, almost dawn, and Booker T and the MG's "Green Onions" in the background.

29. Trucks_69

Trucks_69

yea... brings a tear to the eye huh?!