Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods looking for Black old school enamel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.N.D., Feb 17, 2016.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Can you still buy old slow drying gloss black enamel for painting a frame

That paint just flowed out so smooth

Hoping I can find some somewhere

Thanks, DND

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Alkyd enamel is what you are asking for but the newest enamels flow just as well.

3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

John do they come in a single stage as I don't want any clear coat stuff

Also can you recommend a good brand or two

Thanks, DND

4. DuPont still sells one shot enamel. No hardener or catalyst, no top coat, primer and paint and forget it. I don't remember the number but you can get it from NAPA here.

willbe likes this.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Rustoleum 7777, is satin black, I use that on everything as a finish coat, I'm a satin man myself, I also use a Dupont off brand Nason, they have s fleet line called speed dry I think(orange label) that stuff is the $#!+ !

6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys as that is what i'am looking for, prime it shoot it and forget it ' done deal '

7. 51box

51box
    from MA

Nason Ful-Thane is single stage tough as nails and looks great. You can buy a gallon of black with catalyst and reducer for under $200.

8. How old school do you want to go? This stuff is very close to Henry's original chassis & Model T body paint...

[​IMG]

9. Larry T

Larry T

I'm guessing 99 and then a suffix is the Dupont "classis" black number. We probably ran through a barrel of 99L (laquer) and 99A (Centari/acrylic enamel) back in the 60's and 70's painting bike frames, fenders, and tanks.

10. Centari is still available.

11. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

12. Yep, I can remember hitting the frame with enamel and the fenders and tanks with lacquer on bikes that got ridden more then looked at. For some reason the enamel was more durable in our minds.

We have a tendency to do the same with our hot rods, the best that money can buy on the sheet metal and whatever we can throw at our chassis. LOL

volvobrynk and Larry T like this.
  13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Well I got the latest skinny as DuPont sold the paints to Nason who still makes the slow dry classic black, it is now Nason 99-IC

Just hope I can buy it here in California, as it mite be on the bad guy list

Least i'am getting closer

DND

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep the black is going on a new chrome-moly frame to build up a XR 750 flat tracker for the street, with candy red tank and rear seat fender combo

He was going to powder-coat the frame and I said no - no - no you got to have it done in real paint, as this is going to be a first class neat ride

DND

15. Larry T

Larry T

I still like Centari (or acrylic enamel) with hardener added. It's getting hard to find a painter around here that will shoot anything other than color coat/clear coat. And most of my painters that I depended on in the 70's aren't with us anymore (RIP).

I've made some friends on here that I'd love to have do some work, pretty long drive to reach any of them though.

16. aaggie

aaggie

I missed a chance a few years ago to pick up an XR750 that was made into a café racer, I still kick myself for letting it get away. Have fun with your bike.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Naa its my buddys bike just trying to lend a hand in some of the details, but I did get a chance to ride my other racer friends XR 750 in about 80'
    What a trip as you better have a good grip on the grips when you screw it on, 320 lbs and 95 hp

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

TSC has some that's hard as nails. Perfect for frames.

19. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Just found Van Sickle tractor paint that looks like the right stuff too, need to check it out

BLUDICE what is TSC , is that the brand name ?

Thanks, Don

20. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I painted my car with the Centari 99a. Acrylic Enamel. I wouldn't describe it as tough, I think that's what you are looking for.

21. TSC- Tractor Supply Co.
    Their new enamel supplier is Majic paints. I believe it is an alkyd enamel used with reducer and hardener.
    The more hardener gives it more gloss and durability. It has a re coat window as well.
    It is an industrial tractor and farm paint. Only issue may be lack of UV resistance, but not an issue for a frame.
    Not sure it is direct to metal, they recommend a primer.

blackout78666 likes this.
  22. SimonSez

SimonSez

23. A Boner

A Boner

YES.....Valspar Tractor Paint.....about $35.00 per gallon.

24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I've been using Rust-Oleum high gloss black for many years on my frame,each time I fresh-up redo it,on same rod I built first in 1959. But the cost is now up around $12 a QT. rolling frameA.jpg

Hollywood-East likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be plenty of shiny black enamels out there for industrial use that will spray good and stand up pretty well. Can't blame you on wanting paint on a race car frame as you are always changing something on them.

26. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys for all the info, i'am looking at Valspar & Van Sickle tractor paints

Just prime it - shoot it and forget it, would rather not use any hardner's etc just keep it simple

This is a custom chrome-moly bike framed XR 750, so it goes together once and ride it

Don

27. blackout78666

blackout78666

Use the hardener or the paint will not " dry for weeks". Just a capful per quart should be fine. It's cheap and it works. I paint with and shoot 90% enamels. The hardener was the trick I learned to make life good. Just do it

28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like very wise works to live & spray by, thanks BLACKOUT

blackout78666 likes this.
  29. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use summit racing single stage. sum-lvs300g_oh.jpg sum-lvs300g_oh.jpg 1940 ford coupe july 1 2014 003.JPG lays down nice and easy to spray

AHotRod likes this.
  30. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I was thinking I read that using the hardener upped the toxicity level quite a bit. I still plan on using it.