Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y block rebuild ideas?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldnuts, Feb 13, 2016.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Anyone have any traditional y block hop up ideas? I'm
    Planning on a traditional y block rebuild with so id like to know what's the best way to make a bit more power off what was available when they were new. To start I've got a 64 292, offy 3x2 with 3 94 carbs and a Mallory dual point distributor. What's the best heads, crank, pistons, bore size, rods ect? Thanks for the help

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

The offy tri-power manifold is the worst for performance of all the after-market manifolds, according to tests that Ted Eaton has done. It does seem that they are very plentiful though, and other Y-block manifolds seem hard to come by. That being said I have one on my '30 coupe, It has the "wow" factor. I am going to be replacing the eng. this summer with a 2x4 set-up. we will see now that works.----Jim note: the tri-power manifold IS better than the stock 2bbl carb and manifold

oldnuts likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You might like this, I have posted it before, it's the video along with some info on the Y Block that Tim built for my RPU.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

With a 64 engine you have most of the good stuff except cylinder heads the best heads came out from 57-59.

oldnuts likes this.
  7. j3harleys

j3harleys

DON'T !!! use any Chinese parts

oldnuts likes this.
  8. My first 2 Model A's had y-blocks, always like those engines, wanna do one more Model A build, look'in for a coupe, like to use a y-block.

oldnuts likes this.
  9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Best factory heads are the "113" casting number heads. I have used the Offy 3X2 on y blocks before and I much prefer the late factory (B suffix) 4 barrel intake or the factory 2X4 intake .More power and better driveability.John Mummert has any Y speed parts you would want up to and including aluminum heads.

oldnuts likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Y-blocksforever.com. and have some fun. Don't expect earth shattering horse power but 300+ with it's torque will make you smile even without the 57 heads.

oldnuts likes this.
  11. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

oldnuts likes this.
  12. Retro61

Retro61

If your planning on a 3 Deuce setup, go with the Edelbrock 573. Ports match the Heads better. Best Intake to run.

oldnuts likes this.
  13. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

That's for the help guys.