Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 241 Hemi or SBC 265

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesd1502, Feb 14, 2016.

1. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

so, now moving on to my 29 roadster porject, on deuce rails...im really torn on which power plant to run???..I have most everthing to run a rebuilt 241 hemi, 3x2 intake etc but minus the $$$ wilcap adapter to mate the a833 i have..I also came acorss a smokin deal on rebuilt 1956 265 sbc with vette valve covers and quad barrl intake. for the 265 i would need to hunt down a 3x2 set up and a manual trans and a few other lil things to get it going.....what do you guys think?

2. when the flies are unzipped and the ruler comes out the hemi is always bigger. you asked.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm a small block chevy guy but if I had the $$$ to do the Hemi there would be no choice. Most people would not
    know a 265 from a 350 but everyone knows an early Hemi.

loudbang, 40fordtudor and George like this.
  4. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

The hemi is the choice to make.

40fordtudor and Hnstray like this.

5. The Hemi is the obvious choice if you want to stand apart from the belly button crowd. Before the SBC, the Flattie was the belly button. Any post-war Rodder who wanted something different (or just MORE!) would opt for a Caddy, Olds, or Hemi. Go for the gusto and don't look back!

6. If you want to get around reliably and not be too conspicuous........the Chevy
    If you want to be cool and stand out and be noticed....... the Dodge

40fordtudor and 270dodge like this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Get both engines and use one on your current project and save the other one for a later project.

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  8. Arominus

Arominus

Rock that hemi, the adapter is likely cheaper than a trans for the 265.

loudbang, 40fordtudor and Hnstray like this.
  9. No replacement for displacement... 265

Torkwrench and chopper99 like this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

Aren't those Wilcap adapters like $700? Either of those engines would make a great hot rod powerplant.

If money is no problem, I'd do the Hemi. But if the budget is tight, the 265 will be thousands cheaper. You can buy a good Chevy 3 speed stick trans with bellhousing and a shifter around here for $200, and there is a specific tripower intake for 265 small port heads that is fairly common and very affordable. I'd rather have a 265 powered car on the street than an unfinished Hemi project for lack of funds.

traffic61 and leadfootloon like this.
  11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

HEMI HEMI HEMI

40fordtudor likes this.
  12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Perhaps this will persuade your decision...

image.jpg

13. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I put a want ad on Craigslist in the Bay Area, (Chrysler/Dodge/Desoto Hemi adaptor) and a nice gent called 3 nights later.
    He said he had one in his storage, thought it went from Hemi to LaSalle, (but he said there were available plate adaptors to cross it to Ford/Chevy)
    I said it would be fine, 'maybe I could find a plate adaptor to fit'...
    He said he'd LIKE to get $75, so I said I'd send my son over; he lived in San Francisco then. Next day my #4 son, Tory, went to his house and picked it up, $75 cash.
    Tory drove the 140 miles to Atwater that weekend to deliver it, I handed him $150...He naturally refused any more than the $75, but I made him take it.
    Adaptor is original, NEVER used! It was stored when the man bought it, in 1958.
    Good score, as I have LaSalles. This adaptor goes behind my 276 Desoto.
    The adaptor behind my 354 Chrysler is a 2-piece to '32-'48 Ford. There's an Offie bell-type 'Hogshead' behind that that bolts to my LaSalle. I call it a 'short stack'...

So, advertise on Craigslist! And in the local newspaper. There's a guy out there that is NOT on the HAMB, that would see $$ in a want ad for that old adaptor he's got that he abandoned the project on years ago.
    Quincy Automotive in L.A. used to sell used parts on consignment. I traveled down there often, from Santa Clara. One weekend I dropped by, and there was a '37 LaSalle with its 40" long stick, the tag said $50. And the owner was in SANTA CLARA!
    I paid Quincy, and hauled it home. Stopped by the guy's house and bought a steel flywheel, clutch, and lots of other stuff, 10 cents on the dollar...

Advertise. It pays!
    Oh...on another note, my ol' pal Lester gave me a nice running 283 with Powr-Pak heads, and I found a set of rings, rod & main bearings on Craigslist...all standard, (I have a couple of Std. cranks, so no sweat)
    I have a 3X2 intake, with Rochesters for it...and some Cal Custom valve covers, Mallory Marine dist., (with crab cap!)
    Collecting parts for this Chevy was cheap, but not free.
    Thank goodness I am a 'coveter'...don't throw anything away.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Blues4U, brad2v, traffic61 and 2 others like this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

See that adapter, see that Chevrolet bellhousing, why not set it up to do BOTH? The HEMI is the shocking choice, the SBC the dependable one. If and when the HEMI needs a break, the SBC can take it's place IF you do it like Kirk. If it were up to me, because I know very little about the HEMI and lots about the SBC, I would probably go with the 265 SBC. I do think the plug wire covers on the HEMI need to be left off, just for the more visual impact.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I think the 241 has a cool factor! I do like SBC's but there are a lot of them out there.

40fordtudor likes this.
  17. Big is always better!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Actually when I wanted to put a Chevy 4 speed behind my Hemi, I used a Chevy blow shield. Plenty of room to drill it for the Hemi bolt pattern. depth seemed fine. Worked fine for me. I still have the blow shield, flywheel and starter.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

A 241 we rebuilt after our Tuesday night mens hot rod bible study.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Like @jetnow1 said most all small block Chevys look alike and you'd have to get close enough to see the staggered valve cover bolt holes to see it's a 265 which most people won't do when they see another s.b.c.

21. Reds 29

Reds 29

Put the hemi in it. We finished putting a 241 hemi in a truck we originally had put a small block chevy in, last August. We took it to a local cruise night. The visual impact was great, everyones seen a SBC, few have seen a baby hemi. It also has a lot more torque than the SBC. We used the SBC transmission, and could switch back if we had to.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You SBC zealots are either very insecure about your choice when confronted (threatened ?) with rational alternative engines .....OR.....you won't be satisfied until 100% of modified vehicles have SBC engines, versus the approximately 85% now so powered. Talk about koolaide drinkers! :D

Ray

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

What trans and or adapter did you use? I want to run 3 pedals in my roadster

24. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

Thanks for all the input fellas. May just run the Hemi and keep the 265 for another project or a back up engine.

loudbang likes this.
  25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The only way a SBC could even approach the Hemi's "COOL FACTOR" would be if you put a set of Moser heads on it(kind of like Arduns on a flattie!)

26. 73RR

73RR

Shop around for the trans adapter. There are several options and none should be $700 IMHO.
    For the A-833 you obviously will need a Mopar small block bell...you can sort out the bearing retainer when you have the bell and trans together on the bench. For this bell housing you only need a block adapter.
    As to flywheel, you will have choices based on which bell you use: either the 130 tooth or the 143 tooth ...but wait...if you use the later-big bell then the 146 tooth wheel (instead of the 143) can be used with some minor mods (see my web site). If you want to use all early-period kinda parts then there is also an oem bell from pre-62 applications that can be used (again, see my web site).
    The 146 tooth wheel bolts direct to the crank flange. The 130 and the 143 will require a flange adapter.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'd go with the 265. Especially since it's a 56 engine. If it was a 55 engine, with out a full flow oil filter, I'd go with the Hemi. If it was any year 350, I'd either go with the Hemi, or get a 265 or 283.

28. Well the truth be known built comparatively the 265 will probably out run the red ram, the car will probably handle better with the small block and it wouldn't take much to find a transmission to go behind it.

I am a big fan of the small block but the little hemi is cool and if I had one ready to fly I would use it before I would go looking for another motor. Bite the bullet and find yourself an adapter and run it, that is what I would do and like I said, I prefer the little motor that could above most others.

Torkwrench and Hollywood-East like this.
  29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Hemi.................that is all.