Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gardner Field Drag Racing - The other Bakersfield track

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roughneck424, Feb 15, 2016.

1. roughneck424

roughneck424

Anyone old enough to remember drag racing at Gardner Field ? It too was an old WWII pilot training center. Jack Benny and Bob Hope even did USO shows there.
    After the war all the buildings were removed and the runway was used as a drag strip. Kinda of familiar for central cal being Famoso and Eagle Field share the same story.
    Nothing left at Gardner Field, all cotton fields now. It was south and west of Bakersfield.
    Anyway I know Chrisman was running the Sidewinder there and TV Tommy ran there as well.
    This all happened in 1958 -60. The Smokers even took there timing equipment out there.
    Would love to see some pictures from that venue

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Gardner Army Field, SE of Taft. would like to hear more on this. The Smokers ran FAMOSO starting in 1951 with the US Fuel & Gas Championship. in '59 Gartlis VS Chrisman at FAMOSO was the start of the March Meet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. roughneck424

roughneck424

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow! Thanks for posting

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

The greatest weekend entertainment a guy could experience back in the day......well almost!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

this October will be the Silver Anniversary of the California Hot Rod Reunion at FAMOSO. would be great to see these articles, and more, on display there.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting history. See some names in there that I saw run at various strips around the valley. Lou Toschi's Pontiac rail from Madera and Petroff's C/G 55 Chevy from Selma/Easton area.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like one runway still exists as Taft-Kern County Airport. Runway 25 seems to be open, the opposite running runway is "X'd" out (NO LAND); runways have 2 directions of landings/takeoffs, so what appears to be a single direction runway, is actually two, one in each direction. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. roughneck424

roughneck424

I think you are referring to the Taft Airport which still operates right in Taft. Sky Divers every weekend. Gardner-field was approx 12 miles outside of Taft. East out on Gardner field Rd. Close to the corner of Basic School Rd and Cadet Rd.

11. roughneck424

roughneck424

Going to get to talk to a Gardner Field Racer this weekend. Received an invite to my old High School Shop teachers Birthday Party. I have not seen him in 35 years. Going to drive my 55 Chevy Car there. Much like the one I had back then. Also going to take one the above news paper articles printed out large. For it has his name ion print. Setting a record. Stock Class 47 Plymouth at 71MPH !!. I knew he was a cool cat while I was in school, driving cool cars. pinstriper and such. He never mentioned drag racing. :)

12. roughneck424

roughneck424