Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 427 sohc cammer into a 1964 fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sidoiler, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Sidoiler

Sidoiler

hi, I got a 1964 fairlane that I want to put a 427 sohc into. The car currently has a 427 high riser with a motor and mid plate with a c6. I also did the crites Shock tower conversion years ago. It looks like I need about another 3" on each side. I hope to have enough room to keep the towers and drag link front end. The question I have is, anyone have experience doing this. I would like to get some ideas before I start. Thank you

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I do not think you will make it. I have a 429/ 460 in my 64 Fairlane.. I went with a Heitz front susp , and everything under the hood is still tight.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

• An FE cammer is 32" wide and 34" long; a standard FE is 27" wide and 32" long so a cammer is longer and wider, that's an additional 5" in width without exhausts;
    • An FE cammer is 30" in height whilst an FE is 29" tall; and
    • An FE cammer weighs 680lbs compared to a 427FE at 659lbs with aluminum intake, single 4BBL, long tube cast iron headers, complete ignition, starter, alternator, 28 pound flywheel, water pump, fan, belts pulleys and fuel pump.
    This is an FE in a 64 Fairlane with Crites tower kit, pretty close with headers presumably like yours.

upload_2016-2-16_13-33-5.png
    Fe 64 Fairlane.JPG

Here's a cammer in a 64, no shock towers with a MII F/E
    427 cammer.jpg

Here's an original Dearborn Steel conversion on a Thunderbolt to fit the 427FE engine. Pretty agricultural!
    005-1964-ford-thunderbolt-paint-shock-tower-motor-mount.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    belair likes this.
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My nephew installed a kit in a '65 Falcon that did away with the shock towers altogether and opened up enough room for a subdivision. I know you want to keep the towers but if you want that camper in there...

5. Sidoiler

Sidoiler

I would like to figure out a way to keep the towers and old drag link front end. Nothing looks as good as the front view of the car with the front sump oil pan and headers wrapping around the front end. The cammer head and high riser head header flange/location is pretty close, most of the width addition is above the header flange. I was thinking something like the modifications that they did on the boss 429 mustangs. Below is a quick photo of my pond cammer heads and my 64 fairlane with dove highriser heads installed. Thanks image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Boss 429 tower (Installed) compared to OEM tower. Tower is moved out with top mounting recessed. Upper control arms may need to be modified to suit? Note wrap around bracing for upper control arm to reinforce tower.. You need clearance to remove the rocker covers
    [​IMG]
    Also additional tower bracing on tower rears. A lot of weight and those Fairlanes were only designed for SBF.
    Boss 429-towers.jpg Boss 429 towers.jpg

Rear of Boss tower showing additional reinforcement due to tower being leaned over from OEM position. Boss- 429-towers.jpg

Dog_Patch likes this.
  7. Sidoiler

Sidoiler

Hi Mgtstump, great pics that is what I was looking for. I was thinking of starting with the boss towers and modifying them. I don't mind all the reforcement under the fender, it's got a full frame and ladder bars now. I was thinking of running a bar off the cage but inside the inner finder to tie into the tower the down to the front frame. The car is my old drag car that for the last few years has been more street than drag. Do you by any chance now what the clearance was on that fairlane with the 429 boss towers. Thank you

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sorry I've no additional info that could help :( Wish I did. No measurements.

Here's the exhaust port layout, totally different to the FE head in your photo
    [​IMG]

These are Bill COON heads, note the angle and layout of exhaust ports by comparison to the lower standard FE heads with exhaust ports perpendicular to block surface.
    Untitled-TrueColor-04.jpg
    Standard type FE head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cammer exhaust port faces are around 30 degrees off horizontal, normal FE exhaust port faces are at 90 degrees to block surface, ie 45 degrees off horizontal. Cammer has them laid over further so clearance could be an issue in current configuration with towers?

9. RmK57

RmK57

Boss 429 Mustangs also had the upper control arms moved out 1/2" and lowered 1", the lower control arms were moved out also.
    Boss 429's used a specific "kkx" front spindle. You certainly don't want to be hunting down B9
    spindles at 5k and up!

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

One more for you to look at. John Ferdinand used to own this car (I don't know if he still does). Here are a couple shots from a Hot Rod mag article.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. belair

belair

Pretty cool ($) stuff. Awesome engines.

12. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Hey, I painted that white '64 a number of years ago for the builder/friend here in MI.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. Sidoiler

Sidoiler

That makes sense. I already run a custom tube a-arm and lower control already at the factory locations and spec, I was thinking that I could shorten then move out. There is no motor mounts, just front and back motor plates so that should give me some more room. Thanks for the input.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  15. moefuzz

moefuzz

Wow!
    Some people should not be allowed to pick up a welder!

1964-ford-thunderbolt-paint-shock-tower-motor-mount.jpg

16. IIRC, the 'factory' Ford cammer cars used heavily-modified stock suspension with torsion bars instead of springs; they eliminated the shock towers...

17. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I'm not really a fan of the Mustang II suspension. I think the arms are too short for the track width of a mid or full size car. Not really HAMB style, but I'd do a custom suspension based on modified original Fairlane/Mustang geometry.
    The car in this video is very much along the lines I'd look at doing. Coilovers on tubular versions of the original A-arms, with improved camber curve geometry.
    Suspension talk at 8:25

A few screen shots of the front suspension. I think more engine room could be made if needed.
    shock mount.jpg susp.jpg uca.jpg

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have Shoe Spoon...will travel! Love it.

19. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think there is a way to do it without eliminating the shock towers one way or another. With a Cammer under the hood, no one will be looking for the shock towers.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

HRM magazine did a feature on restoration. Can't beat this look with an FE installed in your body
    [​IMG]

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

With where the coil over mount is there is room for a FE or Cammer?[​IMG]

22. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The shock mount would need to be a different design. Tie into the fender more, and not come straight up from the frame rail, but the shock itself should be ok where it is. Make something similar to the original shock tower, but much flatter, narrower, and lower.

23. Tight squeeze, can't wait ti see if it fits.

24. Sidoiler

Sidoiler

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going back and taking a bunch more measurements. I'm thinking that a highly modified 429 boss tower just might work. I already run a custom set of tube a-arms and lower arms that are 64 fairlane spec, so I could redesign them and get maybe a xtra inch on each side. It cant really get any tighter than the high riser is now, at least on the sohc the plugs are on top the head.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016