Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn find 1937 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbag, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go over to You Tube and search: Chevrolet Suspension System In 1938 - Ella73TV ---- knee action = independent suspension. search Chevy of the 40's for their basic disc brake conversion kit. had a '34 Plymouth PE with stock knee action suspension with disc brake kit and road good, running 350/350.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diamond crown speed line....I'll take it off your hands...

3. It's your car to do with as you want, but in that condition, I would be reluctant to cut into it. A bolt in IFS, or dropped axle, built up 235/261 with a 5 speed would be what I would do. Then drive the wheels off it.

mgtstumpy and volvobrynk like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I couldn't have said it any better than this, although I would be willing to go GMC 270-292-302 or the later 250-292 sixes also. Just whichever you find at a deal. I would be sure to get an engine with full pressure oiling, however.
    My '40 Ford has a T-5 and a 3.70 rear gear, and the rear gear gives pep around town plus the 5th gear OD makes interstate cruising a breeze at any speed you want within reason. I have a MII front end and 4 wh.l discs also.

5. zjerry

zjerry

Nice looking 1937 Coupe..

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What Tagman said works well and is an excellent way to go, another although maybe a little harder to come across is the front suspension from a 49-54 Chevy or 53-62 Corvette they unbolt and I believe will almost bolt into that chassis either way it will look stock. As far as engine it is a large engine compartment and in my opinion small blocks look lost in them any BB chevy looks right at home and even a stock 396 would move the car along just fine. Good Luck nice find.

Pat

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  7. "As far as engine it is a large engine compartment and in my opinion small blocks look lost in them any BB chevy looks right at home and even a stock 396 would move the car along just fine."

I was thinking of a 409 myself. :) But having a 327 in-hand and paid for makes it pretty likely that is what will happen.

I agree with the guys who say not to cut the frame for an IFS. Several have suggested bolt-on improvements using later Chevy parts; that's the way I'd go with it.

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I've had my 38 coupe for 42 years now. Started out with the factory straight axle. First thing I did was to put bendix brakes on it. Drove it like that for about 25 years. Put a Heidts mustang 2 kit under it and Hated it. Last year I finally got around to putting the factory straight axle under it and changed to cross steer with a Saginaw 525 steering box. Best move I ever made. Steers like a dream.

kiwijeff, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. any body who takes a MII out and puts a straight axle in, is my hero.:)

10. airbag

airbag

I completely understand the concerns of the FEW on so called ruining a "barnfind", I just wanna give the car more of a late 50's hot rod style, just a little lower and some more power to where I can go wherever I want and can also find parts that are readily available, looking to put a 50's_60's style front suspension wether it be 49-54 chevy or 60's corvette and the mild 327 and 4speed I already have along with a open driveshaft, just not much of a 6 cylinder fan. The parts I remove from the car when I do will be available on here before anywhere else, planning on getting the car running before disassembling it, never know my mind may change and keep it the way it is. Members are asking what my plans are, I tell whats on my mind and get ridiculed.... Really?????

I can delete this thread and never talk about it again on this website, just thought some members on here would enjoy it. I didn't create this thread for me, just always have enjoyed the stories of others and wanted to share my latest find that's all.

kiwijeff, slv63, 60'coupe and 11 others like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

That's the (at least) second comment you have made about being ridiculed.
    No one has ridiculed you, seems you feel that if some one offers a different opinion, you feel like you are being ganged up on.

Lighten the eff up...guys are just expressing their thoughts (the same as you) in an open forum, in a thread you started.

It's no different when someone post a pic of their build that they have worked hard on, and someone critiques what they have done...the majority don't get butt hurt because of a difference of opinion.

Now all that grown up talk aside, if I had a BBC ready to go, and your car..well, I'd be saying "see ya later Stovebolt".

PS...

Interior pics would be nice to see too;)

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I promise to play nice if you promise to swap in that 327/4speed, and keep posting updates.

volvobrynk and saltflats like this.
  13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I like to think of the bragging rights of saying she's got a 327/4-speed/Early Corvette front suspension

14. airbag

airbag

DDDenny and 3wLarry thank you, if I didn't think I could do it tastefully I wouldn't even think about it. I wanna leave the appearance the same just lower the front a little, same or similar wheels (I realize I will need to machine the hubs and whatever rear end I go with to make her wear the stock 6 lug wheels and I am 100% capable of that.

15. airbag

airbag

That's gonna happen, so stay tuned!

kiwijeff, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just rolls off the tongue don't it Larry!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sorry bubba...the wheels/tires on it now do nothing for me...it's screaming for vintage American Racing Torque Thrusts and bias black walls...listen to your car...she'll tell you what she wants

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh yaaa
    Here come da judge, here come da judge!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  19. I'm on board with the 327 and a hand shaker, I would go as far as chrome reverse wheels too.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

keep me laughing bubba, I'm needing it...back in hospital for intense chemo

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We got your back bud.

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Good to seeya back big guy. Try a marathon of these guys for a laugh.

Pat

3wLarry likes this.
  23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

stolen from @DDDenny

THIS trips my trigger...needs to be lowered, but you get the idea... early to mid '60's... dude

[​IMG]

LTM75110, Gotgas, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  24. My 38 Chevy with stock front suspension went over bumps better than my 38 w/Must II

25. That's just silly.

26. slammed

slammed

That color after a weeks worth of buf/wax/glaze ,hard rake & Supremes.

27. SAM_0111s.jpg Here is one for ya... SAM_0111s.jpg

Gotgas, kiwijeff, volvobrynk and 4 others like this.
  28. airbag

airbag

I am on the same page as Larry with what this car needs. I only wanna preserve the dust and barn find look for the time being to get some cool pictures that's all. Car will be washed, have so many side jobs pending the Chevy will be a little bit before the build starts.

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.