Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you paint that? fixtures and taping technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. about as basic as can be. two saw horses, two 2x4's wrapped in paper. DSCF4845.JPG

Johnboy34, MP&C and Sporty45 like this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Here are a few doodads I built. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455147842.084519.jpg
    This one held doors to an OT '68 chev truck.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455147938.705632.jpg
    These are great with a c clamp or vise grip or whatever. Use them to help hold hanging parts still. Can weld things to them also.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455148064.816314.jpg
    This one held a MC fender
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455148134.438295.jpg
    This one I used for some small parts.

MP&C and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Friend of mine came up with this design. They rotate. He sells them.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305189.044371.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305244.693250.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305271.208846.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305284.741231.jpg

nunattax, tb33anda3rd and MP&C like this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built a little roll around cart to paint bodys and such and it works great, just don't get a wheel stuck on a rock when you are rolling a finished car on it...

[​IMG]

-Abone.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is another rare peek inside the top secret Flamedabone Color Application Studio. Note use of only the highest quality fixtures such as saw horses and trash cans.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Uribe, brEad, RHRH3P and 10 others like this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

Lots of great ideas here. When I refinished the oil filter canister for my truck, I assembled it with a piece of artists' foam core between the lid and the body, Opened up a Blacker & Decker Workmate and rested the assembly on that. I sprayed the orange, then flipped the assembly and sprayed the black

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mahty, brEad, jerseyboy and 3 others like this.
  7. cool, two colors, and no down time!

8. TB Cool Thread! Remember these? Those brackets on the ceiling are the ticket.
    frame&motor 004.JPG

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you plan to paint anything the idea is to put paint on ALL surfaces. I made this simple fixture 40 years ago. Model T spindle, Ford hub, an axle shaft welded to Model A trumpet. A few bricks on the base and I'm ready to paint. Bob DSCF1284.JPG DSCF1286.JPG DSCF1287.JPG

10. ohhhhh, you don't just paint the parts that show?:rolleyes::D who would do that?

11. ply wood wrapped in paper and hung from holes in the corners. fenders screwed to the plywood with fender washers. DSCF4855.JPG

12. Anyone have a secret to keep small parts hanging on wires from flying around? My new HVLP seems to blow things around like a hurricane where my old suction gun did not as much. Spraying while trying to hit a moving target is no fun!

Johnboy34 likes this.
    nunattax and Petejoe like this.
  14. O.K. Thanks Bruce.

15. Lots of good ideas here!.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. yruhot

yruhot

Give it a shot, take time sanding.priming blocking and it will make you finished product looks so much better and be more satisfying for you. Paint is like 95% prep and 5% painting I think. Then start color sanding and buffing to really make it pop. But be patient with yourself. Maybe have a friend whos been down this road before look over your sholder wouldnt help with the hi cost of materials.Good luck.I got started by trying to get a quote from a painter on aproject and I told him that I would like to learn someday how to do that and he proceeded to tell me how crazy that was for me to even think about me doing that. Really pissed me off and I went out and bought like $3K worth of compressor, sprayguns DA,airfile etc etc and painted my first Vintage travel trailer. Turned out pretty good I think and I did it my self. I put in every run myself and wet sanded everyone out.lol. But I did it. Even did my first little pin strip project on it. I did a little orange stripe between the colors to break up the lines. I hated it and it amazing how many people come up at shows and say how much they love the little orange stripe I added to the paint, nice touch.lol. You never can tell what people will like, but Yea give it a try and be patient with your self and do it when you got time, dont b in a rush. yruhot

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. fuzzface

fuzzface

a painter that I know brought an old style hospital bed with all kinds of overhead apparatus's that they used for different type of injury support for $15.00 on that auction site years ago. he uses that a lot. Sturdy, you can turn the arms in all different directions, roll it outside, etc. He claims that is still his best jig.

tb33anda3rd and clem like this.
  18. either wire it down to something or keep a small piece of wire hook in your hand. hook it to the bottom of the piece your spraying and hold it in place. if the hook is stiff enough you will be able to rotate the piece with it. i some times "daisy chain" small pieces, one hanging from another then leave a hook on the end to grab when spraying.

slimcat7m3 and Binger like this.
  19. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I use alum. foil to mask off lines,wires etc.
    Just crunch it around wires etc.

20. Here's my fender holding device. I used 1/4" all-thread rod (smaller than factory hardware on purpose). All of the body work was accomplished using this fixture. It fit through my garage service door, so the sanding and painting was done outside. You could lay it carefully down, and turn it upside down, without the fender touching the floor. I simply reversed the brackets when I did the other fender. It ended up in the fire pit because I don't have room to store stuff like this.
    image.jpeg

nunattax, tb33anda3rd and The37Kid like this.
  21. MP&C

MP&C

I like having parts as "stationary" as possible when painting so I use an old clothing rack that I've fitted with additional crossbars (bolt in) that are adjustable to various locations based on part sizes. To keep the parts from moving around, they get suspended from the top, tied to the bottom, and to the side when needed..

[​IMG]

Here bolt threads are taped off and wires wrapped around the tape...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For washers a simple loop wrapped around limits the movement.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For tie rod clamps, a simple loop twist inside holds well....

[​IMG]

I also have a supply of 3/8-16 "eye" bolts that come in handy for hanging parts. Sometimes used in conjunction with rivnuts to minimize the amount of metal unpainted around the bolt holes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lil32, safetythird, stanlow69 and 6 others like this.
  22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

^^ I like the way you set those parts up. I have done similar things but not as good as the ones above. Thanks. this will help me get a bit better with my technique.

23. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

24. Yep, it takes a min to set that up. (That's a great job.)
    With those little pieces About 5x as long to set up as to spray them.
    Having parts swinging into everything while painting them isn't any fun.

brad2v likes this.
  25. LAROKE

LAROKE

To paint a chassis without painting the brake lines, split plastic drinking straws down the side and slip them over the brake lines.

akoutlaw and Sporty45 like this.
  26. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

27. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Hotcoupe,
    WOW!! That is a great wheel painting setup. What is the source of those motors & wheels? Please share the part numbers.
    Thank, Bruce/CT

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And show us what it looks like after spraying on it :)

29. MP&C

MP&C

Should work well for striping!

30. i think the secret to that would be to paint inside the rim first and when dry shoot the exposed areas with the motors taped off.
    i have been trying to come up with a good way to spray wheelS. making a fixture to spin one wheel is a challenge, i want to spin six at the same time. right now i have 6 T stands and i spin the wheel by hand as i spray.
    has anybody done this?

lowcoe likes this.