Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody ever mate a 1940 pickup park brake with an 8 inch rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevinsrodshop, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

My 40 pickup still has the original park brake handle/lever under the dash and I'd like to use it still. I've got an 8 inch Ford rear with the usual drum brakes. I'm trying to engineer up something to mate the factory lever and cable to the cables coming out of the rear drums. Just wondering if anyone has accomplished this in the past and what you used to make it work.

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I will be like some folks on here, I don't know exactly what you have but here is my solution:) I will assume you have a cable from the Park brake lever that snakes down under the cab to the original park brake cable or rod? I had a similar quandary and used a park brake repair kit from Rock Auto and two short cables on the nine inch in my car. Here is the link for the parts I used. No warranty on this solution:)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=616177&jsn=348
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=616179&jsn=344
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=358300&cc=1132489&jsn=585

3. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Yes I have the cable that runs under the cab and just stops. I bought the truck this way. The cables out of the rear drums are tied to the frame rails just to get them out of the way. As of right now neither is long enough to reach together so at the very least I'm buying new longer cables. Thanks for the p/n's vtxl800. That might help too.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

not sure if I remember right, but Mr 40 fatstuff had a cable kit

30TudorSedan likes this.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Not much to engineer...just mount the axle cables correctly and then use an intermediate cable and connectors to extend them to reach the cable from the lever.
    Various connectors and joiners are available (as "VTXL1800" mentioned) from many different suppliers or perhaps even better from a You-Pick where you can see the actual factory layout of various styles of park brake cable runs. You will likely need frame hangers/sliders as well due to the intermediate cable needing to spread out as it goes back.
    I would be looking at pickups, vans and stuff like that rather than modern cars.
    The stuff you need kinda went out of style on cars about 15-20 years ago.

You won't find this hard once you get a look at how its done on other vehicles.

6. fordflambe

fordflambe

Hot Rod Magazine article on installing an electronic E-Brake includes some good pics and instructions on routing and installing cables. If you have a cable from the handle inside the cab, you can use it or replace it with a kit from Lokar. For the rear, Lokar makes a universal kit with all the hardware for your specific rear end. all that remains is to connect the handle to the cables from the rear. In the article you will see what I call a 'bridle' that you may be looking for. See if this article helps.................... http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/1306-e-stopp-push-button/

I am using the original handle in my Sedan Delivery using this very kit........but with a Nova rear end..........been on the road for 15+ years and works just fine.......

7. metalman

metalman

I used a set of Lokar cables on my 40 PU, other then paying for them ($$$) it was easy. Mounted the stock cable to the frame X-member, the Lokar cables per instructions and the brass connector that connects the rear cables together threaded right on to the Ford cable, Easy. I might have a pic of it at work, I could post tomorrow if you want.

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The things you learn doing stuff yourself is priceless, hones new skills and broadens the imagination.

9. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should go have a look at my local Pick n pull and see what they have for ideas.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do it just about like the setup on most mid 70's cars or pickups. I did the park brake on my 48 by running the cable back from the inside and looping the 'intermediate cable so it was placed right to be pulled and adjusted. I used one oem hook on one side and made one for the other side to match what I saw under a mid 70's Chevelle. Rather than spending a lot of time hunting for the just right length cable you can figure out what length you need and either swag a ferrule on the end or have it done at a shop that can do it. Lots of industrial supply houses can do it.
    A quick video on swagging the ferrule on a cable to get your brain to go into high gear on this.

11. Canuck

Canuck

Was going to use the same lever mechanism in my A, just couldn't get it to lay out properly, ended up using a 47 Chevy. Virtually the same lever with different mounting for the cable. This should not affect your install.
    [​IMG]

Used a top cable that I picked up at a swap meet, for a PT Cruiser. Trimmed the lower end to fit into a lug I installed on my Brake pedal/master cylinder mount. You can see it welded on the end of the bracket.
    [​IMG]
    Used rear cables for a 76-77 Maverick Right Rear - Ray # BH36646, Wag # F102001 - 58 3/4" NAPA UP 92873

The whole cable set up design was basically copied from my 64 Malibu.

Welded a cable holder up and bolted it to the frame (by the yellow tag) and made up a pulley mount to turn the cable to go across the frame.
    [​IMG]

The cables were joined together with a clip from a old GM car, same as used on the Malibu. Trimmed the end of one cable to the length needed and brazed a lug on the end. The ends were installed very similar to what Mr48 showed, instead of crimping the end on, I counter bored the ferrule part way and brazed with the cable spread out in the counter bored area first.

The other side also had pivots for a lever mounted on the frame to adjust the ratio of the E-brake lever to what was required by the E-brakes. This also incorporates a adjustment for the cable.

[​IMG]

Cross cable fits into a saddle mounted on the black clevis on the lever and gets it adjustment there. Cable from E-brake lever with a lug brazed on end fits in hook at end of lever. The slotted piece the lever goes thru just keeps the lever level and true during it's travel as room is a little tight under the A.

Works slick. Can't take credit for the design, that goes to GM engineers.

Hope you can make use of a couple of ideas. Yours should be easier as you only need to replace part of the factory set up.

Canuck

PS: If anyone needs a Ford E-brake lever assembly from a late 40s PU (I think same as cars in the 40s) let me know I have a surplus one in stock sandblasted and primed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    The 39 guy and Hackerbilt like this.
  12. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Thanks for the pics and ideas canuck. That looks like a good system.

13. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I had a '41 pickup with a 9" granada rear, basically the same as the 8" I used Ford Fairmont cables from the rear drums up thru a tab welded to the front spring mount on a CE rear spring kit then up to the center cross member to a "U" cable loop with a long 5/16 " bolt hooked to the Stock Ford e-brake cable connection on the center cross member (stock) the rest was all stock '41 same as your '40. I sold the car and do not have photos of that detail but my '40 coupe in the Avatar has the same set up (same frame) I will take pictures if you need them (just got a back yard buddy lift from a neighbor what a grea t labor saver!) & PM them to you and post here later. The front e-brake cable is available from Drake, Carpenter and a host of other early ford supplies
    Hope the verbal desctiption works but I know Pictures are better for clarification.

14. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I have a '40 coupe with a '67 Firebird rearend. I plan to use the stock E-brake handle and cable down to the
    center frame mount. I would like to see pic's of how you did it when you get time. Thanks!

15. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Yes, i used '40 lever assembly, 40 intermediate cable then made a connector bracket that mated the rear cables to the intermediate, easy peasy. I'll check for a pic of the connector,

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm using the Lokar conversion kit on the stock handle end. easy installation

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016