Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

LOOKS good you will have fun -- ;):cool:

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

These pics show the e-brake set up on the 40-48 backing plates.
    1 bar goes between the shoes & 1 goes to the cable.
    These are ebay photos.

Attached Files:

3. mista

mista
    from Finland

Thanks safari-wagon. Those are easy to fabricate.

Yesterday I took the engine off. Getting ready to start boxing the frame. Have to figure out what to do with the steering column and clutch and brake pedals since those are attached to the frame. Part that will be boxed and have to modifyed to get everything back together.

4. mista

mista
    from Finland

Pic

Attached Files:

mctim64 and Jeff34 like this.
  5. mista

mista
    from Finland

What is this rear axle on the car? I have one rusty axle that I was thinking is from model A but it's almost 20mm thinner in diameter measuring from the thickest end of the pipe. And what are those lower control arms on rear end?

Attached Files:

wedjim and Jeff34 like this.
  6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I think posting updates here, as well as your own thread of course, is a great idea. History is what this place is about. We are all helping make it. If it's lucky enough to be around 10-20, how many ever years from now, the owner will know a big part of it's story. That's pretty badass. Thanks Ryan for that. So yeah, I'd be honored sharing this thread with you buddy.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The axle tubes, axles and matching spider gears (important) are 1937-41 Ford. The center section is 1942-48 Ford light truck open drive, carrier and 3:54 ring and pinion. So it's kind of a hybrid, lol. The 42-48 axles and tubes are longer length and, IMO, look bad under a Model A, especially a fenderless car. They are way too wide. So, I made the axle I needed, with stock Ford Parts.

The "control arms" as you called them, are 1937-41 Ford radius rods.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I know I'm biased but, I haven't seen it in a while. Seeing it in someone else's shop is at first, a shock to the system for sure. I've always seen it in familiar surroundings and I guess "got used to seeing it", kind of took it for granted maybe, if that makes sense? My point is, when it was driveable I was pretty sure it looked "right", I hoped so anyway. I poured over all the little books I could find, old photos of period cars from guys like Gator, my old buddy frank who is in the "hot rods of Dearborn" video and my pal Tom at Franks Auto Parts and of course survivors and period builds here on the HAMB that I respected. If I was going to do this battle scared hulk justice, shit had to be real. I used to live for the hunt, the rush when I would stumble onto the perfect piece, like the fuel tank. Captain-Scarlet and I were walking a swap, he looked over and said matter of factly,"there's you're fuel tank", and he was right.....

To be continued

9. I'll miss seeing this little Hot Rod running around the Motor City...loved this truck...if I wasn't so overgrown I would have sold some stuff and it would be sitting in my place...

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Ha. I can only imagine Tiki trying to fold himself into that cab... lol.

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Ok where was I? Oh yeah, the fuel tank. We forgot to go grab it and the swap folks were packing up. Safari-Wagon and I run over and get the guy to unpack half a station wagon to get it out. Then S.W. Lent me the $60 to buy it, lol. No ATM at S.O.S. that year. I had to sell a 36 Ford sedan body for a guy in exchange for the 36 dash. Every piece has a story to tell.

It's bittersweet looking at the new pics in it's new home. My goal was always to make it look like it would have when it was first hot rodded. Like the old pictures and magazines I had poured over. I always thought it was really close, a good direction and foundation for a period hot rod when finished.

My point is,I can finally see it.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    kidcampbell71, mctim64 and wedjim like this.
  12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

He would have needed a Dan Gurney Bump in the roof, GT40 style, lol.

13. Driving that truck for me would be like doing yoga in a sweat box come July...

14. mista

mista
    from Finland

I've been on a phone few hours to finnish transport agency and finnish hot rod accosiation and will have to make a report of every part used in this car so they can check if there is a way to get this car registrated as it is. Biggest "but" I guess for now is the steering. But we will see what else there will be. Safest way for me and I guess the easiest would be to put a flathead in it, but we had a nice talk with everyone and I think I will at least try to get this car legal as it is.

I got a boxing plates today also so I can start to do some progress on the car instead of just watching it.

All the storys on the car are always welcome Scott. I would love to here them. And if you have some pictures of roadtrips, happenings or just cruising I would love to have them.

Puddin Head likes this.
  15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

ANYTHING I can do to help you get it legal there "as is" don't hesitate to contact me. You've got all my contact info, use it as you need to, I'm up for work at 4am nearly everyday and awake until 9pm or so eastern standard time. Safari-Wagon and Captain Scarlet are pretty familiar with the trucks construction and can always get a message to me in a matter of minutes.

Most everything is Original Ford, Original Chevrolet or Vintage Hot Rod parts. With the wealth of knowledge here there are plenty of other HAMBers that can identify all that stuff too. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we are all glad to help.

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

First ride. Me and Ed of course. No doors, open exhaust. I'd do it again in a minute.

kidcampbell71, Jet96, mctim64 and 3 others like this.
  17. mista

mista
    from Finland

Thanks Scott. I Appreciate it. I'm tryin to list every used part and find a original vehicle to it and report what did it weight and home much power did it have. To convince them that these parts can handle the job in this car.

I'm not sure did i see what car the leaf spring are from or are they Model A original? Front and back.

18. mista

mista
    from Finland

Just a little progress. Got the first two pieces of the boxing plate fabricated and I'm quite satisfied how they fit.

It takes time for me to do this since I have three small kids. 6, 3 and 1 year old.. So my garage time is limited only to when they go to sleep. And I'm quite tired at that time also :) But hour after hour little by little and it will be good again.

One photo with my ironhead in front just for kicks :)

It's funny how Scott had one picture of this car with ironhead in same garage.. So it didn't go totally strange place when it moved here.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  19. redzula

redzula

Looks good. That goes for the frame work too. :D

20. mista

mista
    from Finland

kidcampbell71, mctim64 and waxhead like this.
  21. mista

mista
    from Finland

22. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

We are going to miss seeing the ol' truck around here. Scotty's builds always attract a lot of attention at the events he goes to.
    I'm sure that you will see what we mean when you get her back together.

Attached Files:

23. mista

mista
    from Finland

That is a nice pic. Thank you for that. Every picture of this car is always welcome. I'll save them in my computer as a memory of the cars history in US.

The car has its soul and i saw it and felt it the same second i saw this car first time live when i was picking it up. I'll wreally try to keep it as it is. Install the windows, door locks and i'll have to paint the frame black since they don't sell rust-oleum self etching primer in Finland and any other matt green primer.. :(

Sent from my C6603 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Man I always really liked this truck. Glad to see its in good hands!

25. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Mista, the guys in the club were voting for the old Green Apple color that Ford used in the 40s, but Scott never decided on a color. It fits nicely with his liberal use of that primer. Lol

26. mista

mista
    from Finland

The colour is always hardest to decide. I remember when i had to make my mind on the colour of my sportster. I made a good decision and still i liked the look of a bare steel better.

27. mista

mista
    from Finland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last weldings on the frame are done. Made also some small brackets for brake lines.

And now i know that it will be impossible to get this car roadlegal as it is. Here in Finland. So i'll have to put the flathead v8 in it at least for first tech inspection. Now i just have to find one somewhere...

wedjim likes this.
  28. Wow.......I hope that crap never happens here...

29. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

Yeh. Those fu..ers try to limith anything here. Max 140hp engine, 4 links front and back, disc brakes etc...

30. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

And you have to do lots of paper work to get even that....